Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-07-2020, 11:08 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My credit union allows checks to be deposited via web page and scanner.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2020, 11:15 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

As a matter of policy, I do no financial business using my phone, not even checking account balances.

I bank maybe 2 checks a month. I just mailed a couple to Schwab bank today. I have never had a problem but if I do have one someday the impact is limited to the checks in the specific deposit.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:29 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I used a many years old phone. I place the check on a black bench that is near a window, and usually get decent clear photos. Just had no probs at all. And I often use my iPad anyway which is WiFi only, so you don’t need a data plan to do mobile deposit.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:41 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not getting checks from any regular source.

What checks are being deposited by all you ER folks that boast about never writing/receiving checks anymore?

The last actual check I deposited was for $6 from Pennzoil for a 5 quart motor oil rebate.

Discount Tire (Synchrony Bank) just sent me a $70 debit card for a recent tire purchase rebate.

Our SS checks and RMD pulls are electronically deposited.

And,of course, we have no employment W2 income.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:01 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I'm not getting checks from any regular source.

What checks are being deposited by all you ER folks that boast about never writing/receiving checks anymore?

The last actual check I deposited was for $6 from Pennzoil for a 5 quart motor oil rebate.

Discount Tire (Synchrony Bank) just sent me a $70 debit card for a recent tire purchase rebate.

Our SS checks and RMD pulls are electronically deposited.

And,of course, we have no employment W2 income.
I actually receive a lot more checks than I write. Here are the checks I've received in the past year.

We get a rent check from our tenant every month. She prefers that to other payment methods such as Venmo, and I don't mind as long as the phone deposit app works.

I get checks at Christmas and my birthday from my mother-in-law. So does DH. My mother also wrote me a check to reimburse me for something I purchased for her through my Amazon Prime account. Other family members wrote me checks when we did a group gift.

Annual dividend check from some Disney stock.

Misc product rebates.

Payment for participating in an online marketing study.

Mileage reimbursement from some volunteer activities.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:14 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
I actually receive a lot more checks than I write. Here are the checks I've received in the past year.

We get a rent check from our tenant every month. She prefers that to other payment methods such as Venmo, and I don't mind as long as the phone deposit app works.

I get checks at Christmas and my birthday from my mother-in-law. So does DH. My mother also wrote me a check to reimburse me for something I purchased for her through my Amazon Prime account. Other family members wrote me checks when we did a group gift.

Annual dividend check from some Disney stock.

Misc product rebates.

Payment for participating in an online marketing study.

Mileage reimbursement from some volunteer activities.
Wow! Thanks for the list! I guess there are still a lot of people with checking accounts and more check use sources than I am aware of.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My credit union allows checks to be deposited via web page and scanner.
+1 (or maybe +2). I belong to two different credit unions - one in my "home town" and one where I live currently. Both have a means to scan front and back of check and upload the images.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:04 PM   #28

I am not sure if all phone app based deposits work the same. My 53rd app will wait until the check is either in-focus or the right size, or good contrast, etc. and then automatically snaps the photo. Not action taken on my part except point and wait for it to capture the image. I have never had an issue with those deposits.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:19 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
I am not sure if all phone app based deposits work the same. My 53rd app will wait until the check is either in-focus or the right size, or good contrast, etc. and then automatically snaps the photo. Not action taken on my part except point and wait for it to capture the image. I have never had an issue with those deposits.
Fidelity's works the same. It almost foolproof.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:41 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
What frustrations did you experience? Checks too large for phone deposit? Checks not posted correctly? Issues correcting a mis-entered amount in the app? Not accepting your check photos?

Just curious as to what I should be looking for. I have not had any issues in several years of occasional deposits. ...
Yes, knowing what issues you are having will help with answers.

As mentioned, with the phone on WiFi, there is no data charge, so that should not be a concern.

I find it cumbersome to log on with my phone to do a mobile deposit, and also wish I could do it from my laptop, using the built in web-cam. It's just far easier with a full sized, physical keyboard and large monitor. I guess I'll try making another suggestion to my Credit Union, I suspect I'll get a nicely worded "OK, Boomer" response.

A bit better is to use a tablet - larger screen, larger virtual keyboard.

