Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-14-2021, 09:29 AM   #21

Well, sure, replacing cards is a PITA, but whether it's done because your alerts told you about a charge, or in reviewing a statement weeks later, the pain is the same.

It's not mitigated because you had alerts. The alerts just got you there quicker. Having alerts doesn't save you the hassle of card replacement and payment updates.

Not calling anyone creepy for having a check on their spouses use, just saying I would not like that.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2021, 09:30 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Geez, I don't do it to "track" DW,

-ERD50
Well, you're missing out on some good times then!!
Old 11-14-2021, 09:36 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I had a similar thing happen to me. I live in Colorado and had two small under $1 charges hit my card from a Coke a Cola distributor in Georgia. I got email alerts so I contacted my card company right away, but not before someone then went to Walmart and had some “fun”. My credit card company said the small charges were to check if the card was still valid before they presented it for larger amounts.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 10:06 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Well, sure, replacing cards is a PITA, but whether it's done because your alerts told you about a charge, or in reviewing a statement weeks later, the pain is the same.

It's not mitigated because you had alerts. The alerts just got you there quicker. Having alerts doesn't save you the hassle of card replacement and payment updates.
Yes, it can.

The real time alerts help me keep up to date on legitimate charges. So when they suspect fraud, and ask me to verify some recent charges, I could tell them those are legit, not fraud at all. I've already seen them, and knew they were legit.

Without that, and being locked out of my account, I couldn't tell them if they were legit or not, so they would close the account and send me a new card and #. So yes, it can serve to keep from getting a new card issued.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 10:06 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A few points:

It's not just the hassle of changing card numbers. I want to catch the crooks BEFORE they rack up a big expense because it's the right thing to do. I like to think I'm a better person than to just say "Why should I care, it's not my money?"

I get that some spouses might find it creepy to have the other spouse know when they've made a purchase. I count myself fortunate that we're both on the same page with financial matters, and it's not an issue. It's even helpful sometimes so I know when she's done in the store.

Dedicating one credit card to recurring payments helps. I do that. But of course the credit card company can replace the card if your account showed up in some data breach. The fewer places the card is used, the less likely that'll happen. But there's no guarantee.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 11:28 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Yes, I did that too and it worked great until: THAT designated card got corrupted. Having added ALL my automatic payments to this card, this meant a MAJOR effort to re-set them all.
Can't win
Check out Capital One's ENO system. A virtual number for each account. If one is compromied the others keep on working.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 11:43 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
A few points:

It's not just the hassle of changing card numbers. I want to catch the crooks BEFORE they rack up a big expense because it's the right thing to do. I like to think I'm a better person than to just say "Why should I care, it's not my money?" ...
That's a really good point, and if I recall the details correctly, this played out for me a few years back. I see a charge pop up, something related to "STEAM", which I vaguely knew as some sort of computer gaming thing. Asked DW if she bought any computer games as a present for our nephew (who I knew liked computer games). No. I call CC company, and there was apparently some delay between these scammers placing the order and getting the stuff - and the CC company got the order cancelled before they were out the $.

Hmmmm, I don't recall getting a reward for that? Oh well, it still felt good to have played "Super Hero" in some minor way (fighting a never ending battle for truth, justice and the American way.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

I get that some spouses might find it creepy to have the other spouse know when they've made a purchase. I count myself fortunate that we're both on the same page with financial matters, and it's not an issue. It's even helpful sometimes so I know when she's done in the store.

Dedicating one credit card to recurring payments helps. I do that. But of course the credit card company can replace the card if your account showed up in some data breach. The fewer places the card is used, the less likely that'll happen. But there's no guarantee.
Oh yeah. I mean, she says she's going out for groceries and to get gas. Heck, if I don't see the charges pop up, I might wonder if something is wrong. It's hard to see how she would in any way "not like that". I think she appreciates that I'm looking out for her well being. What's not to like? And it's just a side effect of the alerts, it wasn't the reason I got them.

And that's my thinking as well on the one card for auto-pay. No guarantee, but so far so good.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 03:04 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Hmmmm, I don't recall getting a reward for that? Oh well, it still felt good to have played "Super Hero" in some minor way (fighting a never ending battle for truth, justice and the American way.).

Yup. I also answer every phone call I can, and flag it if it's spam. This way the carrier will show "possible spam caller" when this number calls other customers. It costs me nothing, and I feel good that maybe I saved some poor sucker a lot of money, and deprived a scumbag spammer of same.

"Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together."
- Red Green
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 03:59 PM   #29

I was casually checking my Schwab checking account the other day and saw two obviously fraudulent transactions pending. Both were within an hour of each other, for the same amount, a little over $1.00, and for some sort of gaming company, billed through Google.

I have never used that account's debit card for anything but cash from an ATM, and last used it several months ago.

Contacted Schwab and they will take care of it, sending me new debit cards, but I was extremely surprised that the account could be compromised like that. Proving once again that you have to monitor everything.
Old 11-14-2021, 05:38 PM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Yes, I did that too and it worked great until: THAT designated card got corrupted. Having added ALL my automatic payments to this card, this meant a MAJOR effort to re-set them all.
Can't win

I had a fraudulent charge on my CC and it was from a subscription service I never heard of. CC reissued me a new card. Next month, same charge appeared again. I called CC and they said: "we gave the merchant the new card number".

I got flabbergasted! Apparently, for any recurring transactions, such as auto bill pay etc. they have the right to do so!

My Google search agreed with this!
CuriousJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 01:41 AM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I was casually checking my Schwab checking account the other day and saw two obviously fraudulent transactions pending. Both were within an hour of each other, for the same amount, a little over $1.00, and for some sort of gaming company, billed through Google.

I have never used that account's debit card for anything but cash from an ATM, and last used it several months ago.

Contacted Schwab and they will take care of it, sending me new debit cards, but I was extremely surprised that the account could be compromised like that. Proving once again that you have to monitor everything.
Similar thing happened to me since we’ve been living in England with our US bank debit card. Someone used it to buy something and get cash back with the purchase in some town I’ve never heard of in Arizona. That card is only ever used to get cash at an ATM when we visit the USA and it had been at least 2 years since it was last used.

Fingers crossed but we have never had a fraudulent charge on any of our UK cards and we’ve had UK cards many years before we moved back here 5 years ago.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:54 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

We recently had fraudulent charges on our Costco CC. It started out with 2 small Amazon purchases. We have an Amazon CC, used exclusively for Amazon, so obviously fraudulent charges. I did dispute the charges yet as we were going on a trip and I needed to use the card. About a week later, there was a purchase of almost $1,000 for what I assume was a phone by the description. Citibank flagged it and I called which cancelled the card. About a month later, my wife's Costco CC had 2 fraudulent charges of about $190 for a membership and $89 from Amazon again, which I immediately disputed. Her card was cancelled.

I originally thought my card was skimmed somewhere, but with my wife's CC getting hit too, I now assume some sort of data breach. More concerning, is that when I disputed the Amazon charge, a question came up saying it was a Wallet charge. My wife doesn't even know how to pay with her iPhone Wallet, so doesn't have her Costco CC on it and our Amazon account has our Amazon CC in it's wallet.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 09:23 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
We recently had fraudulent charges on our Costco CC. It started out with 2 small Amazon purchases. We have an Amazon CC, used exclusively for Amazon, so obviously fraudulent charges. I did dispute the charges yet as we were going on a trip and I needed to use the card. About a week later, there was a purchase of almost $1,000 for what I assume was a phone by the description. Citibank flagged it and I called which cancelled the card. About a month later, my wife's Costco CC had 2 fraudulent charges of about $190 for a membership and $89 from Amazon again, which I immediately disputed. Her card was cancelled.

I originally thought my card was skimmed somewhere, but with my wife's CC getting hit too, I now assume some sort of data breach. More concerning, is that when I disputed the Amazon charge, a question came up saying it was a Wallet charge. My wife doesn't even know how to pay with her iPhone Wallet, so doesn't have her Costco CC on it and our Amazon account has our Amazon CC in it's wallet.

Costco Data Breach: Card Skimmer Exposes Customers’ Payment Details! Stealing Thousands of Dollars in Fraud Charges
"... the astrologer who lived in a tumbled old tower up the valley, and put in his nights studying the stars. Every one knew he could foretell wars and famines, though that was not so hard, for there was always a war and generally a famine somewhere."
-- Mark Twain, The Mysterious Stranger
Turbo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:48 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

When this happened to me a few years ago, there were two sub-$1 charges the same day.

One was to an auto parts store in a rural town in Idaho. The other was to a greeting card / gift store in Scotland.
isisdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:29 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Credit card fraud often starts small - trying to get verification that the card and PIN are good - and they hope you won't notice.

Citi is generally quick to handle those problems.
papaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:55 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I log into Fido several times/week and check my posted and pending charges on our Fido Visa. It’s our main card, so I want to catch something ASAP.
Mantras: Carpe diem & Gratitude
PointBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:40 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I don't care how long it takes to get a new card. I have plenty of others to use in the interim.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote