Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-24-2021, 06:32 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Careful with the flea and tick meds. I was buying online and saving 20% but my vet had to put down 2 dogs that were poisoned by knock offs.
My dogs groomer also bought online. Her pup got a bad rash and after a vet visit called Bayer - they said the serial number was Not valid and she must have a knock off product.

Not worth the risk.
You appear to be implying that I am buying knock off brands from some sleazy company. I'm talking about PetArmor from Walmart.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2021, 07:30 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

We had two cars. We rented for four years. A condo on a golf course that was very close to rapid public transport.

We had two cars. We decided to get rid of one. We did not think we needed two.
Besides, we could always rent one for a few days but we never did. Saved us a fair amount. Repairs, insurance, registration, etc.

We do two international trips a year. 8-9 weeks each. Occasionally longer. We cancelled all insurance on our vehicle with the exception of fire and theft. Saved us a fair bit doing this twice a year for eight years.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:45 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I grow my own pot.
My dad bakes cookies and cinnamon rolls, then trades them with his neighbor for some homegrown pot
Old 05-25-2021, 08:13 AM   #84
gone traveling

Ah good one. We did that for the first 10 years of living in the USA. Had only one car but lived in an a downtown area. Another upside to this is with all the walking you do you stay healthy and the lack of stress driving in peak hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
We had two cars. We rented for four years. A condo on a golf course that was very close to rapid public transport.

We had two cars. We decided to get rid of one. We did not think we needed two.
Besides, we could always rent one for a few days but we never did. Saved us a fair amount. Repairs, insurance, registration, etc.

We do two international trips a year. 8-9 weeks each. Occasionally longer. We cancelled all insurance on our vehicle with the exception of fire and theft. Saved us a fair bit doing this twice a year for eight years.
KingOfTheCheapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:38 AM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I found a Canadian company that charges about half for the brand that my vet sold me. The place is https://www.canadapetcare.com I haven’t run out of my first batch that the vet sold me (new dog), but I think I’m going to try them next month when I do run out.
I found this suggestion of interest. I just ordered and paid for the next six month supply of Sentinel Spectrum and Bravecto for my pet. The cost was $176.17, but I will get a refund of $17 from the manufacturers.

So I checked the same products on canadapet.com and sure enough the Bravecto is $67.50 for 2 doses in Canada, compared to the $114 I paid. However, the Sentinel Spectrum, is $104.10 for 6 doses in Canada, vs the $52.99 I paid. So it works great for some meds obviously, but not for all.
Old 05-25-2021, 11:41 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

I thought of another expense cut while improving lifestyle activities while making dinner last night - making my own healthy salad dressings. It doesn't take much time to throw together a dressing of olive oil, vinegar and some spices or seasonings. Many commercial dressings cost more and have sugar, unhealthy fats, or a lot of suspect chemical preservatives. I use a high polyphenol olive oil which is supposed to be good for killing cancer cells. I started putting it on the outside of my skin, too, on any suspicious looking spots or moles and some of them disappeared in a few days.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:57 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
You appear to be implying that I am buying knock off brands from some sleazy company. I'm talking about PetArmor from Walmart.
Certainly didn't mean to imply that.
In my groomers and vets customers cases it was bogus Soresito collars purchased on Amazon.
I now buy my puppers collars from Petco or his Vet so I have a local throat to choke.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:33 PM   #88

Cut landline and use MintMobile hone service.

Use a rooftop TV antenna for free over-the-air digital TV, and cut cable out.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:21 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I thought of another expense cut while improving lifestyle activities while making dinner last night - making my own healthy salad dressings. It doesn't take much time to throw together a dressing of olive oil, vinegar and some spices or seasonings. Many commercial dressings cost more and have sugar, unhealthy fats, or a lot of suspect chemical preservatives. I use a high polyphenol olive oil which is supposed to be good for killing cancer cells. I started putting it on the outside of my skin, too, on any suspicious looking spots or moles and some of them disappeared in a few days.
That’s a great one! I make about half of our dressings. Much better than what comes in a bottle. I’m working on getting a good deli style mustard now.
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:35 PM   #90
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
That’s a great one! I make about half of our dressings. Much better than what comes in a bottle. I’m working on getting a good deli style mustard now.
Not to be mean, but how much does that really save you? Or are you guys having salad dressing squirting fights where you live? Ah retirement must be fun out your way!
KingOfTheCheapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:42 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheCheapos View Post
Not to be mean, but how much does that really save you? Or are you guys having salad dressing squirting fights where you live? Ah retirement must be fun out your way!
I actually have no idea how much it saves us, but they are so much better that the quality/$ is higher, which is important to me. And DH eats a LOT of salad!! We go through a 5lb bag of cabbage and 6-12 stalks of romaine a week. It’s like living with a very large rabbit

And eta that the deli mustards are ridiculously expensive. We go through a lot of mustard too.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:58 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheCheapos View Post
Why say "not to be mean" than follow that with a sarcastic comment? In a thread on cutting expenses?

If a high polyphenol olive oil helps you not get cancer, it could save a lot in medical bills. I also don't quite get why you took tb001's quote out of context and didn't include the part about the chemicals, sugar and unhealthy fats in most commercial dressings.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 05-26-2021, 10:23 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
I actually have no idea how much it saves us, but they are so much better that the quality/$ is higher, which is important to me. And DH eats a LOT of salad!! We go through a 5lb bag of cabbage and 6-12 stalks of romaine a week. It’s like living with a very large rabbit

And eta that the deli mustards are ridiculously expensive. We go through a lot of mustard too.
I have been buying a Koroneiki olive oil from World Market. It is one of the the kinds recommended by cancer researcher William Li for its anti-cancer, immune enhancing and DNA protecting qualities - A Doctor's Tip For Finding The Healthiest Olive Oil (mindbodygreen.com).
Old 05-26-2021, 11:09 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I have been buying a Koroneiki olive oil from World Market. It is one of the the kinds recommended by cancer researcher William Li for its anti-cancer, immune enhancing and DNA protecting qualities - A Doctor's Tip For Finding The Healthiest Olive Oil (mindbodygreen.com).
Oh interesting! We go through so much that I usually buy it at Costco, but some things are probably worth spending more on. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:28 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

In our area many of the same items at Whole Foods are at 99 Cents Only and Grocery Outlet. The 99CO prices are about a third of the WF price for many items including shiitake mushrooms, fresh herbs and radish sprouts. GO prices are around half. GO puts the savings on the receipt and their price comparisons are pretty accurate. Today we spent around $100 on foods like organic frozen berries and organic meats and saved $102 over retail prices.

We also went to a thrift shop that had a sale on books for 25 cents each. Two books that cost 50 cents total would have cost $10 used on Amazon.

Not a bad morning of $111.50 savings just for shopping at an outlet and thrift shop instead of retail stores.
Old 05-28-2021, 04:41 AM   #96

I have herbs in my garden. Oregano, sage, rosemary and thyme are hardy perennials, and I have them all, as ornamentals. My sage bushes are at least 10 years old. The leaves dry up a bit in the winter though.

I planted a small bed of cilantro in early fall and planned to put more down in the spring. It survived under the snow and thrived this year. It’s going to seed now, but I have a new volunteer plant. The seeds are the coriander, which I’ll use. Parsley planted last year also survived the winter. Basil is grown indoors hydroponically. It’s fairly delicate for outside and attracts Japanese beetles.

The herbs cost $1-2 a bunch, and you get too much or too little. I’ve saved a lot using perennial herbs as ornamentals.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 04:56 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
The herbs cost $1-2 a bunch, and you get too much or too little. I’ve saved a lot using perennial herbs as ornamentals.
I hate trying to buy fresh herbs. It's always expensive and I hardly ever use it all. The recipe I'm working on will take like a quarter of the bunch and the rest just goes bad. I'll have to plant some of the perennial ones you mentioned. Being in a northern state, I never thought of planting herbs that would overwinter.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:08 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Honestly, I know of several ways we could cut expenses, but have become lazy. It COSTS to cut expenses - that is, you actually have to use your brain and maybe a bit of braun to save most money. It may even take MONEY to save money.

Examples might include:

Phantom Electricity -

... Doing so saves a few hundred watts of electricity which becomes several kilowatts by the end of the month.

You can relax on the phantom power. Even a large TV only draws up to 3 watts in standby, and unused phone chargers draw maybe 0.1 watt. You are probably wasting ~10 watts, not "a few hundred".

Cable boxes, cable modems, and routers are probably the worst overnight offenders - but they all have a reboot process and would be a total pain to switch on to use.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:31 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boose View Post
My dad bakes cookies and cinnamon rolls, then trades them with his neighbor for some homegrown pot
Either the value of pot has gone way down or the value of cookies has gone way up!
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:49 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
You can relax on the phantom power. Even a large TV only draws up to 3 watts in standby, and unused phone chargers draw maybe 0.1 watt. You are probably wasting ~10 watts, not "a few hundred".

Cable boxes, cable modems, and routers are probably the worst overnight offenders - but they all have a reboot process and would be a total pain to switch on to use.
Yes, I can tell just by putting my hand on the cable and internet boxes that they are the big consumers even though not used. I think when I reboot the internet box, it takes a couple of minutes but the cable can take 4 or even 5 minutes - depending on why it went out. A local power fail seems the worst while an intentional shut down seems less stressful to the system - or maybe I'm just ready for the delay since I caused it. I think I'll stay lazy and not worry about it even though electricity is more than $0.30/KWH here. I know folks who depend on AC here and their electricity bill can run $400. Mine stays in the $70 to $90 range and IIRC we'd pay about $20+ if we didn't use a KW. All those fees add up. Thanks for the input. Aloha.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote