Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-09-2017, 01:06 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like where I live so I don't count it. I could live much cheaper somewhere else but the crime would go up and then I might not like it. I face a temptation to live cheap like other face it to live fancy. I figured if I moved I could save 10k a year but if there was crime then it would be less than 10k
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Good observation. I think the main reason I still run it often is that it is an acquired habit, in much the same way that some people instinctively check their cellphones or computers for e-mails on a regular basis, or others check into an online forum just a little too regularly to see if there are any new posts (guilty on all counts )
I haven't run FC for quite some time, for at least as long as this bull market. Now, if the market were to decline 30% I would probably feel inclined to revisit it again, even though my original run is supposed to include these periodic downturns.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:37 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
I would add that most of us didn’t get to ER by a) not sweating the details and b) not being fully engaged financially speaking.

Speaking for myself, I retired over two decades ago; and, have a hopeful three more decades to plan for (give or take).

An awful lot can change, both positive and negative, over a 50 year span. So I figure best to keep an early warning system in place to head off any issues before they ever start. Financial calculators play a role in that regard...
Totally agree but I don’t understand how FC would work as much of a early warning system? The decline of your portfolio is a pretty simple early warning system I guess along with an increase in WR. . What else do you use?
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:46 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Totally agree but I donít understand how FC would work as much of a early warning system? The decline of your portfolio is a pretty simple early warning system I guess along with an increase in WR. . What else do you use?

Honestly in the case of FC its early warning value is more in that it lets me consider future spending levels; and so, act accordingly on whether to buy my yacht!

Speaking of yachts did you know the recently deceased Hugh Hefner (RIP) declared: money canít buy happiness but it can buy a yacht and Iíve never seen an unhappy man on his yacht.
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote