Join Early Retirement Today

Describe your last year's 1099-R from Roth Conversion
Old 10-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #1

Describe your last year's 1099-R from Roth Conversion

Do you have an old 1099-R that you got from a past Roth Conversion? Please read on!

My approach (maybe overly detailed) is to run through my tax software with a Roth conversion I plan to do this year. The problem is I don't know what will be on the 1099-R that Fidelity will be sending. So I'm stuck on that part of the software's "interview". I know the amount, and can presume certain boxes would not have values, etc, but I'm not 100% confident. There's also the "distribution code", which I imagine must be a "2", but I guess they could put something else on there too.

If I could hear back something like "I converted a traditional to a Roth last year and boxes x, and y had the same value, the distribution code was "z", and none of the other boxes were filled in.

I called Fidelity and asked them, but, eh, yeah, the guy was stumped and told me to call the IRS.

--Dale--
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the Forum

I've done the same thing as you and guessed at the answers so I'll be interested in seeing any responses. In my case I converted a VG T-IRA to a Roth. I have no other IRA's with VG or anyone else, and know the cost basis, so I know what should be the taxable portion, and after the Q&A looked at the form view and it looked correct to me.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

There might be information here: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099r.pdf

that would help show where on what form you would see the amounts for a Roth
Old 10-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
Administrator

From my son's '09 vanguard conversion

On the 1099-R, box 1 is the distribution amount - the amount you are converting. Same amount in box 2a. Box 4 if any tax is withheld (not usual). Box 7 code 2. IRA/SEP box checked. Nothing else.

Good luck with your conversion.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

On the 1099-R, box 1 is the distribution amount - the amount you are converting. Same amount in box 2a. Box 4 if any tax is withheld (not usual). Box 7 code 2. IRA/SEP box checked. Nothing else.

Thanks Michael
Old 10-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Thanks Michael
My pleasure.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

Thanks for the precision response! Exactly what I needed to get through the interview. I'm new to this particular forum site but I have a feeling, based on this start, I'll be here a lot!

And to Alan, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one doing this kind of analysis. Just seemed like the thing to do in order to get a bead on this thing. Two calls I made were to Fidelity (nice enough, but I got the feeling the rep thought I was nuts for even thinking of it), and to H&R Block - TaxCut (asking when the new tax software will be available for download...wouldn't tell me, finally wrangled out that the '09 version came out last year in mid-November). So I'm running the numbers with last years' version.

--Dale--
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roth conversion, sample 1099-r