Join Early Retirement Today

Depositing checks online WITHOUT phone apps
Old 02-06-2020, 07:27 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Depositing checks online WITHOUT phone apps

Folks,

I am trying to compile a list of financial institutions that allow online deposit of checks WITHOUT using a mobile phone app.

This would be accomplished with only a flatbed scanner and a PC (ie windows / Mac / Linux etc) with a web browser.

I will start the list with the ones that I know of including the institution and a link available to non-customers documenting the support for scanner (ie. non-phone) based check deposit:

1) First Internet Bank
(https://www.firstib.com/about-us/new...ategory/iscan/ -- support listed under "What is Iscan?" bulet)

2) Ally Bank
(https://www.ally.com/help/bank/deposits.html -- support listed under "What is Ally eCheck Deposit?"

I suspect this feature may be slowly disappearing so having this list ready to go will be useful when the time comes.

Thanks in advance if you can extend this list.

-gauss

In an attempt to avoid this thread from turning into a discussion promoting the virtues of smartphone technology vs pcs, I will add two addition items that apply to me.

- I have tried phone bank deposits with multiple financial institutions and it has always ended in frustration after a couple of months.

- I only pay ~ $5 month for smart phone service with a data plan. Those who pay significantly more for cell phone plans may have less of an issue with this.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2020, 08:07 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Since, as you point out, this capability may disappear at some point, why not rely on the tried and true method of mailing the check along with a deposit slip? Yes, it may take an extra couple of days but that seems far less of an inconvenience than changing banks, which it appears is why want this list.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Since, as you point out, this capability may disappear at some point, why not rely on the tried and true method of mailing the check along with a deposit slip? Yes, it may take an extra couple of days but that seems far less of an inconvenience than changing banks, which it appears is why want this list.
Agreed!
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:16 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Paper is still king .
Old 02-06-2020, 08:18 AM   #5

I'm not following why getting a cheap Wifi-only smartphone to do this is a bad idea, you don't need phone service with any carrier for that. Could probably just ask a family member for an old phone if you're too cheap to buy one. You're trying to work around a good system, I've done hundreds of deposits via a variety of phone apps.

There's absolutely no reason I can think of to use PCs for this UNLESS you either can't grok how to use phone apps or your instituition's app is broken (and then I'd move to one that works).
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:23 AM   #6

What frustrations did you experience? Checks too large for phone deposit? Checks not posted correctly? Issues correcting a mis-entered amount in the app? Not accepting your check photos?

Just curious as to what I should be looking for. I have not had any issues in several years of occasional deposits.

Since your concern is based on your experiences, what do you think about depositing the occasional check at an ATM? (I've never done that and not all ATMs accept deposits.)
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
Since your concern is based on your experiences, what do you think about depositing the occasional check at an ATM? (I've never done that and not all ATMs accept deposits.)
I've had few issues with mobile deposits, but I seldom have to make any. I've used Ally Bank, Charles Schwab, and Fidelity. Any issues were usually because the app needed updating first, then it was good to go. But based on the OP listing a couple of internet only banks, I'd guess that using an ATM isn't an option. Not everyone uses a local bank.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
In an attempt to avoid this thread from turning into a discussion promoting the virtues of smartphone technology vs pcs, I will add two addition items that apply to me.

- I have tried phone bank deposits with multiple financial institutions and it has always ended in frustration after a couple of months.

- I only pay ~ $5 month for smart phone service with a data plan. Those who pay significantly more for cell phone plans may have less of an issue with this.
Per my last post, I've had no significant/recurring issues with Ally Bank, Schwab, or Fidelity for mobile deposits. Expensive smart phones or plans aren't required. I pay much less than you do for a prepaid Tello plan on an LG Tribute HD running Android 6.0.1. I've also used the mobile apps successfully on a Google Nexus 7 tablet. Data isn't even required. I use our WiFi.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:51 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

ATM's will take check deposits as well.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:31 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I deposit in the atm.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I don’t like mailing checks and deposit slips, in addition to the hassle of finding a post office box. I always end up driving to the post office.

My laptop can take pictures. That might work for some institutions.

I always have an iOS device, so I use them. My iPad with home WiFi is my most used device for mobile deposit.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:38 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

IIRC, USAA used to allow scanned check deposits. I don't bank with them anymore and don't know if they still do.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:08 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
2) Ally Bank
(https://www.ally.com/help/bank/deposits.html -- support listed under "What is Ally eCheck Deposit?"
Thanks for the thread. I have had mixed luck (mostly bad) with the Chase app on depositing checks via a picture. It is cumbersome to get the angle correct when taking the picture so there is no shadow yet is bright enough to light the check front and back well where the app actually accepts it.

I'm a fan of Ally (and even more now that they have savings buckets) so I will try their phone app. [android, btw]

Android OS based app (Google pixel, Samsung, etc): https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....MobileBanking
Apple iOS based app: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ally-mobile/id514374715
eroscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:11 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eroscott View Post
Thanks for the thread. I have had mixed luck (mostly bad) with the Chase app on depositing checks via a picture. It is cumbersome to get the angle correct when taking the picture so there is no shadow yet is bright enough to light the check front and back well where the app actually accepts it.

I'm a fan of Ally (and even more now that they have savings buckets) so I will try their phone app. [android, btw]

Take it with the light coming from the top of the check, like in front of a window.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:09 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Many banks do not accept mail deposits any longer (and most of those that do are working to discontinue it). It's a horribly inefficient way to process checks.

ATMs are one option, very easy if they are image enabled.

Mobile deposit technology will continue to get better - I do still have issues with my bank on occasion, but can generally get it to work. But it looks like you found an option for desktop scanning that should work for you.
ChicagoGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:35 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

USAA's app has come a long way in the last few years. It used to be a pain to catch the check at the right angle/lighting/background/weather conditions but now it's very easy and takes about 20 seconds from opening the app to having the deposit completed.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:43 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I have only used phone picture check deposit once or twice over the years, but it sure was handy to deposit a check into a bank while I was in a different country.

I had mistakenly brought the check with me
Old 02-07-2020, 10:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
USAA's app has come a long way in the last few years. It used to be a pain to catch the check at the right angle/lighting/background/weather conditions but now it's very easy and takes about 20 seconds from opening the app to having the deposit completed.
That's interesting, because I've had the opposite experience. Been using it to deposit checks for years, never a problem. Then it suddenly got finicky on me a couple of months ago and kept rejecting checks no matter what I tried, including deleting and reinstalling the app, every sort of lighting, etc. Finally gave up and deposited those same checks via the Fidelity app with no problem at all.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:48 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
That's interesting, because I've had the opposite experience. Been using it to deposit checks for years, never a problem. Then it suddenly got finicky on me a couple of months ago and kept rejecting checks no matter what I tried, including deleting and reinstalling the app, every sort of lighting, etc. Finally gave up and deposited those same checks via the Fidelity app with no problem at all.
Interesting. I wonder if this is more associated with the phone being used? Now that I think about it, the app seemed to work better starting about the same time I replaced my phone. I just assumed it was an improvement in the app.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:49 AM   #20

No, my phone is nearly two years old, so that's not the issue.