Discretionary Spending - Can It be Irrational?

I know. ;) Scratch the RV and add in a house on city sewer. :ROFLMAO:

ABSOLUTELY!!! City water, too. None of those well thingies. And cable internet. I have to have my trappings of civilization, y'know. :D

But I really wouldn't call the house discretionary spending - - in my case, it would fit into my house-buying budget.

But I really wouldn't call the house discretionary spending - - in my case, it would fit into my house-buying budget.

Oh, I am sure it would fit in your budget. I don't think any of us here is an ascetic like the Phoenix man in a recent thread who died homeless and left behind $4M.

About septic tanks and a well, I have lived in the suburb all my life and only recently learned about rural living when I bought my 2nd place in the high country. It is actually worry-free so far. There is nothing to fear. :)

Armed with this perspective, you could go back to your brother with that other ER koan: "Should I pay off my mortgage or invest the savings?"

Oddly, we just requested the paperwork to pay it off. The balance is small, and we just want to get rid of it. No analysis done.

No, there will be no RV for me! :LOL:

I forgot that the RV can fit on Frank's list. :D

However, seeing that you have been and will be living in separate houses, I would wonder if there would be conflicts sharing the tight spaces of an RV. I have been entertaining the idea that my wife and I would enjoy cocooning in a small space, not unlike the treehouses that little kids enjoy. It's the theory anyhow, and it would be interesting to see if it works out that way.

I forgot that the RV can fit on Frank's list. :D

This is true. If he decides to buy one, that's fine with me. He talks about it every now and then, but so far he is still analyzing the lifecycle costs and thinking about it.

However, seeing that you have been and will be living in separate houses, I would wonder if there would be conflicts sharing the tight spaces of an RV. I have been entertaining the idea that my wife and I would enjoy cocooning in a small space, not unlike the treehouses that little kids enjoy. It's the theory anyhow, and it would be interesting to see if it works out that way.

One of the nice things about our relationship is that we don't have to be together at any particular time if we don't want to be together. If I wasn't reasonably happy or if I felt a need for some "alone time", I would just go home rather than getting cross and cranky. I will always have a home.

This is true. If he decides to buy one, that's fine with me. He talks about it every now and then, but so far he is still analyzing the lifecycle costs and thinking about it.

I think that same as travel, or any discretionary spending for that matter, one cannot justify the cost. Either you want it AND can afford it, or you don't. I am beginning to think I, no we, might like it, but we will start small first.

One of the nice things about our relationship is that we don't have to be together at any particular time if we don't want to be together. If I wasn't reasonably happy or if I felt a need for some "alone time", I would just go home rather than getting cross and cranky. I will always have a home.

What I was thinking is that in the middle of the night, with the RV parked somewhere in the boondock, you cannot say you want to go to the nearest airport to catch a flight home. ;)

Oddly, we just requested the paperwork to pay it off. The balance is small, and we just want to get rid of it. No analysis done.

Culture, Culture, Culture...

You mean you just acted :eek: without analyzing the optimal outcomes?!? Wthout running FireCalc 17 times? Without reading the 49 threads that deal with this issue?!!?

Shocked, I am, truly shocked :greetings10::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::flowers:

other than that, you seem to be a nice person ;)

ta,
mew

With my discretionary money I spoil my daughter ,son in law and grandson and travel . The value in these things are priceless to me .I also looked at RV's today . You guys must be playing those subliminal tapes again because RVing is looking more and more appealing .

Maybe a change of terms will help. DW & I each have separate mad money funds, that is actually the label on the spreadsheet. We start off with the premise that what is bought out of these funds does not require consultation or justification.

I also looked at RV's today . You guys must be playing those subliminal tapes again because RVing is looking more and more appealing .
img_846185_0_711c093ec83ad29d7ea4a5b594bbc878.gif

Let's see...some personal extremes.

I invested and contributed to my 401(K) religiously while w*rking. Sensible. Correct move. I'm still investing, post FIRE.

OTOH, I saved up enough while w*rking to buy my midlife crisis car, a brand new convertible, designed strictly for vroom vroom burning fossil fuel at will. :cool:
It depreciated the day I drove it off the lot, and continues to lose value every time I fire her up and go for a spin. Sigh. ;) But you know what? It's all paid for and I really enjoy it.

