Join Early Retirement Today

Credit Report Lock
Old 08-26-2004, 09:58 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Credit Report Lock

Since most of us probably aren't applying for credit post-ER, this seems like a useful weapon against identity theft:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ecurity_freeze

Anybody try it?
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Credit Report Lock
Old 08-27-2004, 05:40 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Whoopee! I'll be 62 next July and I live in Louisiana and some jerk wad in Texas tryed to use my name to make internet purchases last year - the Bank One computers caught it as an unusual spending pattern - had to spend some time at the bank with their computer to staighten it out - ? 4 hrs?
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 05:48 AM   #3

Hey, there is no crime in Texas . Funny no one's
tried to steal my identity. You'd think everyone would want to be me

John Galt
Old 08-27-2004, 08:11 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I finally realized what a huge scam the credit bureaus(sp ) are. Anything to shut this monster down is alright by me.

I guess they started out to serve a legitimate use, but I think the process crossed the line when they came up with the various credit scoring process. A couple of years ago, they would not even tell a consumer what thier score was....now they are hawking the data and providing all sorts of info on how the scores are calculated....once you know the formula, you can manipulate your score. They tell me if my balance is less than 50% of the maximum for a given credit account, it helps my score, so I can simply ask the bank to raise my credit line...am I really a better risk?

If you shop around for a loan, I understand it can lower your score due to having several inquiries on record.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:53 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
If you shop around for a loan, I understand it can lower your score due to having several inquiries on record.
Although several inquiries at the same time, for the same sort of thing, are obviously not a sign of trouble but a sign of shopping around. I read somewhere that the shopping-around issue doesn't trouble your score much, because they take into account a group of inquiries close in time as being credit-shopping. If, however, you inquire from time to time, or are constantly poking around for more credit, that would count against your score.

There really should be more transparency in the process, though. You heard that, I read this - who can say for sure what's in their scoring programs?

Anne
trumpeting_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Yes, we've had a security freeze on since 2004. We've never had a need to release it.

Note that you have to pay these extortionists to not release information about you. It was $10 per agency per person, so for you and spouse, we're talking $60. Same for a temporary release.