Another option (I have not tried this), but I think that many new Chromebooks will run Android apps, so that's more like using a "real" computer.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:39 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I pretty much only get rebate checks these days, and only 2-4 a year.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:40 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I find it cumbersome to log on with my phone to do a mobile deposit, and also wish I could do it from my laptop, using the built in web-cam. It's just far easier with a full sized, physical keyboard and large monitor. I guess I'll try making another suggestion to my Credit Union, I suspect I'll get a nicely worded "OK, Boomer" response.
You just need a decent phone with biometrics, my 2 year old Galaxy Note 8 uses fingerprint recognition so I never have to type logins once it's setup in the app. Load the app, touch finger to sensor to login, put in deposit amount, deposit check. I always deposit checks on a black background so the check recognition works quicker. Don't know how any method could be quicker or easier.

Almost every financial app I use, including credit cards, supports this. Other phones (iPhones etc.) have facial recognition.

I do NOT do any investment activity on my phone so will never have the Fidelity or Vanguard apps loaded. But for checks, mobile deposits are a godsend.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:27 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

There are dozens of bank drive-throughs in my immediate neighborhood, and there are drive-throughs for his bank and for my bank less a mile from our homes. None of them are busy and it takes about 15 seconds to drive through one and deposit a check when on our way to lunch or somewhere else.

I suppose that depositing checks online (plus dealing with septic tanks, wells, and stray cows) could possibly be a problem for people who choose to live way out in the boonies countryside. Not my problem, though.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:30 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
You just need a decent phone with biometrics, my 2 year old Galaxy Note 8 uses fingerprint recognition so I never have to type logins once it's setup in the app. Load the app, touch finger to sensor to login, put in deposit amount, deposit check. I always deposit checks on a black background so the check recognition works quicker. Don't know how any method could be quicker or easier.

Almost every financial app I use, including credit cards, supports this. Other phones (iPhones etc.) have facial recognition.

I do NOT do any investment activity on my phone so will never have the Fidelity or Vanguard apps loaded. But for checks, mobile deposits are a godsend.
Well, my phone does not have fingerprint recognition, so no, it's not super-easy, and I'm not going to upgrade my phone just for this (I'm not a big phone user). It's not super-hard either, but it's not even debatable that it's easier to type/navigate on a computer with a full sized keyboard, mouse and large display than it is on a phone (and even though I'd like a bigger screen, I don't like carrying a phone that big, so I'm stuck until they perfect a cheap fold-able/projection screen or something). On the phone, I need to scroll around to see what is available on my computer screen w/o any scrolling.

And sometimes I like to take a screen shot on a financial site, and copy that, or the data into a spreadsheet or something. That's far more difficult on a phone.

All I'm saying is the option of using the computer with web-cam/scanner should be offered.

-ERD50
Old 02-08-2020, 11:32 AM   #35

OK, Boomer.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:36 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I confess that I've never deposited a check using a phone app.

Instead, for my online Discover checking account, I've printed out deposit slips, and mail then through good old snail mail.

So, for those that do deposit online, what do you do with the paper checks you've received? Say, if someone writes you a check for you help in something. Do you just shred the checks?
Old 02-08-2020, 12:02 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

Instead, for my online Discover checking account, I've printed out deposit slips, and mail then through good old snail mail.

So, for those that do deposit online, what do you do with the paper checks you've received? Say, if someone writes you a check for you help in something. Do you just shred the checks?
I sell them on eBay!

No I don't. Seriously, I write on the back "e-deposited" and the date. Some checks now have a check box on the back for indicating it was an online deposit. Imagine that! I save them for maybe a month to be sure they clear both my bank and the issuing bank. Then, like you mentioned, I shred them.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:04 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Just mark them deposited, with the date. Keep 'em maybe until you see them on the monthly statement (online or paper), or end of year, or just shred 'em - whatever.

I hate putting things in the mail. Things can get lost, so you really need to track it or you might miss it. Mobile deposit is near real time feedback.

I just bought some parts to refurbish a 1931 Lionel Tin-plate locomotive. A few guys have a business in supplying these parts to hobbyists. I go through the online ordering process, then... print the order form, and mail it in with a check!?

Haven't seen the check clear, it's been a couple weeks, I guess I have to email him to see if he got my order. Feels like the dark ages.

-ERD50
Old 02-08-2020, 12:32 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

You hold onto them for a few months, then shred.

I don’t like having checks in the mail.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:53 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
You hold onto them for a few months, then shred.

I don’t like having checks in the mail.
I see.

I actually have two checking accounts. My primary is online. But also, one that has a local branch at an area inside a nearby grocery store. That way, if I have a large check that I don't want in the mail, I'll just deposit in person at the store.

Of course, then to move the amounts around I go online and to transfers as both accounts are linked to a money market fund.

Sounds inconvenient, but for me, not too bad.