Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Credit Freeze oops with Equifax?
Old 10-12-2015, 10:36 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Credit Freeze oops with Equifax?

I just got around to freezing my credit with the 3 biggies starting with Equifax.

I got all the way thru the process, was charged $10 for the freeze, got to the confirmation page with the big bold warning that I needed to print the information below using the Adobe Print Button.

Problem was, there was no print button and the page below the generic info was blank.

For those that froze credit with Equifax, what was on this supposed page with the required info?
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't remember having to print anything out - I've been with them about 10 months
Old 10-12-2015, 10:53 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It might have been the PIN number you will need if you ever want to unlock your credit report with them. All three of the credit bureau agencies gave me a PIN.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:53 AM   #4

The information page they wanted you to print out contained the 10-digit PIN they assigned. You need that in order to lift the freeze.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:59 AM   #5

Awesome.

Experian asked me to generate my own PIN to unfreeze and was not charged anything.

Transunion required me to create an account first w/ user name and password (Equifax and Experian did not) before I could get to the freeze credit request, did that, was charged $10, and I was able to generate my own PIN to unfreeze.

I guess I need to somehow contact Equifax and get a PIN?
Old 10-12-2015, 11:33 AM   #6

Just another confirmation that if something can go wrong with computers, websites and software, I'm the poster child.

Found the contact info for Equifax via the helpful Freeze/Thaw guide that was posted in this forum before.
http://www.clarkhoward.com/credit-freeze-and-thaw-guide

Called the number, got to talk with an actual human relatively quickly, answered some security questions, got my transaction confirmation number and my PIN.

Whew.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:36 AM   #7

Question. Can I freeze credit for DH and I or do we need to each do it individually?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-12-2015, 12:09 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Yes, the PIN to freeze/unfreeze. I ended up printing a copy (sometimes old fashioned method is the best method) of the PINs of each credit reporting company, placed the printouts in an envelop in my safe since I expect to lock/unlock my security during my life time -- not a once a time thing.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:03 PM   #9

Both DW and I have freezes on; after all with a SSN someone can abuse either of a couple. We were lucky in that NC is one of the states where freezing and unlocking costs nothing. I've unlocked once or twice...easy peasy...just spec for how long. Also, ask whoever needs it unlocked which one, most cases only one unlock necessary.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
Question. Can I freeze credit for DH and I or do we need to each do it individually?

You would need to do it individually.

Equifax and Experian only require to know SSN and DOB (along with name and address).

Transunion required me to create a user account with username and password, along with asking some security related questions. You may not know these for DH, plus you would need separate accounts for yourself and DH.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:29 AM   #11

Thank you BBQ Nut!

Old 10-13-2015, 08:36 AM   #12

I think my heart skips a beat when I see Credit and Oops in the same sentence. ;-)
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

For future reference, learn how to use the "snipping tool" on your PC. Not sure what it is called on Mac, but they have similar.

Very useful.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
For future reference, learn how to use the "snipping tool" on your PC. Not sure what it is called on Mac, but they have similar.

Very useful.
Wouldn't have worked as the info area was blank.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:27 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

I did a credit freeze this weekend and the same thing happened to me. I guess when I want to unfreeze with Equifax I will need to jump thru some hoops to get it removed. They must have some system in place for people who cannot remember their PIN, right?
potto0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by potto0213 View Post
I did a credit freeze this weekend and the same thing happened to me. I guess when I want to unfreeze with Equifax I will need to jump thru some hoops to get it removed. They must have some system in place for people who cannot remember their PIN, right?
Yes - they do.

For future reference - bookmark this page
Credit Freeze and Thaw Guide | Clark Howard

In the section for Equifax it says:
Quote:
If your PIN is late arriving, call 1-888-298-0045. They will ask you for some ID and arrange for your PIN to be sent to you in 4-7 days.
In my case I just called and talked to the operator that I never got a PIN in the first place using the on-line feature. And I got one over the phone after answering some security/ID questions.

They are also sending me one by snail-mail so I have a copy for my records. Easy peasy. I'd suggest you call now to get your PIN before trying to unfreeze it.