Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-02-2021, 08:13 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
There are far too many malls in this country. More than anywhere else on this planet. The Amazon Prime truck can now be seen seven days a week on our street making deliveries. It's much more convenient buying online from Ebay, Amazon, or other sites. The local mall just scrapped plans to convert the shuttered Sears store into a Costco after they realized that Costco would wipe out other smaller stores in the mall including the fast food court. They still have a JC Penny and Macy's store to worry about. The other problem is that the landlords are asking too much for rent to the point where a small retailer is better off operating in their home and selling online through the Ebay and Amazon market places.

Then you must have really thought we had a lot before half of all mall department stores closed in the last decade. Another 25% of mall will close within the next 5 years.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2021, 08:17 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
This is a great point that we don't hear nearly enough. The internet has made it possible for millions of people to start their own business without having to pay the overhead required for a B&M location. My wife has a sewing business the operates out of our living room. I've had an online collectibles business since 1986. Lots of people make and sell jewelry, clothing, soap, candles, toys, and all sorts of other products. If the business is big enough, maybe they rent a small commercial space but the transactions themselves are still 100% online.

And there are some great hybrid options cropping up too. Around us, there is a store in a downtown business district that has weekly "pop up" shops. Basically, for $20/day you can rent a space to sell your wares. My wife has done it a couple of times. It lets small businesses get public exposure without the huge financial commitment of renting their own store. If malls want to survive, maybe they should do more of this. There was a mall in the Orlando area that went this route and created a bunch of mini stores for local artists, crafters, and small businesses. There were still a few traditional stores and food locations, but the bulk of it was the small businesses.

The internet didnít just appear though. Its been around now for over 30 years and people have been selling items or services themselves off of it the entire time itís been available.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:23 PM   #63

Department Store Closures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Sorry the best burger takeout is by far In-N-Out Burger. Look what happened when they expanded to Colorado. People waited over 14 hours in line to get a burger and ever started fights when someone tried to cut into line. Shake Shack is also great but more expensive. The Five Guys we had near our condo in Florida went out of business pretty quickly.

Iíve had plenty of both and I have to say Five Guys Burgers are much better than In-N -Out Burgers. Plus Five Guys has much better service. They probably could hsve served that line that waited at In-N-Out in for 14 hours in under an hour! What knuckle head waits more than 10 minutes for even the best fast food? I know I wouldnít. I expect excellent fast food in under 5 minutes.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:54 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Been to 5 Guys once. Wonít go back again.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:31 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Me too. We got one a few years ago. Appears to be "fudruckers light" with crates for decor.

Been once and once was enough. There were 3 people eating there with me. Be gone soon.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:25 AM   #66
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I have a wide foot. EEEE.

Anyway, I know which lasts work
Where do you shop? I have the same problem.
Matthew J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:27 AM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
Iíve had plenty of both and I have to say Five Guys Burgers are much better than In-N -Out Burgers. Plus Five Guys has much better service. They probably could hsve served that line that waited at In-N-Out in for 14 hours in under an hour! What knuckle head waits more than 10 minutes for even the best fast food? I know I wouldnít. I expect excellent fast food in under 5 minutes.
Never been to an In-N-Out to compare, but I do enjoy Five Guys, though for health eating reasons I limit my visits to once per month . Among our area burger joints they hands down have the best service.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:44 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Me too. We got one a few years ago. Appears to be "fudruckers light" with crates for decor.

Been once and once was enough. There were 3 people eating there with me. Be gone soon.

Five Guys has been around for 30 years and has 1700 stores. They are entrenched everywhere except the west coast where they just arrived in the last 5 years or so.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:02 AM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
Five Guys has been around for 30 years and has 1700 stores. They are entrenched everywhere except the west coast where they just arrived in the last 5 years or so.
I've been to In-N-out and Five guys - mostly when I was snowbirding in Scottsdale, Az.
No In-N-outs in northern Illinois that I know of. Good thing. I used to go quite a bit in Az.

Funny thing though. The Phoenix metro area doesn't have hardly any donut shops. Thousands off them in northern Illinois.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:58 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post

Same here but Fuddruckerís was struggling here before COVID while 5Guys, Shake Shake and the others boomed. I loved Fuddís toppings bar but expect that is history.