I just returned from a dream trip abroad. Took me over a year to save up for it, but it was excellent and it's all paid for too. :D

I'm OK with both ends of the spectrum. :whistle:

I think that same as travel, or any discretionary spending for that matter, one cannot justify the cost. Either you want it AND can afford it, or you don't. I am beginning to think I, no we, might like it, but we will start small first.

Luckily, whether or not he buys an RV is decision is his to make, one way or another. So I don't have to fuss and worry about it. The last time he mentioned it, he was not encouraged by the lifecycle costs. It matters not to me.

What I was thinking is that in the middle of the night, with the RV parked somewhere in the boondock, you cannot say you want to go to the nearest airport to catch a flight home. ;)
Don't worry about me! :LOL: Interactions that may seem like a problem to you, are simply a non-problem for us.

...RVing is looking more and more appealing .
...particularly if you have someone to do the driving and handling the drain hose. :D Oh, you still need to be the flagwoman with a walkie talkie to direct the backing operation. :D

About septic tanks and a well, I have lived in the suburb all my life and only recently learned about rural living when I bought my 2nd place in the high country. It is actually worry-free so far. There is nothing to fear. :)
Until you remove the cover....:eek:

Did I ever tell you about the 6 inch s**t snakes that are native to the Adirondacks? :whistle:

Don't worry about me! :LOL: Interactions that may seem like a problem to you, are simply a non-problem for us.

Cool. :cool: Just wondering, since you are the couple who want separate houses. I, on the other hand, am not so confident after reading about how people act in the tight confine of an RV or boat. Time will tell, I guess.

Hmm... Just wondering if that could be one of the reasons for the abundance of second-hand RVs.

I, on the other hand, am not so confident after reading about how people act in the tight confine of an RV or boat. Time will tell, I guess.

Hmm... Just wondering if that could be one of the reasons for the abundance of second-hand RVs.

Can't speak for boats, but when it comes to an RV the idea is to be able to get to a location where you can get out and enjoy/sightsee/explore, not sit around inside the RV and irritate each other. :cool:

Cool. :cool: Just wondering, since you are the couple who want separate houses. I, on the other hand, am not so confident after reading about how people act in the tight confine of an RV or boat. Time will tell, I guess.

Probably is. I think that people who feel a little smothered already, or who have control issues or slightly combative interactions, might have a problem with RV's, boats, etc. Not to say that anyone here fits that description. :)

On the other hand, people who are kind and considerate to one another, who are intelligent, creative, and patient, and who do not fit the above descriptions, can probably manage to figure out their own happy resolutions to situations as they come up, or foresee and prevent them from coming up at all, pretty easily.

Last edited:
Can't speak for boats, but when it comes to an RV the idea is to be able to get to a location where you can get out and enjoy/sightsee/explore, not sit around inside the RV and irritate each other. :cool:

Good point! :2funny: But then, each to his own..... :angel:

On the other hand, people who are kind and considerate to one another, who are intelligent, creative, and patient, and who do not fit the above descriptions, can probably manage to figure out their own happy resolutions to situations as they come up, or foresee and prevent them from coming up at all, pretty easily.

Umm... Perhaps an RV with two beds would be a good preventive measure. Just a personal precaution... :cool:

Umm... Perhaps an RV with two beds would be a good preventive measure. Just a personal precaution... :cool:

Whether you choose to sleep in two beds or one seems pretty trivial. But hey, whatever floats your boat.... :) I think that probably you and your honey would need to talk about what you need. You know - - introspect, communicate. Listen. Be willing to go on your RV trip alone, or to begin with short RV trips to destinations you *both* like, for example.

But then, I can say that. Frank is one of the few men who truly loves browsing through antique shops! (Yes, I am SO lucky!).

Last edited:
Whether you choose to sleep in two beds or one seems pretty trivial. But hey, whatever floats your boat.... :)
Two beds or two separate houses... The more the merrier? :confused: :LOL:

Actually, I cannot remember the last time I slept in the guest bedroom. Not that it didn't happen in the past, but didn't I post that I have [-]aged[/-] mellowed more than my true age?

Back
Top Bottom