Discounts for Seniors

I asked one time at our local AMC theater what the age for a senior ticket was and the teenager behind the cash register laughed (pleasantly) and said "Lady, if you're willing to say you're a senior, I'll give you the discount." So I did.
When I was in my early 50's I took my date (22 y/o) to the movies. I gave the cashier exact change for two tickets. She handed me my tickets and some coins back. I told her that I thought she had made a mistake and she proceeded to point to the line on the "price menu" that said Seniors (60+). I was very happy to receive the discount and told my girlfriend what a great country she lived in.

She then refused to be seen with me as we entered the theater and while I enjoyed getting the discount, I realized it would be more costly in the long run!

I discovered that not every McDonalds offers the senior coffee either. It is up to the discretion of the owner.

And I've learned to ask everywhere if they have a senior discount. JoAnnes (fabric & craft) stores has one once a week, but it ismnot advertised anywhere that I've seen.

What are the particulars: age requirement; what day; % of discount; can it be used with they coupons?

When I was in my early 50's I took my date (22 y/o) to the movies. I gave the cashier exact change for two tickets. She handed me my tickets and some coins back. I told her that I thought she had made a mistake and she proceeded to point to the line on the "price menu" that said Seniors (60+). I was very happy to receive the discount and told my girlfriend what a great country she lived in.

She then refused to be seen with me as we entered the theater and while I enjoyed getting the discount, I realized it would be more costly in the long run!

You're lucky the cashier didn't call the police, 22 years old, sheeeeesh!;)

Saturday morning = Chic-Fil-A with 2 buttered biscuits and 2 coffees (+ refills + WiFi) for $1.84 Do the math :dance:

I asked about a senior discount coffee for the first time ever this morning, at Chick-fil-a. The cashier said the corporate office eliminated it nationwide last month. :facepalm: At least I tried.

That's the spirit! Don't give up! ;)

Simarlily, many states provide a discount on property taxes. I saw my assessment go up by $22K this year, so this is one time I would be willing to age 2 more years:D

Yep! Just went to the township office a few weeks ago to start our "senior exemption." There are two levels depending on income. We got the smaller exemption but it'll still take between $200 and $300 off our taxes beginning this year (payable next year).

And almost as good, our town offers 50% off the garbage collection fee once you get the senior exemption on your property taxes. That's saving us about $3 per week and has already started. I guess they figure we geezers don't make as much garbage.......

And almost as good, our town offers 50% off the garbage collection fee once you get the senior exemption on your property taxes. That's saving us about $3 per week and has already started. I guess they figure we geezers don't make as much garbage.......

Our village gives the first automobile sticker for free to seniors. And I mentioned before, discounted water/sewer rates.

I'm 53, so I never get a discount on my own. I suppose I could ask, but I'll wait for the official "double nickels" to arrive. ;)
Mr B is 60, so he asks for and gets the discount without being proofed.
The cashier usually applies the discount to the entire check. :D

Couple of days ago went to get a fishing licence. Normally it is $22 +9 for a trout stamp. Since i'll turn 65 in November. Go the Senior discount. $19 for all.

Like this senior stuff.

I'm surprised the thread has gone more than 60 posts without mention of one of the best Senior Discounts available anywhere: National Parks and Federal Recreation Lands Senior Pass

For a one time fee of $10 at age 62, the pass provides free admission for life for you and everyone in your car or up to 3 others in your party if on foot, plus 50% discounts on other fees like camping.

Last edited:
I'm surprised the thread has gone more than 60 posts without mention of one of the best Senior Discounts available anywhere: National Parks and Federal Recreation Lands Senior Pass

For a one time fee of $10 at age 62, the pass provides free admission for life for you and everyone in your car or up to 3 others in your party if on foot, plus 50% discounts on other fees like camping.

This is the one I'm waiting for as soon as I get to that magic age. I'm expecting it will change before I am eligible.

This is National Park Week so the parks are free to everyone through the weekend!

No one has mentioned the best discount of all - the one on your 1040:

Higher Standard Deduction for Age (65 or Older)
If you do not itemize deductions, you are entitled to a higher standard deduction if you are age 65 or older at the end of the year. You are considered 65 on the day before your 65th birthday. Therefore, you can take a higher standard deduction for 2011 if you were born before January 2, 1947.

IRS_Table_20.2

Only the federal government would decide you were 65 the day before you turned 65. No, no need to simplify the tax code. Why?

Cool list. Could you update it in about 9 to 16 years for me. Thanks!:D

REW

I was just reviewing this thread and came across the "Mexican Faucet" cocktail recipe. You know with the prune juice in the mix you might rename it the "Leaky Mexican Faucet".

Just a thought.

Good info. Remind me again in 2016. ;)

Although I always ask for senior discounts, I find it kind of ironic that this isn't really the time of my life when I really need discounts. I have more disposable income now than when I was in my 20's - early 50's, raising kids, paying a mortgage, paying for college, etc. When I was younger was when I really needed the discounts.

Although I always ask for senior discounts, I find it kind of ironic that this isn't really the time of my life when I really need discounts. I have more disposable income now than when I was in my 20's - early 50's, raising kids, paying a mortgage, paying for college, etc. When I was younger was when I really needed the discounts.
Which is why it shouldn't be this way.

Same here....

The discounts are not there to make these more fair or to reward people for being seniors (at least they should not be).
Discounts are targeted to increase business from a sector of the market that is harder to attract without the discount. That is the way smart businesses act in a free market.

The discounts are not there to make these more fair or to reward people for being seniors (at least they should not be).
Discounts are targeted to increase business from a sector of the market that is harder to attract without the discount. That is the way smart businesses act in a free market.

+1 Kinda like sales. There to attract people that don't want to pay full price (some people do, but probably not many here)

Back
Top Bottom