Join Early Retirement Today

Discount Tire Credit Card?
Old 09-18-2021, 04:25 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Discount Tire Credit Card?

I tend to avoid store credit cards like the plague. The only one I currently have that's still active is Kohl's.

I will probably be replacing my car tires in the not so distant future. While I will consider Costco, they have extremely limited selection for my staggered fitment sports coupe. Instead I'll probably purchase at Discount Tire as I've had great service from them in the past and they are far closer than the nearest Costco. Discount Tire is big on manufacturer rebates but in addition, they often have an additional rebate on a few tire brands of $50 per set and up that is available if you use their particular credit card. What's nice is that the extra rebate can be combined with the manufacturer's rebate for even more savings. I don't see using this card that much although we have two cars so maybe every couple of years. There's no fee so I wonder if anyone has had experience with the card.
Ian S is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2021, 05:57 PM   #2

Check on Amazon. I did it last time I replaced my tires and end to end it was excellent.

Amazon has installation agreements with many local chains across the country. When you purchase your tires on Amazon, it immediately offers the installation (which is less expensive than the chain's own installation prices) and throws you in to a scheduler where you can pick your installation slot.

When I did it, the tires were the ones I wanted, cheapest price around and I had it installed at the local Pep Boys I regularly go to. It was two years ago, and I believe I saved close to $200.

The great thing is that you can choose any tire you like which is on the Amazon site, they ship to the local installer, and everything gets taken care of. They confirm the appointment, you show up, they put the tires on, and you're done. I noticed one of the local chains was charging for balancing on top of installation (I had never seen that before) if you just walk in, whereas with Amazon the balancing is included with installation package.

Have a look on Amazon and see if they have the tires you're looking for and the total price with install.

DW's car is due for new tires before winter, and I've just begun looking on Amazon and still like what I see.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Check on Amazon. I did it last time I replaced my tires and end to end it was excellent.

Amazon has installation agreements with many local chains across the country. When you purchase your tires on Amazon, it immediately offers the installation (which is less expensive than the chain's own installation prices) and throws you in to a scheduler where you can pick your installation slot.

When I did it, the tires were the ones I wanted, cheapest price around and I had it installed at the local Pep Boys I regularly go to. It was two years ago, and I believe I saved close to $200.

The great thing is that you can choose any tire you like which is on the Amazon site, they ship to the local installer, and everything gets taken care of. They confirm the appointment, you show up, they put the tires on, and you're done. I noticed one of the local chains was charging for balancing on top of installation (I had never seen that before) if you just walk in, whereas with Amazon the balancing is included with installation package.

Have a look on Amazon and see if they have the tires you're looking for and the total price with install.

DW's car is due for new tires before winter, and I've just begun looking on Amazon and still like what I see.
Thanks for that suggestion! I'll take a look.
Ian S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
I tend to avoid store credit cards like the plague. The only one I currently have that's still active is Kohl's.

I will probably be replacing my car tires in the not so distant future. While I will consider Costco, they have extremely limited selection for my staggered fitment sports coupe. Instead I'll probably purchase at Discount Tire as I've had great service from them in the past and they are far closer than the nearest Costco. Discount Tire is big on manufacturer rebates but in addition, they often have an additional rebate on a few tire brands of $50 per set and up that is available if you use their particular credit card. What's nice is that the extra rebate can be combined with the manufacturer's rebate for even more savings. I don't see using this card that much although we have two cars so maybe every couple of years. There's no fee so I wonder if anyone has had experience with the card.
not that one but years ago i fell for the same deal at Goodyear. bought the tires on the card, paid the entire balance when the first statement came and then closed the account. the dang blasted account still shows up (as closed) on our credit report years later. under the theory of 'blow that dough' IMO the piddling amount is not worth the hassle.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:23 PM   #5

Quote:

I've had that card for 5 years. I have used it at least four times. 6 months 0%. Plus the rebates. One time I had tire rack send tires there. No issues.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:14 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes. DH applied for the card for the $50, plus you get 0% interest for some period of time. I wasn't that happy about it because it was a hard inquiry and it was unnecessary. Just not enough benefit to my mind to make up for the hard inquiry.

Anyway - the form they gave him to get back the $50 had just expired! He took it back to them and the salesman said it would be honored. We were doubtful and they agreed to just refund him the $50 to the credit card instead which was done.. I didn't really like messing with the credit card balance so after a month I just paid off the balance.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for that suggestion! I'll take a look.

I think you'll be happy and surprised at the wide selection and very good pricing you'll have - not being limited by inventory at any particular shop. Also, knowing/paying the all-in bottom line price before you go is wonderful - they're not going to throw any bogus/hidden charges in or hit you up for additional services.

I'm ready to hit the buy button on Amazon - tires selected, even closer/cheaper installer than the Pep Boys I usually go to...just waiting for October 1 to do it, since that's when the Discover 5% rebate kicks in for Amazon.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:49 AM   #8

Yes, me. I bought snow tires a few years ago and got a discount (can't remember what it was) by applying for and using their credit card. It worked out fine. I only used it for the tires and then let it cancel itself. Discount Tires rotates my tires twice a year for free after buying the tires from them--a very good deal.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:08 PM   #9

If you are a Costco member, they have a big sale going on right now as well. Set of 4 Michelins gets an instant $150 discount. Set of 4 BF Goodrich gets instant $110 discount.
Old 09-19-2021, 03:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
If you are a Costco member, they have a big sale going on right now as well. Set of 4 Michelins gets an instant $150 discount. Set of 4 BF Goodrich gets instant $110 discount.
Thanks for the heads up. I was planning to get a new set of Michelins in the next month or so anyway.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:30 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another vote for Amazon. Last year I knew what tires I wanted but my normal vendor (Tire Rack) did not have them. Somehow I found exactly what I wanted on Amazon. The price was great and also got 5% cashback on Amazon Chase Visa plus free shipping. They shipped to local Sears Auto Center. Smooth transaction.

I can’t imagine a credit card just for auto parts and supplies.