Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-02-2014, 08:52 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DS took a career class at a local junior college that included a variety of personality and career aptitude tests. He already knew what his interests were, so there were no surprises, but I was impressed that the tests identified pretty well the handful of majors he had already considered. I suspect for someone else the tests might identify some careers they hadn't thought of or even knew existed.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Setting aside the issue of ERE, whatever you do get out of that job as quickly as possible. Those hours are insane by any rational standard.
danwhite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Wow, for an early retirement board, it is interesting to see this much push back. Yeah, that's not much money for complete retirement. But it is impressive at that age, and the plan is feasible.

... I'm surprised to find so much of the "you're too young to retire" nonsense here that encounter in real life. Work sucks, avoid it when possible.
I would retire today if I could, but there are two sides to this: (1) the draw to do what you want with your time; (2) the necessity to be able to survive and enjoy life. Based on his posts, OP is thinking entirely about (1) and receives an "incomplete" in (2), IMO.

The right answer, IMO only, is for him to get out of that job. A lot of things are going to change in the next 10, 20, 40 years, and I don't think he's got nearly enough of a "buffer" to absorb those changes. Yes, he can work "odd jobs" or what have you, but he should also consider that taking several years off from his chosen profession is going to make him less employable in that field should he ever need/want to get back into it.

I think people are giving him prudent advice, and IMO that's the purpose of this board, not simply advocating that ER is right for everyone.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
think about it...
Old 03-02-2014, 12:00 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

think about it...

You've got more savings than most people your age to start with and at least you're not planning to go out and spend it all! If you think you can be happy living on minimal wage, why not give it a try? But, that said, I would do the project for your employers, it's not THAT much more of your time, and you can leave on a good note. I definitely believe in 'don't burn your bridges' even if, right now, you're absolutely positive you will never go back to that job, or that it'd affect your references. Like everyone says, things & people change, and you never know what will happen. Afterwards, see what you want to do. Quit, travel, take a sabbatical and find a life you'll be happy with... and you'll have the nest egg for backup.
Kim451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balance, ere