Delayed State Tax Refund - Will Take Between 8 to 12 Weeks!

Disappointed

Recycles dryer sheets
I tried to check the status of my CA State tax refund this morning through their website, it came back as record not found. According to the website, possibly because of error in entering required info. The website suggested to call the customer service, normally refunds are processed within two weeks.

I called the customer service, he said it was because of the amount of my refund ($10,690) is high they are going to review it carefully and will take between 8 to 12 weeks instead of 2 weeks.

Perhaps this is their effort in combating the tax refund fraud that is going on.

That is a HUGE refund for state taxes. How did you end up overpaying so much in the first place.

I haven't filed fed or state yet - I owe the feds $1k, and Cali $200.... They can wait till April.

That is a HUGE refund for state taxes. How did you end up overpaying so much in the first place.

I want to know, too. :)

I am just asking for a fraction of that $1000. I hope they don't put my refund request on to-be-investigated-for-fraud file.

I tried to check the status of my CA State tax refund this morning through their website, it came back as record not found. According to the website, possibly because of error in entering required info. The website suggested to call the customer service, normally refunds are processed within two weeks.

I called the customer service, he said it was because of the amount of my refund ($10,690) is high they are going to review it carefully and will take between 8 to 12 weeks instead of 2 weeks.

Perhaps this is their effort in combating the tax refund fraud that is going on.

I'll bet that might be what is behind this. I am undergoing a similar issue right now as I wait for my refund from Louisiana, and I share your angst and concern!!

Louisiana says they have been processing my tax return since February 8th but haven't finished yet. When I ask about my (much, much smaller) refund on their "Where's my refund?" webpage, it says they have no record of that refund being owed. When I log into my online account on their website, it says something that leads me to believe they are just not done figuring it.

Louisiana is notoriously slow, and I filed my state return using Turbotax for the first time (usually I only use TT for the federal taxes). But at least Louisiana isn't saying they paid to somebody else. They are just being vague and not giving me an estimate of how long this will take.

Right now I am scared (is the idiom, "sweating bullets"? :LOL:). I am thinking that they might be auditing me this year. TT gave me some breaks that I hadn't thought were allowed when I did my own taxes, in previous years.

(sigh)

One comforting fact is that the Louisiana Department of Revenue has always been very slow. Last year I didn't get my refund from them until March 3rd, and this year they have the TT fraud mess to worry about.

I'll bet that might be what is behind this. I am undergoing a similar issue right now as I wait for my refund from Louisiana, and I share your angst and concern!!

Louisiana says they have been processing my tax return since February 8th but haven't finished yet. When I ask about my (much, much smaller) refund on their "Where's my refund?" webpage, it says they have no record of that refund being owed. When I log into my online account on their website, it says something that leads me to believe they are just not done figuring it.

Louisiana is notoriously slow, and I filed my state return using Turbotax for the first time (usually I only use TT for the federal taxes). But at least Louisiana isn't saying they paid to somebody else. They are just being vague and not giving me an estimate of how long this will take.

Right now I am scared (is the idiom, "sweating bullets"? :LOL:). I am thinking that they might be auditing me this year. TT gave me some breaks that I hadn't thought were allowed when I did my own taxes, in previous years.

(sigh)

One comforting fact is that the Louisiana Department of Revenue has always been very slow. Last year I didn't get my refund from them until March 3rd, and this year they have the TT fraud mess to worry about.

Hey W2R....I got my LA refund in one week, after filing with Tax Act 2 weeks ago. All $485!

Federal refund arrived a week after the state.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last edited:
Hey W2R....I got my LA refund in one week, after filing with Tax act 2 weeks ago. All $485!

Gosh, that made me feel better (NOT! :2funny:). My tax refund will be less than yours. Next year, it's Tax Act for me, for sure. Or back to just doing it on the Louisiana DOR website, which is easy. But then, I always did that before this year, and I never got a refund from them in less than 6 weeks.

2014 was my first year being retired, and I had W2 and 1099 income, plus a few other things that were concerning me, so I opted for the paid version of Tax Act so I could use the help line if I needed to. I've used Tax Act several times over the years, only used TT maybe once or twice.

I used Turbotax freedom this year since I took out my 2014 draw in Dec2013 and had very low income level
I got my refund from state of VA in 10 days but IRS wants info about health insurance and wants me to send them the 1095A. So the health insurance people are not communicating well with the IRS. It is a pretty big refund since I am getting an insurance subsidy-maybe.
What kind of new deductions did turbotax allow? I never seem to have any breaks(up until this insurance thing)

Thank goodness!!! My checking account is finally showing a "placeholder" for my Louisiana state income tax refund, more than 7 weeks after my online tax return was submitted. What a tremendous relief that is. It just goes to show, that the easiest way to get your refund to appear right away is to complain bitterly on the forum about how long it is taking. :LOL:

I don't know how much it is, yet, since it is just a placeholder. Tomorrow I'll know, and for the moment I can put my fears aside. :dance:

(sigh)

I admit my tax returns are simple but I always want to owe both Fed and State taxing authorities small sums. I start running 'what ifs' on my tax software with a mock return starting about October. Those of you using ACA for health insurance have a lot of unknowns so this probably isn't an option.

Back
Top Bottom