Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-14-2017, 06:46 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think the former owners would be pleased that their jewelry has gone to someone who appreciates it. Rather than being melted down because it is old-fashioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike40 View Post
I'm sure the money you save justifies the haunted risk... although it might give me pause if they were wearing the jewelry at the time of passing. I'm guessing possession would take all the fun out of retirement...
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2017, 08:09 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post
The DW initiates most online purchases through EBATES. She gets 2%-7% off many purchases. This is in addition to any coupons or other discounts that may apply. EBATES sends you a check.

We booked a hotel last week and EBATES gave us 7% back. Our credit card gives us an additional 2% back.

FN
+1 on Ebates. I use it all the time when I order stuff online. The nice part about Ebates is that the discount you get from them is in addition to any promo codes you also have for the site, as you said. Great deal.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:03 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
After my consultation with the oral surgeon today, that sounds like a great idea. I wonder if any dentures are for sale on eBay or Craigslist?
Just ask the funeral home. They generally have a 5-gallon pail in the back with a few dozen pairs in it. Once you find a pair that fits, put the rest back in the pail for the next person that needs a pair.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:09 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I think the former owners would be pleased that their jewelry has gone to someone who appreciates it. Rather than being melted down because it is old-fashioned.
Yeah, but the ghosts could be upset by your haggling and haunt you. For the rest of your life. And beyond the grave even.

Could be poltergeists with evil intent.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:31 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I'm pondering my annual Costso membership bill I received today that asks for $120 for the annual membership. Attached to that was a rebate check for $5.75. I guess we don't spend "enough" there, but I do get my prescriptions from their pharmacy. As a family of two, I just can't see the savings in that place.

I think with the executive membership if you donít earn enough with the rebate to cover membership cost they will reimburse you. If you donít spend much go for the lower level - I think itís less than $150
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:56 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

If so, they are taking a mortally (hah) long time about it. My first piece of used jewelry was purchased in 1987. No ghosts, yet. Then again, look at what's happened to the world since 1987. Could it all be my fault?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Yeah, but the ghosts could be upset by your haggling and haunt you. For the rest of your life. And beyond the grave even.

Could be poltergeists with evil intent.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:35 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.mask View Post
I think with the executive membership if you donít earn enough with the rebate to cover membership cost they will reimburse you. If you donít spend much go for the lower level - I think itís less than $150
The base level is $60. Recently got it just to buy hearing aids and the upsell at the membership counter was fierce. I'm not going to buy enough to get the other $60 or whatever would be left after the rebate for the hearing aids.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:20 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
The base level is $60. Recently got it just to buy hearing aids and the upsell at the membership counter was fierce. I'm not going to buy enough to get the other $60 or whatever would be left after the rebate for the hearing aids.

Well, I suppose it's like Amazon Prime- they hope the extra $$ you pay will make you "Think Costco First" so you get your money's worth. It works for me because I nearly always have some big- ticket items such as mattresses, new furnace, DH's hearing aids, etc. where there's a massive variety of choices and lots of hype and I can trust Costco to narrow it down. Car tires likely next.

Even as a household of one, it works for me. I just have to buy only the foods that I can eat in those quantities (mostly fresh veggies) or that are frozen or canned.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Even as a household of one, it works for me. I just have to buy only the foods that I can eat in those quantities (mostly fresh veggies) or that are frozen or canned.
Household of one here too. I walked through the whole store, Wegmans app in hand, and I did find a couple things cheaper that I buy anyway. Kirkland vodka and canned chicken are both fine and substantially cheaper than 2 local discount groceries. But even most of the canned goods are not.

Thanks for the tip on big-ticket items. I was thinking electronics, which I need like a hole in the head, but a new mattress ... hmmm.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:29 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

My ladyfriend is a wizard at couponing. Just yesterday, I drove her to a store where she had done a lot of research with coupons and store circulars she views on line. She also has a store discount card she can preload lots of discount offers from the store's website. When I went to pick her up, she had 12-15 bags of groceries including two 10-pound turkeys (39 cents a pound). She then told me the original cost of everything was $120 but after all of her coupons, she paid only $66! I was stunned.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:05 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
Set up an account at Advance Auto's website. You will get online discounts and coupons.
This is one I use.

I do a lot of my own maintenance and mechanic work. I found out I can order the part through Advance website and usually get a 20% discount ... then go down to the store not far from me & pick it up same day. Can't get that discount if I buy it at the store without ordering it online first.

Also ... I get a 10% veterans discount at Lowes. Just take your DD-214 down to the customer service counter and they'll put you in their computer system. Don't have to be active duty or retired. Any honorably discharged veteran qualifies. Once you're signed up for it you just tell them at the register when you make a purchase and give them your phone number, they punch it in & you get the 10% (not sure if it applies to lumber, though)

My wife was heavy into couponing for awhile ... saved us a lot of money, but it's a lot of work too.
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:28 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
Household of one here too. I walked through the whole store, Wegmans app in hand, and I did find a couple things cheaper that I buy anyway. Kirkland vodka and canned chicken are both fine and substantially cheaper than 2 local discount groceries. But even most of the canned goods are not.

Thanks for the tip on big-ticket items. I was thinking electronics, which I need like a hole in the head, but a new mattress ... hmmm.
The roasted chicken is a great deal.

We have a Sam's membership, and while I only earned a $10 credit which they nicely have automated at the checkout and ask if you want to use it, rather than at the end of the year (my understanding) for Costco.

But the main reason I upgraded to Sam's more expensive membership is they give fantastic discounts on drugs compared to the regular membership. It was really worth upgrading for that reason for us.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

We use befrugal/ebates on big ticket items (and make sure to follow up). Cruises are a huge one as we usually get 7-20% cash back which is usually $40 for a cheap cruise for 2 or $150 for the family.

I pay attention to grocery store sales and I'll take advantage of them if it's easy. Our Food Lion (an east coast/mid atlantic grocer) has these deals every month that rotate. Like "buy $40 of meat get $5 off your next purchase" or "buy $10 of frozen food get $2 off next purchase". About 8 categories each month with potential for $25 cash back. I usually hit 3-4 of the categories by paying a little attention so it's an easy $15-20 (and I'm only buying stuff that's cheapest at Food Lion such as BOGO or on sale -and I can walk to the store in 5 mins. so don't mind a special trip to get some exercise). AKA not a lot of extra effort.

Otherwise, we're neck deep in the credit card bonus offer game. Just signed up for 5 cards (and think I only got 3) and I'll land $1000 cash bonus plus 120,000 American Airlines miles (free trip to Europe for 2 or almost enough for cross country domestic flights for 5) - cost out of pocket is $198 for annual fees on credit card. That's how we can do things like 9 weeks in Europe for $8500 (for 5 of us) or 7 weeks in Mexico for $4500 - plane tix and lodging are free or heavily discounted.