Day one

Olbidness

Recycles dryer sheets
Well, the new chapter begins today, day one of my retirement. Starting with almost nothing in 1988, I must say I've come a long way. I've got the same feeling I had as a kid when my dad took the training wheels off my bike and I begged him to put them back on. No going back now.

Very exciting. Celebrating Independence Day next week will have a whole new meaning for you.

Congrats!

Well, the new chapter begins today, day one of my retirement. Starting with almost nothing in 1988, I must say I've come a long way. I've got the same feeling I had as a kid when my dad took the training wheels off my bike and I begged him to put them back on. No going back now.

Congratulations! I too started with literally nothing in the same year (1988) with just $200 and the clothes on my back. Pulled the trigger three years ago and have enjoyed every second since.

Got a call from a former coworker last week. I know him, just not very well. So he wants to meet up and talk about what I know about retirement. Should take about 10 minutes.

Got a call from a former coworker last week. I know him, just not very well. So he wants to meet up and talk about what I know about retirement. Should take about 10 minutes.

He's not a financial adviser by any chance, is he? If so, it could take a lot longer. Make sure he buys lunch if he is.

He's not a financial adviser by any chance, is he? If so, it could take a lot longer. Make sure he buys lunch if he is.

No, he is looking for information about how he can retire too. I'm not sure how much help I can be. Lets see, live on less than you make, invest the difference. Do that for a very long time and presto.....retire. Easy as pie.

Hi Oldbidness. Welcome aboard! :greetings10:

Maybe I cheated? I started counting yesterday...

Went to office around 10. Had late breakfast with a couple buddies, turned my cr*p in and hit the exit!

Congratulations on your new found freedom. Keep us up to date on what you are doing in retirement. We love success stories!

No, he is looking for information about how he can retire too. I'm not sure how much help I can be. Lets see, live on less than you make, invest the difference. Do that for a very long time and presto.....retire. Easy as pie.

He may find that lunch meeting very depressing if he doesn't have much saved.

Congratulations to you though!

Congratulations sir. Take a little time to enjoy the beach, fresh air and your new life. You've earned it!

Nice analogy. Maybe make something out of training wheels. No going back...

Congrats! Great way to end the week and move into the Holiday

Congrats!

Suggest you record your activities of your 1st FIRE day. I did, and always enjoy reading it. My 3 yr FIRE anniversary was yesterday. :)

BTW, love your sig line.

Congratulations to you! Keep us posted on how this goes for you. My guess is you will love the freedom.

Congratulations, Oldbidness. Ironic in that 1988 is the year I retired. Best wishes for a long and healthy retirement.

Congratulations, Oldbidness. Ironic in that 1988 is the year I retired. Best wishes for a long and healthy retirement.

Yep, 1988 not too long after Black Monday. My Step-father had sent me a book: The Morgan Stanley Guide to Personal Investing. The most memorable quote from the book: "Santa Claus is Dead", point being, magical thinking won't cut it. Personal responsibility and action are the only way to win with money. As true now as it was then.

Don't sell yourself short. After I left Megacorp I helped 5 others realize they didn't have to w*rk anymore.

Don't sell yourself short. After I left Megacorp I helped 5 others realize they didn't have to w*rk anymore.

Not quite the same, but my eye doc just let me know that he was retiring. He's probably the only doc I've ever gotten close to so I mentioned some of the more subtle things he should watch for - too much in deferred funds, the "Fairmark" book on Roths, "gotchas" based on AGI or MAGI, etc. Not an expert, but I told him he should consult his tax "guy" or hire someone to help him get started (fee only!). He said he would and thanked me profusely.

Back
Top Bottom