Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-12-2021, 05:59 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
we only use the Fidelity 2% cash back. Got $4,216 back in 2020.
Good lord CORN, DW IS buying LOTS of nice dresses.

Its to much work for me. Primary is Marriott Bonvoy, just passed 1,000,000 points, that will be nice retirement trip when this dust settles.
f35phixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2021, 06:53 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
we only use the Fidelity 2% cash back. Got $4,216 back in 2020.
You spent $210,800 on your Fidelity VISA in 2020?

Congratulations!
Old 01-12-2021, 07:08 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Citi Mastercard 2%
Chase 5% categories, when I can bother to keep track of them
Amazon 3%
BJs Mastercard 3% on BJs store and gas station. We drive less now, so it's almost possible to wait a full month to fill up down at the BJs (and pay member price - usually $.25 less per gallon).
I stopped playing the "sign-up bonus" game after it got too cumbersome swapping direct deposits around, etc. etc. Plus, taxes eat a quarter of the bonus.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:16 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
You spent $210,800 on your Fidelity VISA in 2020?
I thought I remembered something like this!

Quote:
My expenses are $118k / year.
They taught me one important thing, way back when... when interpreting finances, the most interesting things are found in the footnotes!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:15 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
... When interpreting finances anything, the most interesting things are found in the footnotes!
fify.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:29 PM   #66
Confused about dryer sheets

You get 2.6 using travel reward card. Then you transfer 2.6 points from travel to premier reward card and still retain 2.6 when cashing out right from premier cardís end correct? Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Good question. Let me explain further as how I use the cards.
I originally got the Travel card for maximizing the travel rewards % by booking through the BOA site, which I think uses Orbitz. The deals were worse using the BOA site, even after subtracting the rewards value. IIRC, the rewards rate was between 4 and 5%.
So I now effectively use the card for automatic bill paying at 2.625% rewards, so hoping the card is better protected from fraud. The types of bill paying are not the 5.25% choices that one has on the Cash reward cards.

Next step is I transfer the points to my Premier card and redeem for cash. The Premier card I use as my default card, except for the Groceries/Special categories that I use on the cash cards. This rate is 2.625%.

Lastly, I use my 3 different Cash cards for the categories mentioned above. I maximize the quarterly 2500 maximum dollars/points usage each quarter, so I can't use these cards for travel.
NNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:57 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNNN View Post
You get 2.6 using travel reward card. Then you transfer 2.6 points from travel to premier reward card and still retain 2.6 when cashing out right from premier cardís end correct? Thank you
Yes that is effectively correct. This way I effectively receive the Premier card 2.625% cash rewards for Travel card points instead of a lesser rate on the Travel card if I had cashed it out on that card.
Thus if one doesn't take the travel statement credit on the Travel card and instead would take the cash reward on the Travel card, then the value of the Travel card reward goes down.
Kind of a discovered good quirk.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:20 AM   #68
Dryer sheet aficionado

For those who have the Amex Blue Pref (6% Grocery) for Wal-mart pick up it codes as grocery (not sure about delivery). Of course if you use it in the store it does not. This applies to BOA Cash Reward cards too.

Earned 15k in CC and bank bonuses last year. The bottom line is no one should be earning less than 2% cash back on every purchase.
foxcreek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:34 AM   #69

Good info foxcreek! We had the 6% grocery at $95 per year but my analysis was sans Walmart grocery because it was pre-curbside. I'm thinking my choice to drop Amex might have not been as much of a slam-dunk if curbside was coded as grocery.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:41 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcreek9 View Post
Earned 15k in CC and bank bonuses last year. The bottom line is no one should be earning less than 2% cash back on every purchase.
If you just received 2% back in cash, you would have to spend $750K on credit cards in a year. I just have a hard time imagining that. Even with rotating higher cash back and bank bonuses, I don't see how anyone can do this on a regular basis. Our best year ever was because we had a new roof, new windows and new siding paid for by insurance (severe hail/ice storm) and the contractor accepted our credit card. We also made the final payment on a fairly expensive Asian cruise that year (actual cruise was the following year). Plus other charges, we ran about $3,000 cash back that year. When we open new airline credit cards, we receive a significant number of points - are you counting the fare value of those in your calculations? One year we did get to fly RT business class to Paris with points. That was worth a few grand. But that doesn't happen often.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:53 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNNN View Post
You get 2.6 using travel reward card. Then you transfer 2.6 points from travel to premier reward card and still retain 2.6 when cashing out right from premier cardís end correct?
This is what I suspected. Then, it looks like I don't need this setup as my current situation is actually better at least for groceries: two rotating quarters with 5% cash back (Chase or Discover), remaining two quarters with permanent 3% cash back (Andrews) which in average would be 4%.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:21 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex The Great View Post
This is what I suspected. Then, it looks like I don't need this setup as my current situation is actually better at least for groceries: two rotating quarters with 5% cash back (Chase or Discover), remaining two quarters with permanent 3% cash back (Andrews) which in average would be 4%.
Sounds correct. I assume you have no yearly fees on your cards.

As best as possible, I try to use my 3 rewards cards to maximize the 5.25% aspect of the cards, with of course groceries filling in the 3.5% blanks.

The 2.625% is not used for groceries. I get 3.5%, which of course is still less than your 4% average.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:25 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For those who have the Amex Blue Pref (6% Grocery) for Wal-mart pick up it codes as grocery (not sure about delivery). Of course if you use it in the store it does not. This applies to BOA Cash Reward cards too.

That’s interesting!

I knew that in store did not count.

I may try curbside pick up some time. The Walmart near DF’s place finally started offering it.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:28 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Don't have AMEX, but kind of surprised as BOA codes "Grocery" for Walmart and all the superstores irrespective of what is purchased.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:32 PM   #75

Quote:
Don't have AMEX, but kind of surprised as BOA codes "Grocery" for Walmart and all the superstores irrespective of what is purchased.
They might be gracious with the points because a majority of card holders will ultimately pay $2,823 for $250 of groceries.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:21 PM   #76

Quote:
My Penfed Visa also codes all Walmart purchases as grocery. I still have the old platinum signature reward card (5% gas, 3% grocery, 1% all other).
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:51 PM   #77
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
If you just received 2% back in cash, you would have to spend $750K on credit cards in a year. I just have a hard time imagining that. Even with rotating higher cash back and bank bonuses, I don't see how anyone can do this on a regular basis. Our best year ever was because we had a new roof, new windows and new siding paid for by insurance (severe hail/ice storm) and the contractor accepted our credit card. We also made the final payment on a fairly expensive Asian cruise that year (actual cruise was the following year). Plus other charges, we ran about $3,000 cash back that year. When we open new airline credit cards, we receive a significant number of points - are you counting the fare value of those in your calculations? One year we did get to fly RT business class to Paris with points. That was worth a few grand. But that doesn't happen often.

Didn't say I only earned 2%, I said if you don't earn at least 2% you are doing it wrong. I churn CC and bank accounts plus some manufactured spending (although that has become harder to do) and I would say I earn, on average, about 3.5% cash back on every dollar spent.
foxcreek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:02 PM   #78

Quote:
Didn't say I only earned 2%, I said if you don't earn at least 2% you are doing it wrong. I churn CC and bank accounts plus some manufactured spending (although that has become harder to do) and I would say I earn, on average, about 3.5% cash back on every dollar spent.
I understood that your percentage was over 2%. However, even 3.5% would mean that you charged about $425K during the past year. Unless you are doing business spending, which is not an option for most people, it still appears unlikely. Churning and bank bonuses don't make that much of a difference.
beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:53 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Interesting! I didnít know that.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:35 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I understood that your percentage was over 2%. However, even 3.5% would mean that you charged about $425K during the past year. Unless you are doing business spending, which is not an option for most people, it still appears unlikely. Churning and bank bonuses don't make that much of a difference.
You'd be surprised how much money you can make off CC bonuses alone, you don't have to charge near as much as you're saying to make a good chunk (points can be resold in the grey market, for example). Not to mention bank bonuses which only require money deposited for a period of time in most cases. And manufactured spending is not real spending, it's just legwork (sometimes pajama work) with some fees to get CC rewards that exceed your costs. Charging $50k or more a month can be done with MS in your spare time if you have the right methods, some people go way higher and make a living off of it.

I wouldn't recommend most of this to folks in this thread who just want to maximize everyday spend rewards, just saying that it's not hard to make a lot of money every year off of CCs and banks.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote