Deferred Comp Firecalc question

Franklin

Recycles dryer sheets
Does anyone have experience adding deferred compensation into their retirement calculations? Given deferred comp is invested and then paid out over a series of years I've assumed it should be treated as Any other tax deferred investment like an IRA. With my deferred comp there is no RMD but rather a series of payments spread out over 5 to 20 years. Thoughts on how to add this in the calculators. My account is invested in several balanced funds and pays quarterly over about 20 years. I pay taxes as the funds are distributed. Is it correct to treat this like any other tax advantaged fund?

Add a pension for the annual amount and add an offsetting off-chart spending after 20 years?

Add a pension for the annual amount and add an offsetting off-chart spending after 20 years?

Thats one way possibly. Let's say its $1MM paid over 20 years. Ive assumed the $1MM is in my NW and I invest it over a group of funds. It goes up or down with the market and is adjusted to show the distributions. I pay normal taxes as the money is distributed. In the calculators Ive just shown the starting $1MM balance and adjust each year depending on the balance. Seems simple but I am checking my logic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom