Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-08-2020, 01:03 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I’ve been depositing checks with my iPhone using the USAA app for years with no problems, and the funds are available immediately. I’ve also done it with Ally and a credit union. The credit union held the check for a few days.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2020, 01:15 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
I sell them on eBay!

No I don't. Seriously, I write on the back "e-deposited" and the date. Some checks now have a check box on the back for indicating it was an online deposit. Imagine that! I save them for maybe a month to be sure they clear both my bank and the issuing bank. Then, like you mentioned, I shred them.
I can see verified deposits usually later the same day online. The check is then torn up and thrown away. Never had a problem.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:10 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

To make a general comment on this thread - I thought the title was, "Depositing checks online WITHOUT phone apps". (Capitalization of WITHOUT is per OP, not added by me.) The first sentence is then, "I am trying to compile a list of financial institutions that allow online deposit of checks WITHOUT using a mobile phone app." OP also said he wanted "to avoid this thread from turning into a discussion promoting the virtues of smartphone technology vs pcs".

I know everyone is trying to be helpful, but after 42 posts in the thread so far, the large majority of them try to discuss/remove objections to using a phone app. Isn't that exactly what the OP said he did not want this thread to turn into? Other posts suggest mailing deposits or using ATMs - neither of which is "online" per OP's request.

Let me know if I've missed anything, but I can only find one post which gives actual suggestions to answer OP's question:

#12 IIRC, USAA

There are also these two posts:

#21, #27 "My credit union" and "two credit unions" respectively, but no names of these credit unions are identified, so not exactly an answer. Perhaps they imply a general suggestion for OP to check any credit unions he may have access to.

I'm also curious about OP's question, but judging by the responses (or lack thereof) here, evidently very few institutions support scanning checks and using a web browser to upload them (or similar method).
ILikeStarTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:18 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

The instructions I have gotten online from the financial institution is to hold the check for 3 months in case they need to verify. So that’s what I do.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:29 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikestartrek View Post
To make a general comment on this thread - I thought the title was, "Depositing checks online WITHOUT phone apps". (Capitalization of WITHOUT is per OP, not added by me.) The first sentence is then, "I am trying to compile a list of financial institutions that allow online deposit of checks WITHOUT using a mobile phone app." OP also said he wanted "to avoid this thread from turning into a discussion promoting the virtues of smartphone technology vs pcs".

I know everyone is trying to be helpful, but after 42 posts in the thread so far, the large majority of them try to discuss/remove objections to using a phone app. Isn't that exactly what the OP said he did not want this thread to turn into? Other posts suggest mailing deposits or using ATMs - neither of which is "online" per OP's request.

Let me know if I've missed anything, but I can only find one post which gives actual suggestions to answer OP's question:

#12 IIRC, USAA

#21, #27 "My credit union" and "two credit unions" respectively, but no names of these credit unions are identified, so not exactly an answer. Perhaps they imply a general suggestion for OP to check any credit unions he may have access to.

I'm also curious about OP's question, but judging by the responses (or lack thereof) here, evidently very few institutions support scanning checks and using a web browser to upload them (or similar method).

Thanks for noticing.

-OP
(gauss)
gauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:14 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I'm not getting checks from any regular source.

What checks are being deposited by all you ER folks that boast about never writing/receiving checks anymore?
OK. This made me curious. So, since the start of 2019....

1. Payment on an insurance claim
2. Refund on property taxes (x2)
3. Distribution from member owned insurance company
4. Refund check on insurance policy on property that had been sold
5. Insurance policy refund check on cancelled policy
6. Refund electric service
7. Small checks for earned interest on bank accounts recently closed
8. Refund on income taxes on my deceased mother's final tax return
9. Final pension payment on my deceased mother's pension
10. Option fee received on sale of property
11. Retainer refund
12. Insurance Refund on my deceased's mother medicare supplement

Granted a number of these were not common events (those related to my mother's estate). Not all of these were deposited by phone app. Those that were going into the estate bank account could not be deposited by app and had to be brought in. There is also a limit on the amount that can be deposited. Don't recall if any of these went over the amount.

Anyway, as can be seen, the majority of actual paper checks received were either related to my deceased mother or were for refunds of various things.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Depositing checks online WITHOUT phone apps
Old 02-08-2020, 09:21 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Depositing checks online WITHOUT phone apps

Quote:

I said, “my credit union”, because credit unions tend to be local. In case anyone cares, it is iQ Credit Union in the Portland, OR area.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:28 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

#12 IIRC, USAA

I offered an option. Posts like this don’t foster the community, just the opposite. Listening to other thoughts is one way to learn.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:41 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I offered an option. Posts like this don’t foster the community, just the opposite. Listening to other thoughts is one way to learn.
It seems like the OP appreciated my post (since he replied and said "Thanks").

