Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-01-2009, 09:21 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Does anyone have an opionion about O & STON?
STON is a dying business. Other than that I know little.

O has been hurt with the rest of REIT's by the concern of decline in property values and dropping rents on expirings rents leading to cuts in dividend. Historically has been well run but from what I have seen there will be plenty of cuts in the REITS, I'm going to wait a year or two myself to see who the smart REITS are after the fact and forgo capital gains here for certainty of dividend return.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2009, 11:42 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am less interested in capital gains than I am in dividend return.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:19 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

I own O and I agree with Running Man, a terrifically run company but. A fall in commercial real estate values seems likely and O will be hurt. They well maybe forced to cut their dividend although the M* Dividend guy thinks it is unlikely. But IMO it far from certain they can continue their history of increasing the dividend.

The CEO sounds optimistic, but than so was Immelt.
Quote:
Commenting on Realty Income’s financial results and real estate operations, Chief Executive Officer, Tom A. Lewis said, “We are pleased with our results given the current environment in the credit markets and overall economy. We are fortunate to be in a very liquid position with over $30 million in cash on hand today and no balance on our $355 million credit facility. The Company also has no mortgages on any of its 2,348 properties and no debt maturities for four years, or until 2013. Additionally, we have no properties under development, no joint ventures and no off balance sheet assets or liabilities of any kind. As such, we believe we are well positioned to manage the Company during these difficult times.”
“Our focus during the fourth quarter continued to be on strengthening our balance sheet, maintaining substantial liquidity and managing our portfolio to maximize current occupancy and ongoing cash flow. During the quarter, we retired the outstanding $100 million in 8.25% Senior Notes, NYSE ticker symbol OUI, that were due in November 2008. During the first quarter of 2009, we also repaid the $20 million in 8% Senior Notes that were due in January 2009. All of these notes were retired with cash on hand.”
Regarding STON, I am pissed that Running Man stole my pun. (The company is in the graveyard,funeral home business). I spent roughly 3 hours, at least two years ago looking at the business, I chose not to invest cause I didn't like the business model, but don't remember any other details.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:19 AM   #84

whatever happened to SCI? i remember back before the internet i found them and read the annuall report. before the big growth spurt and all the media problems
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #85

Quote:
I am less interested in capital gains than I am in dividend return.

I have been fortunate in that I have been looking for a REIT to meet my criterea to buy for over a year and have not yet invested in any. The best REIT at this point in my opinion is FRT. The dividend is very important to them as a means of measuring stock success. I thought their president was very straghtforward and understandable on his earnings call. If you'd like to get a general idea of what is happening to the REIT area and why it is so unsure listen to this: You would need to click on Web broadcast.

It will be available for about 2 more weeks, it is about an hour long, I thought the whole call was very interesting, but I am an accountant!

Event Details

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Old 03-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Running_Man, that was in interesting discussion. Forbes just published it's review of REITs, link: http://www.forbes.com/2009/02/25/reit-performance-grades-business_reits-list.html?partner=investing_newsletter

I am not a fan of getting dividends in shares and do think that leverage is a factor to consider.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:42 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

My Vanguard REIT index fund has fallen so far, I am just going to keep it and watch what happens. They yield is interesting, but they are probably giving me back my own money.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

i use ICF
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
STON is a dying business. Other than that I know little.
One thing for sure, none of us will get out of this world alive. And with the stock market crumbling, it may be sooner than later. STON may be the only company to benefit from the current economic situation.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #90

Quote:
Running_Man, that was in interesting discussion. Forbes just published it's review of REITs, link: http://www.forbes.com/2009/02/25/reit-performance-grades-business_reits-list.html?partner=investing_newsletter

I am not a fan of getting dividends in shares and do think that leverage is a factor to consider.

I surely agree that the lower the leverage the better the REIT and stock in lieu of dividend is useless. Only value is to allow to sell partial of company and keep round number of shares, which is just a number.

It was interesting to look at how the leverage had changed for companies from 2008 to 2009