Dan Wiener's newsletter

PJ03

Recycles dryer sheets
Hey all,
Since I plan to invest my capital in one or more of the Vanguard family of funds I have signed on to Dan Wieners Adviser newsletter (Independent Adviser for vanguard investors. Trial subscription) I also ordered the following two books, four pillars of investing by Bernstien and Common sense on mutual funds by John Bogle, all part of my homework (thanks to SG and Nords)
My question is, does anyone know of Mr. Dan Wiener and if so, is this subscription worth the money, what do you think of his portfolios. Are you invested according to his recommendations?
After a quick overview of his site, I tend to like the conservative growth portfolio.
I may get told to go read the books , leave this guy alone and save the money in a fund but thats why I'n here.

PJ03 said:
My question is, does anyone know of Mr. Dan Wiener and if so, is this subscription worth the money, what do you think of his portfolios. Are you invested according to his recommendations?
In five words, "yes", "no", "not much", and "no".

But feel free to check up on the guy by searching for "Wiener" over at the Vanguard Diehards discussion board. (Regardless of your gender, don your asbestos jockstrap beforehand.) You can also research his record in a library copy of Mark Hulbert's ratings of investment newsletters. However if the guy is making more money on your newsletter subscription than he is on following his own advice, then it's not worth your time or money.

If you like conservative growth & Vanguard funds then you may also prefer the Coffeehouse Investor. But finish Bernstein & Bogle before you make any decisions.

PJ

I signed up for the DW newsletter two years ago when (1) I'd settled on VG as my main place for investments and (2) I was uneasy about our holdings and allocations.  I wanted to have someone else's views on the main investing universe that I was interested in.  I have been pleased with the DW Newsletter coverage and recommendations although I have a different investing style.  I read most of the articles on equities and use the charts to add to my own views.  On the first of the month, I have a hard time deciding whether I want to read the DW Newsletter or the  FundAlarm comments (http://www.fundalarm.com/hilights.htm) first - decisions, decisions.

Two years ago, I had mostly a large cap allocation with a smattering of small cap.  Using some of his recommendations, I trimmed large cap and bolstered mid-cap and international exposure;  our altered portfolios have done well in those two years while large-cap has been basically static.   

There are plenty of places to get information - this forum, Diehards, Marketplace, Bob's Mutual Funds, DW's Newsletter, etc are excellent places to form your own personal view of what to do.

Best Regards
JohnP

From your posts I get the idea that this is a lot like my post on the Oxford Club.

Professor

oldcrowcall said:
Is it Dan's Weiner newsletter?
I don't appreciate my weiner being talked about, written about, or even thought about on this forum.

DanTien said:
I don't appreciate my weiner being talked about, written about, or even thought about on this forum.

Thank you for being frank.

JG

thank you both...man there's too much jargon in these books for me to remember... i also ordered the coffeehouse book as it seems like its up my ally.

Back
Top Bottom