To put it another way, let's get this thread back to the topic of the question the OP actually asked, instead of continuing to suggest and comment on the opposite of what was asked.
ILikeStarTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:03 AM   #50
Dryer sheet wannabe

Alliant credit union https://www.alliantcreditunion.org accepts online deposits from scanned checked images, which I have made from a flatbed scanner. It has been simplified and improved over the years, but I have fewer checks to deposit in recent years. I've had only one or two a year in recent years, the last in Nov. 2019.
gear2th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:22 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I said, “my credit union”, because credit unions tend to be local. In case anyone cares, it is iQ Credit Union in the Portland, OR area.
Thank you for adding the details travelover.

Regarding iqcu.com:

Do you know if the service (ie scanner based pc web deposit) is restricted to business accounts, or do they allow it for personal accounts also.

Thanks
gauss
Old 02-09-2020, 08:49 AM   #52

Quote:
And more importantly, this is old tech that will go away soon (and already has at most instituitions). Switch to a much better way or drive to the bank.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:58 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
In an attempt to avoid this thread from turning into a discussion promoting the virtues of smartphone technology vs pcs, I will add two addition items that apply to me.

- I have tried phone bank deposits with multiple financial institutions and it has always ended in frustration after a couple of months.

- I only pay ~ $5 month for smart phone service with a data plan. Those who pay significantly more for cell phone plans may have less of an issue with this.
To be fair, the above may have prompted some of the posts about using smartphones for mobile deposits. Since I - and obviously many others - have had no recurring issues with using mobile deposit, I don't think the posts discussing the lack of such problems were a total waste of Internet molecules.

Quote:
+1

Quote:
It seems like the OP appreciated my post (since he replied and said "Thanks").

To put it another way, let's get this thread back to the topic of the question the OP actually asked, instead of continuing to suggest and comment on the opposite of what was asked.
You have a whopping 31 posts under your belt in just over 2 years and you're telling the rest of us how and what to post here?
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:02 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Thank you for adding the details travelover.

Regarding iqcu.com:

Do you know if the service (ie scanner based pc web deposit) is restricted to business accounts, or do they allow it for personal accounts also.

Thanks

gauss

I only have a personal account, no business account and deposit checks via scanner. IQ also pays 2.5% on checking if you have a regular deposit there like SS or a pension check.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:37 PM   #55

I used to be able to deposit checks online with my scanner at US Bank. Sometime last year they eliminated the web based deposit system, so now I have to use my cell phone if I want to deposit a check from home. I've only deposited one check that way so far.

Most of the time I deposit checks at the ATM in town. I don't receive checks enough for that to be an issue.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:12 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
You have a whopping 31 posts under your belt in just over 2 years and you're telling the rest of us how and what to post here?
The fact remains that they brought up a good point. This isn't the City Data forum; some folks that have 10 or less posts here often bring better information than some folks that have 10,000+ posts.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:16 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
What checks are being deposited by all you ER folks that boast about never writing/receiving checks anymore?
My winnings from two fantasy football pools - two years in a row!

I'm really surprised these guys only work with personal checks (I had to find my checkbook to send them buy-in checks in the fall.)
ChicagoGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:44 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Just mark them deposited, with the date. Keep 'em maybe until you see them on the monthly statement (online or paper), or end of year, or just shred 'em - whatever.

I hate putting things in the mail. Things can get lost, so you really need to track it or you might miss it. Mobile deposit is near real time feedback.

I just bought some parts to refurbish a 1931 Lionel Tin-plate locomotive. A few guys have a business in supplying these parts to hobbyists. I go through the online ordering process, then... print the order form, and mail it in with a check!?

Haven't seen the check clear, it's been a couple weeks, I guess I have to email him to see if he got my order. Feels like the dark ages.

-ERD50
He probably doesn't have a phone to deposit the check with ...
Old 02-10-2020, 02:36 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear2th View Post
Alliant credit union https://www.alliantcreditunion.org accepts online deposits from scanned checked images, which I have made from a flatbed scanner. It has been simplified and improved over the years, but I have fewer checks to deposit in recent years. I've had only one or two a year in recent years, the last in Nov. 2019.
Thank your for this one.

As it turns out I currently do have a small balance savings account at Alliant CU, and it appears activated for their EdepositPlus 'scan at home' service.

-gauss
Old 02-10-2020, 02:37 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I only have a personal account, no business account and deposit checks via scanner. IQ also pays 2.5% on checking if you have a regular deposit there like SS or a pension check.
Thank you for the clarification, travelover.
-gauss