Join Early Retirement Today

credit score dropped 100 points
Old 08-26-2018, 06:21 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

credit score dropped 100 points

Hi, I have a question about my credit score and getting my free yearly report.

I have a cc account and home loan with chase and they have a credit score app
that lets you check weekly. So I started checking it just to see and it's been at about 810-822 for quite awhile(bought new car in 2016 and it was 822 then)
and about 3 weeks ago I checked and it was mid 700's,last week low 700's !!

I have not changed anything,so I'm a little concerned to say the least. So I tried to do the free online report for the big 3 but it says it wont send an online report, there were no errors on my form.

I really don't want to mail copies of my ss card or dl or some of the others they requested if I can avoid it.

So long story short, have any of you been able to do the online check or should I not worry about it and just mail it in? Thanks
jeffd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2018, 06:34 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

It just goes to prove the limited usefulness of the whole credit scoring and reporting system. Unfortunately, we are probably stuck with it.
Lewis Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:47 AM   #3

For that big of a change I would definitely get a more detailed report. Something sounds very off. I'd probably also do an credit freeze asap as well, until you find out what is going on.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:43 AM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for the response, I already froze the 3 about 1-1 1/2 ago. I was wondering though why do they have the online request for reports if they're not going to give you the report, am I missing something? If I went to my bank
can they run a report for me?
Old 08-26-2018, 07:47 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Try creditkarma.com. It allows one to check their score at two of the big three once a week.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:59 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niuatoputapu View Post
Try creditkarma.com. It allows one to check their score at two of the big three once a week.
+1. I use Credit Karma as one of my warning checks with fraud amongst other checks.
Cost nothing.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:36 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When our identity was stolen, or better said a business account was opened in DH name without his knowledge, my cc score went down 30 pts. After correcting the mess and I mean mess, took about 6 months and credit score went back up. Credit score going down 100 points, big problem there.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:20 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I bought a new riding mower with my credit card and it dropped my score a fair amount. After I paid the next bill, it jumped back up.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:24 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Get onto a site like Credit Karma and see if anything unusual happened. This could be a mistake on somebody's part, or it could be a sign that criminals are faking your identity and running up big unpaid bills in your name. If so, you need to get on that fast.

After you get your credit reports from all three agencies (TransUnion, Equifax and Experian ) make sure you freeze all three accounts, ASAP. Keep in mind that since the Equifax breach, many of us have lost control of our identity information. It's out there, in the wild, for the bad guys to use.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:43 AM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi again and thanks for the help !

I have been trying to register at credit karma but it stalls at step 3 because I have a freeze at trans union. so went and temporarily lifted at all 3 effective today, so how long should it take for credit karma be able to finish registration?

Sorry for all the questions,just a little concerned. Thanks again
Old 08-26-2018, 11:21 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I froze our credit last fall after the Equifax breach. I needed to unfreeze it back in the winter to install Dish TV at our winter home. Could not get it unthawed, ended up getting a roof top antenna and a smart tv. Our neighbor shares his internet so we got by ok. We tried for two weeks to unfreeze it. Equifax would tell us it was NOT froze, but the folks at Dish were not able to run a credit check. It has become unfroze sometime since, but now I'm leary of freezing again.
calico1597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:15 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Clark View Post
It just goes to prove the limited usefulness of the whole credit scoring and reporting system. Unfortunately, we are probably stuck with it.

+1000
Old 08-26-2018, 12:18 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

OP
My chase account includes a monthly or weekly credit report (1 bureau) with quite a bit of detail if you drill down. I think it’s called Credit Journey and also has a ‘what if’ credit score simulator. Have you tried that?
Old 08-26-2018, 12:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by calico1597 View Post
I froze our credit last fall after the Equifax breach. I needed to unfreeze it back in the winter to install Dish TV at our winter home. Could not get it unthawed, ended up getting a roof top antenna and a smart tv. Our neighbor shares his internet so we got by ok. We tried for two weeks to unfreeze it. Equifax would tell us it was NOT froze, but the folks at Dish were not able to run a credit check. It has become unfroze sometime since, but now I'm leary of freezing again.
Maybe Dish is using one of the other reporting agencies and not Equifax?
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:43 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

This somewhat historic thread is helpful in freezing credit at the four credit agencies and also shutting down related stuff:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...acy-76730.html
CDRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I bought a new riding mower with my credit card and it dropped my score a fair amount. After I paid the next bill, it jumped back up.
That reminded me...back in 2016 I had a credit card that let me do balance transfers with 0% for something like 18 months, and a low transfer fee. So, over the course of a few months, I charged EVERYTHING, including a new riding mower, on one credit card, and used the balance transfers to pay it off. I figured it was akin to borrowing money at around 2% for 18 months.

Anyway, at its peak I think I got that credit card up to around $14K in balance transfers. But then, I saw what it did to my credit score. I had been around 820-825, according to Credit Karma. But, once I had that big 0% balance, I got dinged hard and knocked down to around 790. Even though my overall credit utilization was only around 10%, I got hit because on that one card the limit was $15K, and they didn't like the fact that I was near the limit. Nevermind all the other credit cards I had that had a zero balance...they just focused on that one.

I think once I got the balance down to around 50% on that one card, my score started going up.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:11 PM   #17

I get twitchy when my credit score drops more than 10 points and start seeking an answer which in my case a 10 point swing is normal, a 100 point move would send me off the deep end.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Clark View Post
Actually the credit scoring system does work. I use credit Karma(free service) often to get a quick snapshot of my entire credit picture. Thats 2 minutes to see everything and not hassle with a credit freeze.

If there is a change to my credit score or new activity, credit Karma will notify me immediately to confirm it.

My score is now 820 on credit karma so if it dropped to 720 I would be able to see the reason for the score change.

The cool thing about credit karma is that they explain in detail why your credit score is what it is.
purplesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:00 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
That reminded me...back in 2016 I had a credit card that let me do balance transfers with 0% for something like 18 months, and a low transfer fee. So, over the course of a few months, I charged EVERYTHING, including a new riding mower, on one credit card, and used the balance transfers to pay it off. I figured it was akin to borrowing money at around 2% for 18 months.

Anyway, at its peak I think I got that credit card up to around $14K in balance transfers. But then, I saw what it did to my credit score. I had been around 820-825, according to Credit Karma. But, once I had that big 0% balance, I got dinged hard and knocked down to around 790. Even though my overall credit utilization was only around 10%, I got hit because on that one card the limit was $15K, and they didn't like the fact that I was near the limit. Nevermind all the other credit cards I had that had a zero balance...they just focused on that one.

I think once I got the balance down to around 50% on that one card, my score started going up.

Disclaimer: while I do believe credit history is a reasonable way to assess credit worthiness, the idea of a credit score as typically utilized is just a scam in my opinion to generate revenue from data. That said, I have frequently queried credit scoring “experts” about the issue of xfering balances to a card with favorable terms which does not impact overall utilization ratio. The response to my queries ranged from crickets to vague comments like “ it should not affect my score, but it might. “. I suspect the formula does punish borrowers that attempt to benefit from favorable balance xfer terms.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:08 PM   #20

Self checking, and monitoring checks do not count as credit inquiries and should have no impact on score.I have two services which do this monthly and my score rarely budges more than 5 points.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote