Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I did things my way and can afford to retire now, so why can't my friends keep their mouths shut and let me enjoy what I have worked for?
What kind of response does "ready-to-retire" expect? A better question is "how do I deal with my friends about ER?"
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
... "how do I deal with my friends about ER?"...
Find new friends who also ER'ed?
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:22 AM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth418 View Post
Where Dear Abby failed the OP was that she offered no useful advice regarding how he should deal with all the naysayers around him. Whether he visits another financial advisor or not, he still needs to address the social and family considerations, whether they are motivated by jealousy or genuine concern.
+1

He had run his numbers, consulted a financial planner, and is now more concerned with dealing the social issues of retiring early at age 62.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #24

Abby used two sentences to say that she couldn't answer the question (Why do my friends ...?). She should have stopped there. Since she couldn't answer, maybe she should have printed some other letter.

When I used to read Ann Landers, I noticed that her go-to answer was always "consult and expert". That's safe and doesn't get you sued. But, in this case, the reader had already consulted an expert. I don't see any value in the "second opinion", as I agree that someone who is financially adept enough to live modestly and save probably has some DIY credentials.

But, the real problem is the last sentence. Abby starts opining on something she has already said is better left to the experts. Abby doesn't know if the reader will have a long, healthy life or if she'll be dead in a couple years. The retirement decision is about trade-offs. If Abby isn't willing to talk about both the pros and cons, she shouldn't start talking at all.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I don't see anything wrong with the question or the answer - general answer to a general question. It would be irresponsible if Abby had suggested anything other than a second/third opinion and erred on the side of waiting a few years, since she didn't have any numbers to work with. What's she going to say, 'go for it' with no real factual basis?

However, to me the real question is why READY is still worried about what other people think to begin with? Asking other/strangers how to deal with naysayers is kinda lame IMO at age 62, should've grown out of that quite a while ago. YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
What kind of response does "ready-to-retire" expect? A better question is "how do I deal with my friends about ER?"

"I did things my way and can afford to retire now, so why can't my friends keep their mouths shut and let me enjoy what I have worked for?"

I thought this came off as more of a rant, using an advice column to chastise his friends , and that he was not really looking for an answer.
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I wonder how Dear Abby would respond if READY TO RETIRE was 70 instead of 62. Objectively, Abby's advice should be the same since the ability to retire is not specifically tied to age. However, I speculate that Dear Abby would respond more like ... "Don't worry about what your friends and family say. Feel free to retire if this is what you want and your financial professional believes this is appropriate. You have worked hard. You deserve to enjoy this next phase of life." Instead, Dear Abby's specific advice appears to be tied more to READY's relatively young age, as opposed to a proper course of action applicable to anyone.
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Find new friends who also ER'ed?
That's a good one!
Old 07-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
"I did things my way and can afford to retire now, so why can't my friends keep their mouths shut and let me enjoy what I have worked for?"

I thought this came off as more of a rant, using an advice column to chastise his friends , and that he was not really looking for an answer.
You might be right that he's not really looking for an advice after all.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
I wonder how Dear Abby would respond if READY TO RETIRE was 70 instead of 62. Objectively, Abby's advice should be the same since the ability to retire is not specifically tied to age. However, I speculate that Dear Abby would respond more like ... "Don't worry about what your friends and family say. Feel free to retire if this is what you want and your financial professional believes this is appropriate. You have worked hard. You deserve to enjoy this next phase of life." Instead, Dear Abby's specific advice appears to be tied more to READY's relatively young age, as opposed to a proper course of action applicable to anyone.
good answer - do what you want to do regardless of remarks from others.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #31

I think Abby took his question the same way I take his question. He is obviously annoyed by all the comments that he is crazy to retire. If he was truly confident in his decision other people's opinion on his retirement would not bother him so much that he would write to Abby. Also since he is already 62 it is not that unusual to retire at that age so perhaps his friends are genuinly concerned for good reason.

With those same minimal facts I would reccomend the same thing as Abby did, get a second opinion to validate your thoughts on retirement because it appears to me you are uncomfortable with this idea when you should not be. There are far more people who retire because they are tired of work without enough money thinking they have more than they need than who truly have everything covered. I think Abby's answer was insightful in a non-demeaning way of communicating true concern

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
With those same minimal facts I would reccomend the same thing as Abby did, get a second opinion to validate your thoughts on retirement because it appears to me you are uncomfortable with this idea when you should not be. .. I think Abby's answer was insightful in a non-demeaning way of communicating true concern
Getting a second opinion from an adviser is a safe or generic advice. It does not address the concerns of "READY TO RETIRE" who seems to be looking for ways to deal with friends and not interested in another opinion or doubts similar to those of their friends.

If I were in his/her situation, I would say that I appreciate their concerns but have decided to start a new chapter of my life - to do all the things that I want to do now instead of later and have thought about it long and hard and weighted the pros and cons carefully. I will not feel guilty of letting them down because I have my own life to live and do not need their approval. It's hoped they would accept and respect my decision.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Abigail Van Buren (Dear Abby) died years ago so I question any current advice that she dishes out from the grave.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote