Depositing checks online WITHOUT phone apps

gauss

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Folks,

I am trying to compile a list of financial institutions that allow online deposit of checks WITHOUT using a mobile phone app.

This would be accomplished with only a flatbed scanner and a PC (ie windows / Mac / Linux etc) with a web browser.

I will start the list with the ones that I know of including the institution and a link available to non-customers documenting the support for scanner (ie. non-phone) based check deposit:

1) First Internet Bank
(https://www.firstib.com/about-us/news-resources/blog/faq-category/iscan/ -- support listed under "What is Iscan?" bulet)

2) Ally Bank
(https://www.ally.com/help/bank/deposits.html -- support listed under "What is Ally eCheck Deposit?"

I suspect this feature may be slowly disappearing so having this list ready to go will be useful when the time comes.

Thanks in advance if you can extend this list.

-gauss

In an attempt to avoid this thread from turning into a discussion promoting the virtues of smartphone technology vs pcs, I will add two addition items that apply to me.

- I have tried phone bank deposits with multiple financial institutions and it has always ended in frustration after a couple of months.

- I only pay ~ $5 month for smart phone service with a data plan. Those who pay significantly more for cell phone plans may have less of an issue with this.

Last edited:
Since, as you point out, this capability may disappear at some point, why not rely on the tried and true method of mailing the check along with a deposit slip? Yes, it may take an extra couple of days but that seems far less of an inconvenience than changing banks, which it appears is why want this list.

Since, as you point out, this capability may disappear at some point, why not rely on the tried and true method of mailing the check along with a deposit slip? Yes, it may take an extra couple of days but that seems far less of an inconvenience than changing banks, which it appears is why want this list.

Agreed!

Paper is still king :cool:.

Last edited:
I'm not following why getting a cheap Wifi-only smartphone to do this is a bad idea, you don't need phone service with any carrier for that. Could probably just ask a family member for an old phone if you're too cheap to buy one. You're trying to work around a good system, I've done hundreds of deposits via a variety of phone apps.

There's absolutely no reason I can think of to use PCs for this UNLESS you either can't grok how to use phone apps or your instituition's app is broken (and then I'd move to one that works).

Last edited:
What frustrations did you experience? Checks too large for phone deposit? Checks not posted correctly? Issues correcting a mis-entered amount in the app? Not accepting your check photos?

Just curious as to what I should be looking for. I have not had any issues in several years of occasional deposits.

Since your concern is based on your experiences, what do you think about depositing the occasional check at an ATM? (I've never done that and not all ATMs accept deposits.)

Since your concern is based on your experiences, what do you think about depositing the occasional check at an ATM? (I've never done that and not all ATMs accept deposits.)

I've had few issues with mobile deposits, but I seldom have to make any. I've used Ally Bank, Charles Schwab, and Fidelity. Any issues were usually because the app needed updating first, then it was good to go. But based on the OP listing a couple of internet only banks, I'd guess that using an ATM isn't an option. Not everyone uses a local bank.

Last edited:
In an attempt to avoid this thread from turning into a discussion promoting the virtues of smartphone technology vs pcs, I will add two addition items that apply to me.

- I have tried phone bank deposits with multiple financial institutions and it has always ended in frustration after a couple of months.

- I only pay ~ $5 month for smart phone service with a data plan. Those who pay significantly more for cell phone plans may have less of an issue with this.

Per my last post, I've had no significant/recurring issues with Ally Bank, Schwab, or Fidelity for mobile deposits. Expensive smart phones or plans aren't required. I pay much less than you do for a prepaid Tello plan on an LG Tribute HD running Android 6.0.1. I've also used the mobile apps successfully on a Google Nexus 7 tablet. Data isn't even required. I use our WiFi.

I don’t like mailing checks and deposit slips, in addition to the hassle of finding a post office box. I always end up driving to the post office.

My laptop can take pictures. That might work for some institutions.

I always have an iOS device, so I use them. My iPad with home WiFi is my most used device for mobile deposit.

Last edited:
IIRC, USAA used to allow scanned check deposits. I don't bank with them anymore and don't know if they still do.

2) Ally Bank
(https://www.ally.com/help/bank/deposits.html -- support listed under "What is Ally eCheck Deposit?"

Thanks for the thread. I have had mixed luck (mostly bad) with the Chase app on depositing checks via a picture. It is cumbersome to get the angle correct when taking the picture so there is no shadow yet is bright enough to light the check front and back well where the app actually accepts it.

I'm a fan of Ally (and even more now that they have savings buckets) so I will try their phone app. [android, btw]

mdAZMgJ.jpg

NtCGHe4.jpg

Android OS based app (Google pixel, Samsung, etc): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ally.MobileBanking
Apple iOS based app: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ally-mobile/id514374715

Last edited:
Thanks for the thread. I have had mixed luck (mostly bad) with the Chase app on depositing checks via a picture. It is cumbersome to get the angle correct when taking the picture so there is no shadow yet is bright enough to light the check front and back well where the app actually accepts it.

I'm a fan of Ally (and even more now that they have savings buckets) so I will try their phone app. [android, btw]

mdAZMgJ.jpg

NtCGHe4.jpg

Take it with the light coming from the top of the check, like in front of a window.

Many banks do not accept mail deposits any longer (and most of those that do are working to discontinue it). It's a horribly inefficient way to process checks.

ATMs are one option, very easy if they are image enabled.

Mobile deposit technology will continue to get better - I do still have issues with my bank on occasion, but can generally get it to work. But it looks like you found an option for desktop scanning that should work for you.

USAA's app has come a long way in the last few years. It used to be a pain to catch the check at the right angle/lighting/background/weather conditions but now it's very easy and takes about 20 seconds from opening the app to having the deposit completed.

I have only used phone picture check deposit once or twice over the years, but it sure was handy to deposit a check into a bank while I was in a different country.

I had mistakenly brought the check with me :facepalm:

USAA's app has come a long way in the last few years. It used to be a pain to catch the check at the right angle/lighting/background/weather conditions but now it's very easy and takes about 20 seconds from opening the app to having the deposit completed.

That's interesting, because I've had the opposite experience. Been using it to deposit checks for years, never a problem. Then it suddenly got finicky on me a couple of months ago and kept rejecting checks no matter what I tried, including deleting and reinstalling the app, every sort of lighting, etc. Finally gave up and deposited those same checks via the Fidelity app with no problem at all.

That's interesting, because I've had the opposite experience. Been using it to deposit checks for years, never a problem. Then it suddenly got finicky on me a couple of months ago and kept rejecting checks no matter what I tried, including deleting and reinstalling the app, every sort of lighting, etc. Finally gave up and deposited those same checks via the Fidelity app with no problem at all.

Interesting. I wonder if this is more associated with the phone being used? Now that I think about it, the app seemed to work better starting about the same time I replaced my phone. I just assumed it was an improvement in the app.

No, my phone is nearly two years old, so that's not the issue.

My credit union allows checks to be deposited via web page and scanner.

As a matter of policy, I do no financial business using my phone, not even checking account balances.

I bank maybe 2 checks a month. I just mailed a couple to Schwab bank today. I have never had a problem but if I do have one someday the impact is limited to the checks in the specific deposit.

I used a many years old phone. I place the check on a black bench that is near a window, and usually get decent clear photos. Just had no probs at all. And I often use my iPad anyway which is WiFi only, so you don’t need a data plan to do mobile deposit.

I'm not getting checks from any regular source.

What checks are being deposited by all you ER folks that boast about never writing/receiving checks anymore? :confused:

The last actual check I deposited was for $6 from Pennzoil for a 5 quart motor oil rebate. :cool:

Discount Tire (Synchrony Bank) just sent me a $70 debit card for a recent tire purchase rebate.

Our SS checks and RMD pulls are electronically deposited.

And,of course, we have no employment W2 income.

Last edited:
I'm not getting checks from any regular source.

What checks are being deposited by all you ER folks that boast about never writing/receiving checks anymore? :confused:

The last actual check I deposited was for $6 from Pennzoil for a 5 quart motor oil rebate. :cool:

Discount Tire (Synchrony Bank) just sent me a $70 debit card for a recent tire purchase rebate.

Our SS checks and RMD pulls are electronically deposited.

And,of course, we have no employment W2 income.

I actually receive a lot more checks than I write. Here are the checks I've received in the past year.

We get a rent check from our tenant every month. She prefers that to other payment methods such as Venmo, and I don't mind as long as the phone deposit app works.

I get checks at Christmas and my birthday from my mother-in-law. So does DH. My mother also wrote me a check to reimburse me for something I purchased for her through my Amazon Prime account. Other family members wrote me checks when we did a group gift.

Annual dividend check from some Disney stock.

Misc product rebates.

Payment for participating in an online marketing study.

Mileage reimbursement from some volunteer activities.

Back
Top Bottom