Join Early Retirement Today

Delphi
Old 12-17-2005, 06:43 AM   #1

Delphi

Delphi pay: $76 an hour

Snip:

Delphi proposed Nov. 15 cutting that $76 an hour figure to about $35 an hour

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...511260313/1014

"We are outraged by Delphi's attempt to use the bankruptcy process to dictate the radical destruction of the living standards of America's industrial workers,
------------

They have seen NOTHING. They are not building those giant factories in Asia for looks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Delphi
Old 12-17-2005, 06:59 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marketneutral

Snip:

Delphi proposed Nov. 15 cutting that $76 an hour figure to about $35 an hour

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...511260313/1014

"We are outraged by Delphi's attempt to use the bankruptcy process to dictate the radical destruction of the living standards of America's industrial workers,
------------

They have seen NOTHING.* *They are not building those giant factories in Asia for looks.*
Now this I agree with. As Al Jolson used to say, "You ain't seen nothing
yet!". Anyway, bankruptcy reorganization is an opportunity to get back
that money you agreed to pay when the good times were rolling, and
to void those pesky contracts that seemed like a good idea at the time.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 07:24 AM   #3

For 76 per hour (I am sure with benefits that number is even more massive) you can have 152 Chinese workers happy as pig in crap.

Instead of having one unhappy overweight and whining American.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:04 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hey, I'm NOT overweight... :P

I believe the $76/hr figure IS with bennies...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:34 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marketneutral
For 76 per hour (I am sure with benefits that number is even more massive) you can have 152 Chinese workers happy as pig in crap.

Instead of having one unhappy overweight and whining American.*
Yes, the $76 per hour is with benefits and also includes workers who are paid not to work as part of a "jobs bank program." This is why the company is in bankruptcy. So what.

You read WAY too much into the auto maker's troubles. They are not a proxy for the rest of the economy.

And what the gross generalization about, and attack on, "American workers" (who work longer hours and are more productive than most of the rest of the industrialized world) adds is beyond me.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:43 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a few relatives and some friends that work union jobs at delphi. Guess what, none of them make anywhere close to $76 per hour. This figure includes anything delphi wants it to for publicity. Like human resources, costs for moving paper around and what not, be careful what you believe, and realize the source. Oh my God!!! is just what delphi wants you to think when they announce these figures. The people I know would be happy to make $60 or $50 for that matter and pay there own bennies, delphi would save a bundle under their thinking. Think that will ever happen? shredder
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:59 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder
The people I know would be happy to make $60 or $50 for that matter...
"Happy" at only $50-$60 an hour? How philanthropic.

Toyota is building a new plant in Texas paying around $20 an hour plus benefits. There were over 100,000 applications for 2,000 openings.

I know it must be tough when you've been making $100K/yr working on an assembly line, but the hard reality is the 'good old days' are gone...and they aren't coming back.

This post may seem harsh...I actually do have some sympathy for the adjustment Delphi workers are being forced to make. But they (GM and the unions) did it to themselves. No free lunch.

Old 12-19-2005, 04:01 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

If you read the article attached to the original post you will discover three things:*
1) the $76 / hour number is drawn from a study commissioned by Delphi
2) The 'base' hourly wage is $27 / hour.* The remaining $49 / hour is a combination of benefits, legacy costs, and probably overtime.
3) The proposed reduction to $35 / hour still includes benefits, legacy costs, and probably overtime.

But once again, these costs are why the company is in bankruptcy.* It shouldn't be shocking that they are higher than what other non-bankrupt companies are paying.* But I guess the $76 / hour number makes better fodder for the alarmists among us.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:12 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
"Happy" at only $50-$60 an hour?* How philanthropic. *

Toyota is building a new plant in Texas paying around $20 an hour plus benefits.* There were over 100,000 applications for 2,000 openings.*

I know it must be tough when you've been making $100K/yr working on an assembly line, but the hard reality is the 'good old days' are gone...and they aren't coming back.*

This post may seem harsh...I actually do have some sympathy for the adjustment Delphi workers are being forced to make.* But they (GM and the unions) did it to themselves.* No free lunch.

The people I know at delphi make in the mid $20 per hour plus benefits. The people you hear about making $100,000 are not usually production workers but are skilled trades people working mega hours to get that. The union people ( or mid level management) have no control or say on what kind of crap they build to sell, one friend of mine (that works at delphi) drove a Toyota for years. They are not happy with GM quality* just like you and I. Their management, you know the ones that make millions, and give themselves generous bonuses, don't ask them if they decide to buy a stake in say Subaru, fiat, or some other loser company, then sell it at a loss a couple of years later. They have no say in how much health care has risen. They had no say when delphi was spun off from GM. They simply have a job and try to feed their families. Would you, if you were in their situation, demand less benefits from your union at contract time? They did not either. Most of what is happening to them is completely out of their control, and is most likely coming to a town near you soon.......shredder
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote