Join Early Retirement Today

Current choices for Cash Back Credit Cards
Old 09-12-2020, 12:26 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi all,

I’m looking for opinions and suggestions for a new Credit Card. Preferably with no Annual fee and at least 1.5% cash back. I’m a careful user of CC’s and currently have only two. (Isn’t that enough?)
I’ve had the Alaska Air card for years as Alaska served my needs. But, since I’m not comfortable traveling in the pandemic, cancelled it at AF renewal. I’m concentrating on cards that now pay just cash back. I put almost all our expenses on a CC and never pay interest. So let me know what you think.
gwix98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2020, 12:31 PM   #2
Administrator

The Fidelity Rewards Visa gives 2% cash back and has no annual fee.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:13 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The Fidelity Rewards Visa gives 2% cash back and has no annual fee.
you do need a Fidelity acct to deposit into to get 2%; else 1%.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:37 PM   #4

I don't have it, but I believe PayPal has a credit card that pays 2% back, and no fee.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:26 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I don't have it, but I believe PayPal has a credit card that pays 2% back, and no fee.
i have that card and it is fine, especially if you like to use paypal for buying online. You can choose the Paypal Mastercard 2% cashback on everything or Paypal Credit which is no interest for 6 months on purchases >$99. The downside to me is you have to request the cashback and the very confusing web interface via Synchrony.
Old 09-12-2020, 02:37 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

BOA has a cash rewards CC with no fee and a 1.5% payback.
If one 100k with ML, then there are quarterly category rewards at 5.25% capped at 2,500 spending per quarter. Additionally 3.5% on groceries within that 2,500 cap.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:57 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Citi Double Cash gives 1% when you purchase and 1% when you pay the bill.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:02 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
you do need a Fidelity acct to deposit into to get 2%; else 1%.
Good point, thanks. I have a Fido account and didn’t stop to think about that. I do like that Fido just deposits the 2% cash into my investment account monthly.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:06 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
BOA has a cash rewards CC with no fee and a 1.5% payback.
If one 100k with ML, then there are quarterly category rewards at 5.25% capped at 2,500 spending per quarter. Additionally 3.5% on groceries within that 2,500 cap.
+1
And you get to specify the category rewards at 5.25%.

So I have mine set at online shopping all the time, as that one works best for me.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:05 PM   #10

I have the fido card and make around $1200 per year just for using it. I do pay my credit card in full every month.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:44 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Capital One Quicksilver MC has no annual fee and 1.5% cash back. The cash back is no hassle - it's on everything, all the time, no limits, no rotating categories, etc. You can get it credited to your statement, or deposited into your checking, or a few other options. I have mine set up to auto-pay to my credit card whenever it builds up to $25.

Yes, there are other options that pay out at a higher rate, but it seems most of them (except Citi Double Cash) come with hoops to jump through. For me, whose eligible annual credit card spending is maybe only $25K, it's not worth the hassle. If I were spending $80K-$100K, I'd probably focus on it more.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:30 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by googily View Post
+1 and since we have it on autopay and never carry a balance, to me it is just 2% cash back on everything... no categories or anything like that... simple.

And my Citi card gets me into the Citi pavilion at the PGA's Farmers Insurance Open and Honda Classic.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:55 AM   #13

Chase Freedom Unlimited has no fee, offers 1.5% cash back with no maximum limit. No quarterly categories, but some special one-off (i.e., Dash Delivery free for 3 months, 50% off delivery charges for a year - if you use this service).
Old 09-13-2020, 12:08 PM   #14

Fidelity is a no brainer if you have an account with them. 2%, no hassles. This is my go to card.

You can find a lot of 1.5% cards too if you look around. My kids have one from a local credit union (BECU). Seems to work fine. OP is from Seattle, so maybe that's another good option?
Old 09-13-2020, 12:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
Fidelity is a no brainer if you have an account with them. 2%, no hassles. This is my go to card.

You can find a lot of 1.5% cards too if you look around. My kids have one from a local credit union (BECU). Seems to work fine. OP is from Seattle, so maybe that's another good option?
I agree - I have had that Fido card for decades now and it remains my main card. I do have an Amazon Prime Visa card for 5% on all Amazon purchases (significant portion of my buying activities), plus I use Discover during "5% quarters" that suit my usage patterns such as "groceries" or "payPal" quarters.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:34 PM   #16
gone traveling

AmexBlue Preferred is 6% on supermarkets (not just groceries) to $6K/yr but $95 fee. So first $1600 at grocery chains coveries the fee. Works out to 4.4% on $6K groceries. Also 3% on gas not affliated with grocrey stores, & 6% on streaming services. Of course this leaves out Costco & Sam's.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by googily View Post

As an aside, my nit with this card is that if you take your rebate as a statement credit, then the 1% when you pay is calculated on the statement balance (assume you pay off monthly) less the rebate credit that you applied. The effect is a slight decrement to the rebate.

So if you charge $100, you earn $1 rebate up front. You request a statement credit of $1 and pay $99 to settle the account. You’ll earn an additional $0.99 rebate on the payment, not $1, as assumed.

I know this is small change but it bugs me because 1-I’m saving them money in administrative costs by taking the rebate as a credit rather than asking for a check to be issued, 2-this seems dishonest to me. It shouldn’t matter where the funds come from to settle my account. As long as $100 are credited against my account, I should be entitled to the rebate on those charges. And 3-over time this adds up to a not-insignificant benefit to the bank (several dollars a year x millions of customers). It reminds me of the rounding-up scheme in the movie Office Space.

Edit to add: perhaps this should be added to the “frugal things you do that others roll their eyes over” thread.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean view View Post
As an aside, my nit with this card is that if you take your rebate as a statement credit, then the 1% when you pay is calculated on the statement balance (assume you pay off monthly) less the rebate credit that you applied. The effect is a slight decrement to the rebate.

So if you charge $100, you earn $1 rebate up front. You request a statement credit of $1 and pay $99 to settle the account. You’ll earn an additional $0.99 rebate on the payment, not $1, as assumed.

I know this is small change but it bugs me because 1-I’m saving them money in administrative costs by taking the rebate as a credit rather than asking for a check to be issued, 2-this seems dishonest to me. It shouldn’t matter where the funds come from to settle my account. As long as $100 are credited against my account, I should be entitled to the rebate on those charges. And 3-over time this adds up to a not-insignificant benefit to the bank (several dollars a year x millions of customers). It reminds me of the rounding-up scheme in the movie Office Space.

Edit to add: perhaps this should be added to the “frugal things you do that others roll their eyes over” thread.
Agree conceptually.
This is one minor reason why I transfer my reward points on my BOA Travel CC to another BOA CC (instead of statement credit) where I can get the straight up cash reward.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean view View Post

This is not something that would bother me, but I did switch away from Citi cards last year when they slashed the travel protections of the Citi Premier. I went with Chase Sapphire Reserve, and then the Freedom Unlimited, which is 1.5% back on everything. But if you transfer the points to your Reserve points bucket, they are an extra half point when redeemed for travel.

And then travel ground to a halt. [emoji16]

I think the Unlimited just upped the cash back for drugstores and maybe dining? I've completely lost track.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:03 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I really like cards that offer a long float period in addition to easy cashback. Fidelity and Amazon (Chase) offer ~27 days compared to others with only 14 days. That gives me more time to move funds if my autopay account balance is low.