Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-11-2024, 01:45 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifGal View Post
At that moment he did not feel like doing it. He had already gotten the bills out to verify those so it depends upon when I ask, how much he's had on his plate that day.
Ok, a one or two time thing is no big deal.
I thought it was an ongoing issue which would be a problem.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2024, 02:57 PM   #82
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Ok, a one or two time thing is no big deal.
I thought it was an ongoing issue which would be a problem.
I agree
CalifGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 10:01 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

I admire those who choose to cut it close in retirement. I just could not do that. I had the choice in 2012, but could not bring myself to take the chance. I chose to work another 6 years beyond that to have an extravagant (in our terms) retirement lifestyle.
Old 02-11-2024, 10:52 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I guess you need to use your financial skills to juggle your finances to make your budget fit. Maybe you can cut on "giving" if u need to really do so, if you have an emergency. Giving should be discretionary if your funds are not tight.
I had to work a few years more, as it did not want to cut it really close.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:12 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifGal View Post
Yes I just went back to my former job I had for a short time. My close friend works here managing the home for a lady w/dementia. They loose a lot of staff. Her behavior issues are worse than her dementia. To bed around 9-9:30pm, up around 8am. Lots of time off downstairs where we have a living room, covered deck, 3 bedrooms and two baths, tv and so far, very fast internet compared to this one.. Nice bed, not too bad of a job, hopefully, for the long run.
A staff wants time off. I told her I would cover her 48 hr shift starting tomorrow morning at 11am so she can get away to watch the Super Bowl. She's burnt out so we'll see how she feels when she comes back.
OK, great. Lots of folks work on call or part time in retirement. I did also for a few years. It's all about what you want to do with your time, and bringing in a few extra $ always helps. Many folks live frugally and have fulfilling, successful retirements.
Best Wishes to you. Enjoy life!
Old 02-12-2024, 10:18 AM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
I admire those who choose to cut it close in retirement. I just could not do that. I had the choice in 2012, but could not bring myself to take the chance. I chose to work another 6 years beyond that to have an extravagant (in our terms) retirement lifestyle.
Yeah, unless cutting it close actually includes a large expected discretionary spending budget that can be cut back easily and significantly if needed. But for bare bones spending, definitely not.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 01:30 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Is all your money mixed together ?

The not showing is a huge issue. To me it says: he doesn't trust you, or he has done some dumb stuff with money... If nothing is wrong showing the money shouldn't be a problem.

Once I read a story about a retired couple, one of them spent all the retirement money on something (doesn't matter what) over time, and the ~$250K they had in savings was gone over a few years...
The spouse only found out when the bank called

A President once said "Trust but verify." Words to live by.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 01:39 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post

I too admire folks who live "on the edge" so to speak. Making ER w*rk even though things are tight is admirable in my book.

I w*rked 7 years past what I called "Financial Independence." I could have made it w*rk for us, but the freedom of the extra income and stash gained during that time has really made it a lot easier to live without "fear" of running out of money. It also has made it easier to give more toward our favorite charities. My main motivation for continuing at w*rk was that I had finally created the "perfect j*b" (for me.) I wanted to stay while I was (finally) enjoying it. The day I no longer enjoyed it was the day I gave my notice. That is freedom in a nutshell. That's how I look at money - as a major element of freedom. BUT, I know many would disagree so YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote