Join Early Retirement Today

Declining life expectancy
Old 12-08-2016, 01:01 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Declining life expectancy

Has U.S. life expectancy maxed out? Decline is first in decades

New study shows something is going on. Maybe it's the newer generations with increasingly sedentary lifestyles, obesity, food additives/pesticides/hormones/antibiotics, chemicals in the water and air, increasing frequency of exposure to various imaging energy from dental and medical to full body airport scans, sitting in front of glowing screens all day, continuously holding devices close to body with multiple RF emitters in cellular, wifi, bluetooth, and other bands ... who knows? Maybe people should reconsider retirement planning and social security withdrawal strategies? Its sad that given all the money we spend on health care, we are only number 43 out of 224 countries for life expectancy.

retiredunder50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2016, 01:07 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

part of the reason that it's low compared to other countries is our neo-natal mortality

Old 12-08-2016, 01:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
part of the reason that it's low compared to other countries is our neo-natal mortality
And differences in how live births are counted.

There's no need to look at unknown/fringe causes for declines in US longevity, the problems are well known. The increase in opiod-related deaths is a factor not mentioned in the article that may be playing a part.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:19 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Take a look next time you are at the mall or out in public anywhere. Note the number of morbidly obese people you see as compared to a couple of decades ago. No wonder even with advances in medical care, we see a decline.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yep. We are fat. And that leads to heart health issues. Cancer mortality is actually decreasing, while coronary disease is claiming more lives. Our convenience-based lifestyle includes a diet of fake food products and processed food, and we sit all day instead of walking around.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:29 PM   #6

If that news isn't depressing enough, I decided to do a search for life expectancy by birth year and found the link below. Based on this info, I only have about 9 years left. I guess I probably should go ahead and retire.

Life Expectancy at Birth by Race and Sex, 1930–2010
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:32 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

that's life expectancy at birth - we call that e(0).

e(n) is always less than e(n+1) so you've got that going for you

use this http://www.longevityillustrator.org/
Old 12-08-2016, 01:42 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredunder50 View Post

It’s sad that given all the money we spend on health care, we are only number 43 out of 224 countries for life expectancy.
If the money that was spent for medical related cost was actually used for health care we'd probably be number 1.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredunder50 View Post

Maybe people should reconsider retirement planning and social security withdrawal strategies?
Another good reason to increase my spend rates. According to the averages, I've only got 10 to 12 years left.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I blame SUGAR.
AA = 60/35/5. Expected CAGR = 5.7%. GSD (5y) = 7.8%. USD inflation (10 y) = 1.8%. AWR = 3.0%. TER = 0.5%. Net Port Yield = 1.7%. Term = 36 yr. FI Duration = 4.9 yr. Portfolio survival probability = 86%.
galeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:51 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Should we expect insurance companies to start charging less for LTC premiums and to start paying out more for annuities? just kidding
retiredunder50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:59 PM   #12

On PBS I saw an interesting discussion that included a map of US obesity rates by state/county, plus a map of antibiotic use rates. There was strong correlation between the two maps. Correlation does not mean causation, of course, but it says to me intestinal microbes may have a big say in how big our guts get. The speaker advocated daily consumption of various acidic foods like yogurt and sauerkraut because they boost friendly bacteria associated with maintaining a healthy weight. Doing so has helped me.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:08 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
Take a look next time you are at the mall or out in public anywhere. Note the number of morbidly obese people you see as compared to a couple of decades ago. No wonder even with advances in medical care, we see a decline.
Heard on the radio this morning that a mall Santa, somewhere, had been castigated, and almost or perhaps fired, for suggesting that the overweight youngster on his lap "Lay off the hamburgers for a while".

At one time the Santa may have been applauded, "Listen to Santa, son", but nowadays he's denigrated.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:10 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by galeno View Post
I blame SUGAR.
Could be. Could also be opioids, as Samclem mentioned. There's a strong correlation with dihydrogen monoxide, so that's my guess.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Heard on the radio this morning that a mall Santa, somewhere, had been castigated, and almost or perhaps fired, for suggesting that the overweight youngster on his lap "Lay off the hamburgers for a while".

At one time the Santa may have been applauded, "Listen to Santa, son", but nowadays he's denigrated.
When I was a kid Santa was considered to be fat. These days he just sort of looks normal.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:26 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
On PBS I saw an interesting discussion that included a map of US obesity rates by state/county, plus a map of antibiotic use rates. There was strong correlation between the two maps. Correlation does not mean causation, of course, but it says to me intestinal microbes may have a big say in how big our guts get. The speaker advocated daily consumption of various acidic foods like yogurt and sauerkraut because they boost friendly bacteria associated with maintaining a healthy weight. Doing so has helped me.
Do you make your own sauerkraut?

I think sauerkraut that you can buy in a supermarket has no live organisms that might help gut health.

ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:26 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

We can point out on many factors but most developed countries have higher life expectancy with similar health issues like mentioned above. However our Healthcare is most expensive in the world yet obviously not the best.
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
There's a strong correlation with dihydrogen monoxide, so that's my guess.
In my part of the country, just about everyone can be found inhaling the same blend of gases I use to fill my tires with. Can't be good for you.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:48 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
The increase in opiod-related deaths is a factor not mentioned in the article that may be playing a part.
Rising morbidity and mortality in midlife among white non-Hispanic Americans in the 21st century

"Midlife increases in suicides and drug poisonings have been previously noted. However, that these upward trends were persistent and large enough to drive up all-cause midlife mortality has, to our knowledge, been overlooked. If the white mortality rate for ages 45−54 had held at their 1998 value, 96,000 deaths would have been avoided from 19992013, 7,000 in 2013 alone. If it had continued to decline at its previous (1979‒1998) rate, half a million deaths would have been avoided in the period 1999‒2013, comparable to lives lost in the US AIDS epidemic through mid-2015. Concurrent declines in self-reported health, mental health, and ability to work, increased reports of pain, and deteriorating measures of liver function all point to increasing midlife distress."
Exrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by galeno View Post
I blame SUGAR.
Bingo! The Low Fat craze, promoted by the Fed's food pyramid, took relatively harmless fat (thus, taste) out of packaged food. In response, companies put in sugar to make it tasty, and us fat!
If you have Netflix, check out a program called Fed Up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fed_Up_(film)