Deducting health insurance premiums

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
My understanding is that you can take health insurance premiums as an adjustment to gross income if you're self-employed and not if you get these as a pretax benefit as an employee. (I'm talking about a standard 1040 income tax deduction, and not about itemizing them as a medical expense.)

My question: can you deduct the premiums if you are employed, decline pre-tax health benefits from your current employer, but pay out of pocket the premiums on a continuation policy from a previous employer?

I'm no expert, but based on my reading while filing a self employed I do not think that you can.

However that brings up the idea of having some little business in ER in order to deduct the premiums.

I'm no expert, but based on my reading while filing a self employed I do not think that you can..

This link says:
... if you're self-employed and not covered by any other employer-paid plan, you can deduct 100% your health insurance premiums above the line.

Unfortunately, the IRS here says:

You cannot take the special 100% deduction for any month in which you are eligible to participate in any subsidized health plan maintained by your employer or your spouse's employer.
I'm afraid this means that if I decline the 2nd employers benefits, I cannot deduct the premiums for the continuation policy, since I was eligible to participate (even though I declined). :rant:

Last edited:
If you don't file a Schedule C with self employment income as a part of your tax return, I think a deduction like you are proposing would trigger some questions.

If you don't file a Schedule C with self employment income as a part of your tax return, I think a deduction like you are proposing would trigger some questions.

Who says you need to file a Schedule C to take an above-the-line health insurance deduction?

This link says:
... if you're self-employed and not covered by any other employer-paid plan, you can deduct 100% your health insurance premiums above the line.

Unfortunately, the IRS here says:
You cannot take the special 100% deduction for any month in which you are eligible to participate in any subsidized health plan maintained by your employer or your spouse's employer.
I'm afraid this means that if I decline the 2nd employers benefits, I cannot deduct the premiums for the continuation policy, since I was eligible to participate (even though I declined). :rant:

Unfortunately, this appears to be the case.

Who says you need to file a Schedule C to take an above-the-line health insurance deduction?

Well you could have self-employment income flowing through from a partnership, which would reported on Schedule E, but to get a self-employed health insurance deduction you need to be ...self-employed, which, if you're not an active partner in a partnership, generally means filing Schedule C.

The way I understand it is, if you are a W-2 employee and you pay a part or all of your Medical Insurance premiums, it is not deductible on your federal income tax return, unless all your medical bills including your insurance premiums exceeds 7.5% of your income and then only the amount over 7.5% is deductible and only if you itemize.

Jim

The way I understand it is, if you are a W-2 employee and you pay a part or all of your Medical Insurance premiums, it is not deductible on your federal income tax return, unless all your medical bills including your insurance premiums exceeds 7.5% of your income and then only the amount over 7.5% is deductible and only if you itemize.

That's right, Jim. The question was about when you were paying premiums on a policy not offered by your current employer but rather by a previous employer.

I believe from the above citations that you're stuck if you are even eligible for the policy offered by your current employer. No deductions above the line.

I hope somebody here can help me..... I have a question pertaining to deducting health insurance premiums -

I have my own small business, and my husband and I pay for our health benefits through his employer - pre-tax - in the amount of $7,390.

We itemize our health expenses, as my husband has some health problems and we have extremely high health costs. I thought that a portion of the pre-tax health insurance was deductible. Last year my tax preparer deducted a portion of the insurance expense - now, I have a different accountant, and he claims that none of it can be deducted.

Can anyone lend some advice? Anything would be so appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jody

Jody - if you are paying for the health insurance "pre-tax" then that means that you are already getting a tax deduction for the insurance costs (presumably it is deducted from your husband's gross wages on his W-2), so you cannot then deduct it again on your tax return.

Oh, okay, thanks for the quick reply. :) I had just thought that the $7,390 pre-tax still translates to over $6,000 post-tax (in my low tax bracket). I can't believe there's no adjustment for that. Wow. And apparently my accountant from last year wasn't clear either then. These medical expenses are crushing us. Without the insurance deduction, our co-pays of over $3,000 are not enough for us to claim. :(

I tried reading up on the subject on the IRS website - and they mention not being able to claim pre-tax employer health deductions - but that's in regards to the "supermarket" employer health insurance program - which is the one where you put money aside pre-tax yourself (through your employer) and then you have a health account you can draw from. So I was a bit confused.

One more quick question - the self-employed health insurance deduction - is that only valid if I purchase my own health insurance? I get my insurance through my husband, but I myself am self employed.

Thanks again for taking time out of your day to help me. :)

May be applicable to some folks (it was/is to me): you can also (partially) deduct your self-paid health premiums as part of your medical expenses (subject to that 5% floor or whatever it is) -- I itemize some years and sometimes taking this and other deductions beats my standard deduction. It's worth noting that my CPA of several years failed to flag this option for me; I discovered it myself! I'm learning to bunch deductions -- mainly property tax -- so this year I should have a big itemized deduction.

Back
Top Bottom