Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-20-2017, 02:59 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
That would be a dealbreaker for me. I liked many of the people with whom I worked, but not THAT much- male or female!
I traveled with some folks from a local area bank, 1990, they were 2x to a room. You only had to share with same sex others. Obviously that plan could have issues. I don't know if that's still their policy.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2017, 03:05 PM   #62

At the last place I was employed, nearly everyone I worked with had a CD player on their desk and wore headphones all day. Sometimes we turned the CD player on, but mainly we wore the headphones to block out the sound from all the others in adjoining cubes.

But one of the most interesting situations was my very first job in the military.
My office was literally inside the computer. It was the (physically) largest computer ever built (all vacuum tubes) and took up an entire floor of the building. Unfortunately, my office was in a corner right next to an enormous line printer and when they ran reports on it you had to really speak up to make yourself heard across the room.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:14 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
At the last place I was employed, nearly everyone I worked with had a CD player on their desk and wore headphones all day. Sometimes we turned the CD player on, but mainly we wore the headphones to block out the sound from all the others in adjoining cubes.

But one of the most interesting situations was my very first job in the military.
My office was literally inside the computer. It was the (physically) largest computer ever built (all vacuum tubes) and took up an entire floor of the building. Unfortunately, my office was in a corner right next to an enormous line printer and when they ran reports on it you had to really speak up to make yourself heard across the room.
I often wore the foam rubber ear plugs. For a couple years I'd cover them with shooting muffs. Didn't hurt they had a prominent S&W emblem on them.

Cool story about the system.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Very interesting reading about experiences of the engineering types. I've been gone almost 30 years now and still miss it in some ways. My wife never lets me forget it. We recently moved and wife wanted some wall shelving in her sewing room to display some of her goodies. Now that I'm somewhat handicapped, we have to hire most things, like shelving, out to a handy man.
Rather than rely on verbally instructing him on how I wanted this done, I made an "engineering drawing" on an 8x11 sheet of paper, with dimensions, and specifics on which corner of the room to begin laying it out. When we met to go over the layout he looked at the drawing as if he had never seen anything that detailed. The look on his face was odd. He said, "why didn't you just tell me what you wanted?". Not knowing his skill level, I said "I thought this might be an easier way of describing the job details". He said, "I know what you want and I can do that, but this drawing is way to complicated". My wife then chimed in and said, "see, I told you". She was right again. It was kind of like me getting back into the old days. Had to get involved. PS: The shelves look great.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:56 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

^ you done right by making the drawing, JOHNNIE. You could have told the guy what you wanted, but who knows if he would have understood or followed your directions. Your drawing is documented evidence of what you want. A picture is worth a thousand words.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:24 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffInSeattle View Post
Then some very senior manager got the open floor plan bug. Now we all sit in 7 x 7 foot stalls, with low partitions, ending any semblance of privacy. The place looks like an Ikea showroom. And the distractions of overheard conversations, people walking by, and the sense that the guy behind you is looking at your monitor, is the pits. Not enough room for my gear, so we use a communal lab area, much less convenient. I'm the most senior engineer in the company but my work space is now the same as a call center employee's.

THE GOOD NEWS: Next week is my last. At age 61 I'm out of there as of January 2. Given the above, it's just in time! Adios!!

Does the person in the cubicle behind you know you are retiring? Why not create some interesting stories for the office cube farm by surfing on some interesting websites before you go? See if they are looking over your shoulder....
Old 12-21-2017, 10:42 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
^ you done right by making the drawing, JOHNNIE. You could have told the guy what you wanted, but who knows if he would have understood or followed your directions. Your drawing is documented evidence of what you want. A picture is worth a thousand words.

+1
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote