Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-09-2016, 09:00 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Every morning, when I wake up, I have this ominous premonition that my life expectancy has been shortened by one axial rotation.......perhaps I'm just paranoid?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2016, 09:04 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

This decline in life expectancy correlates with the Gluten free craze. Coincidence?
Shanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not much difference during first two weeks, including hospital care between US and Finland/Austria (best in class)

Substantial differences between states. Very substantial differences between best in class countries and USA at age one based on socio/economic status and access to health care.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:20 AM   #44

What are the organisms that are supposed to be in sauerkraut and kimchi? Are they the same and how do they get there?

A very long time ago, probably when my mother was feeling ambitious, she made kimchi but I don't recall her adding any kind of starter culture.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:28 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Here ya go: Metagenomic Analysis of Kimchi

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:34 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Do you make your own sauerkraut?

I think sauerkraut that you can buy in a supermarket has no live organisms that might help gut health.

ha
So buy your sauerkraut fresh in the deli or meat department..usually comes in 2 lb bags.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:34 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Every morning, when I wake up, I have this ominous premonition that my life expectancy has been shortened by one axial rotation.......perhaps I'm just paranoid?
Quit sleeping on top of the axle and you'll be fine.

Or, put it in reverse and you'll be a toddler in no time...

Old 12-09-2016, 09:36 AM   #48
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Dang, and all this time I thought it was a Korean version of the gnomic elves characters that put the "snap crackle and pop" in Rice Krispies.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:39 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

so does kimchi have natural probios in it?
Old 12-09-2016, 09:46 AM   #50
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanky View Post
This decline in life expectancy correlates with the Gluten free craze. Coincidence?
Probably more so with Glutten.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:31 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Obesity has been around for 20+ years. What is new in the last year or two?
Since obesity doesn't kill quickly perhaps it's now beginning to claim more lives.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Declining life expectancy
Old 12-09-2016, 10:35 AM   #52

Declining life expectancy

Quote:

Wait, this paper is real science. I thought all nutrition information on the web is supposed to be based on anecdotal evidence and fear mongering. (e.g. FoodBabe.com)
Old 12-09-2016, 10:37 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
What are the organisms that are supposed to be in sauerkraut and kimchi? Are they the same and how do they get there?

A very long time ago, probably when my mother was feeling ambitious, she made kimchi but I don't recall her adding any kind of starter culture.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Probiotics - a.k.a gut flora (bacteria). Naturally occurring in fermented foods.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:49 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

RE: 'live' versus pasteurized sauerkraut and kimchee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
That's OK since the idea behind sauerkraut isn't to introduce live organisms but rather feed the existing ones. The good intestinal bacteria like an acidic environment: acidophilus.
I really doubt that eating some sauerkraut is gonna affect your stomach acidity enough and long enough to matter. The proponents claim it is the organisms, but we need some science here rather than speculation and anecdotes.

http://foodsafety.wisc.edu/business_...oximate_ph.pdf

Lower numbers are more acidic:

Sauerkraut 3.30-3.60

Apple – McIntosh 3.34

Apple – Jonathan 3.33

Apple Sauce 3.10-3.60

Plums, Blue 2.80-3.40

Blueberries, frozen 3.11-3.22

Pomegranate 2.93-3.20

Wines 2.8 - 3.8

Grapes, Concord 2.80-3.00

Lemon juice 2.00-2.60

and from wiki: The pH of gastric acid is 1.5 to 3.5[2] in the human stomach lumen, the acidity being maintained by the proton pump H+/K+ ATPase.

I'm pretty sure our feedback mechanisms are going to control our stomach pH, not so much the food we eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
You can find store bought sauerkraut with live organisms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Yes, Bubbies is a good one. It needs to be kept cold so has not been heated and canned. There are other brands with live organisms. The prices are generally higher on the fresh stuff.
I know they have bagged kraut in the fridge section of our market, whether it is live or not, I do not know. I'll note the brand next time and look it up, I don't think the package said anything.

And for those asking about the process - the probiotics naturally occur on the cabbage leaves and in the air (lacto-bacillus mainly). Nothing is added, other than salt (at least when made at home). I read that inoculating it doesn't work out so well, as there are stages the bugs go through. And kimchee is the same in this regard, but it has added spices, some other veggies (dikon radish mainly), and usually some form of fish product (dried shrimp, salted, cured fish, and or fish sauce). It's all good!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:11 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I really doubt that eating some sauerkraut is gonna affect your stomach acidity enough and long enough to matter.
Sauerkraut has made significant digestion improvement for me and others as a followup to antibiotic meds. I speculate that compared to softer foods, the relatively "tough" cabbage survives farther into the digestive tract. However if one's digestive imbalance is higher up perhaps yogurt is a better fit. Sauerkraut is easy to try though. In less than 12 hours I can notice the improvement it makes for me.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:20 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Obesity has been around for 20+ years. What is new in the last year or two?

Drug overdoses?
Mass shootings?
Obamacare?
Prices for essential drugs?

It has to be something recent?
How about more obesity, diabetes, and sugar consumption?

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #57

Quote:
Wow that's what I love to see. I'm enough of a geek that I actually read much of the paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
And for those asking about the process - the probiotics naturally occur on the cabbage leaves and in the air (lacto-bacillus mainly). Nothing is added, other than salt (at least when made at home).
Thanks that was a key thing I didn't understand. I suppose the salts and other ingredients keep other "bad" bacteria from forming.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:08 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Just got home from the supermarket...ran into a couple that we initially met, (just when he was about to retire as a realtor), some ten years ago, and whom we'd encounter infrequently at the library, or somesuch.

He didn't know who we were, and I suspect she didn't, at this stage, even know what 'knowing' is.....(and she was once very aware & alert).....he was leading her around like a two year old.

Depressed the hell out of me.......life expectancy has to be more than numerics, or what good is it.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:03 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Not to mention breathing air that is 78% nitrogen. The government should do something!
I concur; they are some that are extremely worried about a gas that is 0.04% of the atmosphere. And all this kimchi and sauerkraut fermentation may increase it to 0.041%.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:08 PM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have not looked for any studies on this, but there has been a lot in the news about death rates from opiod addiction growing in the SE and mid Atlantic states. Primarily among young adults in those regions. if accurate, that would pull the avg age down more so than with growing addiction rates among the middle aged, as an early poster mentioned. Anecdotally, I have a good friend who recently lost a 28 yr old granddaughter to heroin overdose.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote