Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

dinner out with friends - paying the bill?
Old 09-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #1

dinner out with friends - paying the bill?

I'm curious how others feel/handle paying for dinner when you go out with a group of friends (say, 3-4 couples). We would prefer to just ask for separate checks (if the restaurant will do that), or, afterwards everyone just chip in what their bill came to (approximately). One of our friends seems really uncomfortable with this and just wants to "split it 3 ways on our cards" (i.e. if 3 couples)

This isn't fair if you are like us - we rarely get an appetizer or a dessert, and often don't order expensive drinks. Yet, we don't want to look cheap, so we just go along with the flow.

So how do you handle these social situations?

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We ask for a separate check. The others are big kids, let them figure out what they want to do.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just add it up or split the checks.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

We chip in what our orders cost, plus a generous tip. There's always enough money for the bill when we dine out with our close friends.

Of course, having generous friends helps -- nobody stints, everyone's happy.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

We always try to pay for everybody, but sometimes they ask for separate checks.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

90% of the time we just split. In the unusual case where we are way off, I will just say I'm gonna pick up the extra for whatever we had that they didn't (maybe a bottle of wine or a very pricey special).

But basically, we hand the server the two credit cards and say split it.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Usually everyone gets separate checks in the rare event that the restaurant will go along with that. Otherwise, each pays for approximately what they owe (give or take two or three dollars, plus tip).

It all works out nicely. If there isn't enough left for a good sized tip once all the money has been collected in the middle of the table, then everyone chips in another dollar or two.

So, we don't split it exactly to the very penny, but those who spent more pay more. Usually someone is short on cash, and that person ends up charging all of it and taking cash from the others and leaving a cash tip.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I want to go to dinner with LOL!. I generally split the bill. Or if I am in Vegas with friends we take turns paying for meals.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I want to go to dinner with LOL!. I generally split the bill. Or if I am in Vegas with friends we take turns paying for meals.
Me too!

Ahhh Vegas. I haven't been there in three years...I'm gettin' the itch.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

We almost always split it down the middle. Sometimes it isn't fair to one or the other but it probably averages out over time.

It is hard when you're with a couple who gets a couple of mixed drinks, appetizers, bottle of wine, and dessert, if you don't--I would hope they would realize they should be picking up more than 50%, but if they don't, you can just speak up.

Also, most restaurants have let us put $50 on our card and $40 on the other person's--you just have to tell the waiter how to split it.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #11

There are VERY few restaurants around here that won't do separate checks....so that's the norm for us. There are a few cases where we go out for dinner with friends fairly regularly, and we all just take turns paying.

A friend of mine from Chicago came down a few weeks ago, and I'd cyphered out that it was her turn to buy this time. So we head out to dinner at a nice joint.....and me being a cheap-skate thrifty, we went in time for the 'early-bird' specials.

After dinner the waitress brings the bill to the table, and I aim it toward my friend, who says "Oh noooooo! It's YOUR turn. Remember, I came to town last month and we did breakfast...and I bought...remember??"

Dang!!! I forgot! She'd bought breakfast at the greasy-spoon, and I have to buy dinner at this swanky joint! Foiled again! Next time it's gonna be prime-rib, doggone it!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Ahhh Vegas. I haven't been there in three years...I'm gettin' the itch.
Just got a consulting request and will probably be there in October for the first time in 5 years or so. Should be fun and the worst of the heat should be gone.

Maybe I'll stay downtown for a change of pace from the strip.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Separate checks always.
The exception is if we are all ordering dishes for everyone to sample from, like appetizers or pizza and wings served family style.
When only one bill is allowed, I truly dislike the money figuring part at the end. I can do the math quickly in my head, but I have found folks like to add up their own bills. And are often wrong, forgetting tax or the bottle of wine we didn't share or whatever.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #14

I always speak up and ask for a separate check. I think it is more relaxing to do it this way and also much easier when it comes to paying the bill. I put the meal on my cc most of the time and leave the tip in cash. Of course, if I have invited someone, say for lunch, or they have driven a distance to visit me, I pick up the tab especially if I have chosen a pricey dining spot. In the latter case, I think of them as my guest and the meal out in lieu of what I should have been furnishing to them in my home as a hostess.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Just got a consulting request and will probably be there in October for the first time in 5 years or so. Should be fun and the worst of the heat should be gone.

Maybe I'll stay downtown for a change of pace from the strip.
Hey...maybe I'll go then too! What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas...right?

btw, I stayed at the Golden Nugget years ago and I loved it. Hopefully it is still a fine hotel...
Old 09-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

We regularly go out with a three other couples and get separate checks . We do take turns buying appetizers ,wine or dessert for the table .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
We ask for a separate check. The others are big kids, let them figure out what they want to do.
Not a couple here but I would do the same. I have dinner and drinks with an old buddy every few weeks and we just rotate the check each time. Works out the same. But that's a pretty simple situation.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

My husband usually tries to sneak away and pay the bill, but some friends have caught on and either ask for separate checks or sneak away some other time and pay the bill. It's become kind of a game which is fun!

Obviously our eating out budget is a little more generous than our friends.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

We always just split the checks when out with friends. If there is a huge obvious difference, one party might insist on kicking in something extra. But I'm not concerned about an exact split when out with friends, and fortunately I don't have any friends that I'd worry about this with (can't imagine frankly). YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #20

First time with a couple we split the check. If it appears that things are really out of balance we may even split the second. Third time it is either separate checks or pay our share. If we are the one ordering extra we always insist on paying for our extras or cover the entire tip or both. I have a SIL that orders several drinks, expensive meal, and desert. She knows we are not going to let her pick up the check.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote