Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-25-2017, 11:17 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Real-estate crowdfunding smells. It smells of novelty, faddishness, and over-enthusiastic millennials.

Even so, I'm signed up as an investor on several sites (Fundrise, etc.).

Every time I get ready to invest something, I get an email like this one, which I got the other day from RealtyMogul, announcing a new investment opportunity:

"We partnered with an experienced Real Estate Company that reports to have owned and managed a collective $5 billion in real estate. They currently operate three other properties in the Minneapolis area through a different entity." [emphasis mine]

"Reports to have owned and managed"?

"through a different entity"?

Yikes!
Yeah, when I looked at a few of the offering I thought RealtyMogul seemed to have less quality than a few of the others. I've been pleased with RealtyShares and RealCrowd.
Terhathum123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2017, 11:25 AM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
I have done quite a few deals as an accredited investor, though only one (apartment buildings) in real estate. One of the more interesting rides was Gaming Corp.: Ho-Chunk dispute settled for $42M | National | journaltimes.com We actually owned some real estate but it was not a real estate deal.

My view has always been that any deal being hawked to the general public is a deal that is not good enough to sell easily and privately and, hence, nothing I am interested in. This emphatically includes deals that involve a color brochure and a salesman, but I would tend to put crowdfunding into the same category. This may be somewhat unfair because the promoter may simply be someone who is too naive to know how to sell a deal privately, but (a) that would be a warning bell on its own and (b) if I am being unfair, so what? It's my money.

The world has changed, though, and there are now investor options for unaccredited investors permitted into smaller and simpler deals. I have a nephew-in-law who just funded a $400K solar energy project that way. It was interesting and, if arms-length, I might have taken a piece. But investing with someone in the family does not feel like a wise thing to me and he, fortunately, agreed.

If I were thinking of the crowfunding route I would take the time to find out what my state's current options are for this sort of thing are and find out about whatever national changes there may have been. The last thing I would want to get into is a deal that is totally or marginally prohibited. The easiest way out of a stinky deal is to not get into it in the first place.
I don't necessarily agree with your blanket statements crowdfunding sites hawking bad products. But, I am interested in getting into more private deals and, it sounds like you've had some variety. How do you find your private deals?
Terhathum123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:06 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terhathum123 View Post
I don't necessarily agree with your blanket statements crowdfunding sites hawking bad products. But, I am interested in getting into more private deals and, it sounds like you've had some variety. How do you find your private deals?

I go through a hard money lending broker to find deals.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote