Discounts for Seniors

I find it easier to simply ask "Can I get a senior discount?"...

Seeing as how I'm only 54, I'm not yet in the habit of asking that question. Once actually enter into old-geezer status next year, I'm sure it'll eventually become second nature. However, having said that, I did spend lots of years in the military, and what I learned about group discounts was that sometimes the young clerk/waitress whatever might tell you that no, they don't give the discount, they are sometimes just ignorant of the fact that the company actually does offer one. I've encountered that situation more than once. I'm probably not really going to carry the paper around in my wallet, though.

I use them.

I question whether they should be legal. Blatant age discrimination against the poorer young adults (on average vs. seniors) with kids to raise to me. That shouldn't be IMO. I mean why should someone on unemployemnt have to pay more for goods than someone retired with ample income? Makes no sense outside politics.

I've always looked very young for my age. I'd probably be laughed at if I asked for a senior discount. :angel:

I use them.

I question whether they should be legal. Blatant age discrimination against the poorer young adults (on average vs. seniors) with kids to raise to me. That shouldn't be IMO. I mean why should someone on unemployemnt have to pay more for goods than someone retired with ample income? Makes no sense outside politics.
Then don't you feel you are being unethical by taking advantage of the discounts?

I was at Chick-fil-a this morning. Ordered coffee with a burrito. I usually order a senior coffee. It's free! Why did I forget to do it this morning:confused: Sometimes it's hard to admit you're a senior, even to yourself I suppose.

Tell them you had a "senior moment", and see if they help you out!! :LOL:

I think that some of that list is participating stores only. If there Is not a sign it would be hard for me to ask when buying a 5 dollar foot long. I will print the list. Thanks

If there Is not a sign...
I don't think I've ever seen a sign posted in any place of business. I ask as I pay the bill at almost every business (not the gas station or supermarket) and get a discount more often than not. I'm not saying my 'dressed in old clothes, needs a shave and a haircut' appearance helps, but...:)

I don't think I've ever seen a sign posted in any place of business. I ask as I pay the bill at almost every business (not the gas station or supermarket) and get a discount more often than not. I'm not saying my 'dressed in old clothes, needs a shave and a haircut' appearance helps, but...:)
Could be pity...

I asked one time at our local AMC theater what the age for a senior ticket was and the teenager behind the cash register laughed (pleasantly) and said "Lady, if you're willing to say you're a senior, I'll give you the discount." So I did.

I asked one time at our local AMC theater what the age for a senior ticket was and the teenager behind the cash register laughed (pleasantly) and said "Lady, if you're willing to say you're a senior, I'll give you the discount." So I did.
The secret is to never ask that question, only "Do you offer a senior discount?". Most will not ask you how old you are or to show proof of age (never happened - probably for good reason :)), and will simply add the discount if the business offers one.

East Texas said:
The lady immediately asked if I wanted a senior drink.

"Yes, I'd like a Geritol on the rocks."

Eeewww.

No Al, what you want is a "Mexican Faucet": 1 part prune juice, 1 part orange juice, 1 part tequila. Serve on the rocks with a twist of lemon.

OMG ROTFLMAO. which is worse, the drink or the name?

Thanks for this list. I'm 55 this year and my first senior discount is my monthly YWCA. With BCBS's discount for 12 uses per month plus the senior discount, my monthly fee for unlimited group classes, weights, pool, etc. is only $18.00! I think I'm gonna like being a senior (but not TOO senior).

No one has mentioned the best discount of all - the one on your 1040:

Higher Standard Deduction for Age (65 or Older)
If you do not itemize deductions, you are entitled to a higher standard deduction if you are age 65 or older at the end of the year. You are considered 65 on the day before your 65th birthday. Therefore, you can take a higher standard deduction for 2011 if you were born before January 2, 1947.

IRS_Table_20.2

I asked about a senior discount coffee for the first time ever this morning, at Chick-fil-a. The cashier said the corporate office eliminated it nationwide last month. :facepalm: At least I tried.

No one has mentioned the best discount of all - the one on your 1040:

Higher Standard Deduction for Age (65 or Older)
If you do not itemize deductions, you are entitled to a higher standard deduction if you are age 65 or older at the end of the year. You are considered 65 on the day before your 65th birthday. Therefore, you can take a higher standard deduction for 2011 if you were born before January 2, 1947.

IRS_Table_20.2

Simarlily, many states provide a discount on property taxes. I saw my assessment go up by $22K this year, so this is one time I would be willing to age 2 more years:D

I discovered that not every McDonalds offers the senior coffee either. It is up to the discretion of the owner.

And I've learned to ask everywhere if they have a senior discount. JoAnnes (fabric & craft) stores has one once a week, but it ismnot advertised anywhere that I've seen.

I asked about a senior discount coffee for the first time ever this morning, at Chick-fil-a. The cashier said the corporate office eliminated it nationwide last month. :facepalm: At least I tried.

Since I saw that Subway was listed on this thread, last week while ordering I asked my local Subway if they had a senior discount. The response was a guilty look, and the cashier said in a much heavier Indian accent than before, "I am new, I don't know!". Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom