Join Early Retirement Today

Current investments
Old 11-26-2004, 06:25 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Current investments

Im looking at a place to put some extra cash. This is more hobby money. Where are you putting money in this environment. Im assuming weak dollar, higher interest rates, inflation.

Real estate seems high, should I be looking at hard assets. Energy stocks and comodities also seem high. Im looking for some ideas to do a little research on.

Any ideas?
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Current investments
Old 11-26-2004, 06:33 AM   #2

If I had extra cash to invest (which I don't) I would lock in long term bonds or buy land. What I need to keep
liquid is earning 2.09% at the bank. True "hobby" money would go into land.

John Galt
Old 11-26-2004, 12:40 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I jumped into commodities recently as a diversifier. I am waiting for GIM (foreign bond closed end fund) to drop to a discount to NAV. Looks to me like MOVI is cheap, as is STON. If NLS drops back under 20, it is a no-brainer, IMO. Watch CNXS. If the patent challenge or anything else knocks it to 10 or less, it is another no-brainer.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 01:14 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I-bonds or TIPS if you are worried about inflation.
You can't loose with I-bonds or with TIPS if you
hold to maturity.

If you want to gamble, go to Vegas and have some
fun while loosing.

Cheers,

Charlie
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 01:31 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

If I were retired or had the time to do some research, I'd probably study up on some aspect of art or antiquities and try to pick up some deals. *I had a friend who bought a questionable origin impressionist era painting off eBay for about $400. *After a modest further investment in having the painting authenticated, he thinks the painting would sell for $10K to $20K. *In the mean time he has a nice painting to display.

Alternately, I think I'd research gold or precious jewels. *If you already have money in bonds, REITs, and stocks, why not branch out.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:46 AM   #6

I could get into the "art/antiques" idea if it didn't
seem like work. My wife was in the business for 10
years and we both enjoy auctions and estate sales.
With her knowledge and my negotiating skills we
could make money and have some fun. But..............
I am wary of it becoming a "job" so right now we just dink around the edges. Example. We stopped at a large auction yesterday with no particular plans other
than for cheap entertainment. We left with my 3/4
ton pick up filled to the brim with old furniture and
other stuff. A friend helped me load it and I told him I was too old to be doing this. True. Anyway, it was bought right and we will make money. Still..................

John Galt
Old 11-30-2004, 03:52 AM   #7

Quote:
I had a friend who bought a questionable origin impressionist era painting off eBay for about $400. *After a modest further investment in having the painting authenticated, he thinks the painting would sell for $10K to $20K. *
My mother has a small antique shop, so she goes to lots of auctions and keeps up on these things...but she told me a story last year where this guy she knows personally, comes in the shop a lot, who lives just down the street, makes his money by taking a few trips back and forth from Florida every year to buy antiques from all those old people who go down there to retire/die...apparently they bring a lot of there best things with them when they first move down and eventually they come on the market.

Don't know what kind of money he usually makes but I assume its decent enough to justify.

Anyway, about last year sometime he bought a table down there and brought it back up to New England to sell....for $1.3Million!

Don't know what he paid for it, but you can bet it was probably a LOT less than $5000 and probably even under $1000.

Here is the link:

http://www.maineantiquedigest.com/articles/mill0701.htm

I find it mind blowing that some people have enough money to spend $1.3 Million on a card table...wow!

farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:54 AM   #8

OK, heres another link

http://www.otoole-ewald.com/content/...r_2002_03.html

He paid $1650 for the table...sold it for $1.32Million a few weeks later.
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 04:13 AM   #9

Well, we don't have any stories like that, but I would not be surprised if there was a fortune in some unnoticed item in the corner of oor garage. We
ALWAYS make money on this stuff and sometimes
it's very easy. Unfortunately that "one big score"
eludes us.

John Galt
Old 11-30-2004, 04:23 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I bonds - for inflation protection. After 1 year they can be redeemed with a small penalty. If inflation rises I bonds may be great to hold on to.

Pimco Foreign Bond fund (Unhedged) capitalizes on depreciation of the US dollar while invested in various bonds.

Real Estate - I agree too expensive and interest rates are rising. Maybe some areas of the US are still OK but I would be careful.
If you are daring I would buy property out of the US where many baby boomers may retire someday and prices are still low.
Central America has alot to offer.

Maybe even some international REITS.

GTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 04:42 PM   #11

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
If inflation rises I bonds may be great to hold on to.
If the government says that inflation rises you mean... they have a vested interest in being conservative in their estimates. That's a whole different discussion though.
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote