Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-03-2018, 08:51 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Is there any requirement informing the CC company of the holder's death? Why say anything to them? Just keep using the card as authorized. It's not your obligation to inform them.

I was curious about DW's credit and so I opened a creditkarma login for her to check. She shares 4 of the same cards I do; 2 Chase cards, 1 Capitol One card and 1 Syncbank card. So some how we are both listed on those 4 cards. The only cards she isn't on is Home Depot, SAM'S and COSTCO. But I only use those cards at those stores and no place else.
On top of that, the security questions asked to identify her to create an account with creditkarma were for our car, financed through the manufacturer; Subaru. I know I bought the car as it was a gift to her from me.
You don't need creditkarma to view your credit reports. Just go to www.annualcreditreport.com and you can get credit reports from the big three for free once a year. I view one of ours every four months on a rotating basis just to check.
45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2018, 09:23 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45th Birthday View Post
You don't need creditkarma to view your credit reports. Just go to www.annualcreditreport.com and you can get credit reports from the big three for free once a year. I view one of ours every four months on a rotating basis just to check.
I wanted to view our credit scores as well as the report. Funny, DW's score is 822 to my 810 (transunion and equifax)

I also view my credit reports every week, not once a year, to check for fraud. Anyone applies for a credit card or other credit, it will show up almost immediately. Creditkarma will send me an e-mail when there is a change to the credit report. A hard inquiry for example, which is a precursor to being issued credit like a car loan or large balance credit card.

creditkarma also has free tax filing for both fed and state including e-file.

There is a 'Credit Score Simulator'. See how a new car loan, for example, might affect your credit score. Or cancelling a credit card. Etc... I discovered that if I had a home loan (currently own my home free and clear), my credit score goes from 810 to 830! And if I add another $10,000 to my credit card limit it goes up 2 points. If I open a new credit card and transfer $10,000 balance, my score goes up 14 points.

creditkarma also, based on your credit score, finds the best credit card offers you are likely to qualify for. I suppose those companies are what funds the site.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:00 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done View Post
At Fidelity, you can grant account access to your spouse under More / Account Features / Authorized Access. This works for taxable and retirement accounts but not for the CC.

“You can grant other individuals the right to view and/or manage your accounts. There are four levels of authorized access: Inquiry Access, Limited Authority, Full Authority, and Power of Attorney (POA).”
Thanks much for this tip!

I had my husband add me as "agent" for his IRAs, which will make my account tracking much easier. I guess they look at relationship, because magically when I logged back into Fidelity his accounts showed up in my view plus now the totals match our monthly statement!! Nice!

https://www.fidelity.com/customer-se...ights-overview
Old 03-03-2018, 06:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
This article: https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/cred...t-cardholders/ states that only the card holder is responsible for paying the bills, "The principal cardholder is the only one legally on the hook for debt on the account" So the issuer needs to be told if the card holder dies since there is no one left alive legally responsible for the bill.
There are 9-1/2 states which are community property states. In those states, The spouse IS generally responsible for the debts of their significant other. The 1/2 state is Alaska where the couple can opt in as community property if they choose. In the states that are not community property, I would think that you have no responsibility for contacting the CC issuer on the death of your spouse. Especially if you don't use the card after the spouses death. You didn't sign the original agreement.

Probably the executor or some other entity may be required to report the death. Perhaps you would be that person. But not simply as the "authorized user".

P.S. I am not a lawyer.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:19 AM   #25

When I logged on to DW's Fido account I saw that in addition to her/our brokerage etc the Visa rewards card is listed as well. No mention of joint or authorized use.
I just got off the phone w/the cc company that handles the Fido Rewards Visa card. It appears that when I applied I stipulated joint ownership vs adding her as an authorized user. Furthermore regarding survivorship there is no need to reapply. However all the caveats of the cardholder agreement apply. Basically they can cancel the card for any reason. Just like any other card.
However DW isn't concerned. She shrugged it off and stated that if I go first she'll loosen the purse strings and a credit card is the least of her concerns.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:24 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
When I logged on to DW's Fido account I saw that in addition to her/our brokerage etc the Visa rewards card is listed as well. No mention of joint or authorized use.
I just got off the phone w/the cc company that handles the Fido Rewards Visa card. It appears that when I applied I stipulated joint ownership vs adding her as an authorized user. Furthermore regarding survivorship there is no need to reapply. However all the caveats of the cardholder agreement apply. Basically they can cancel the card for any reason. Just like any other card.
However DW isn't concerned. She shrugged it off and stated that if I go first she'll loosen the purse strings and a credit card is the least of her concerns.
Interesting - I must not have done that when I applied for the card, but I think if I had been given that option I would have. DH doesn’t see our Fidelity credit card on his login.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:34 AM   #27

Discover and Fidelity VISA are both joint accounts for us. On the others, I'm the account owner and DH is an authorized user, mainly because they don't allow joint accounts.

If you're not sure of your setup, check to see whose name is on the statements. If both names, then it's joint.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote