Do any of you use any arts and crafts ideas to save money at Christmas time?

DH and I typically don't exchange gifts with each other for Christmas (although we do buy for others - neices/nephews primarily).

Instead, we have a "tradition" of going shopping together the weekend after Christmas when all of the sales are on. It's a fun way to spend the day together. We both actually dislike shopping, but on this one day a year, we really enjoy it.

I have been a "lurker" for we;;>1 yer but this thread forced me to register to reply.

I am NOT a crafty person. Would not know a glue gun if it bit me.......
However, I AM one H,,,,of a cook. I have and will continue to do food gifts for do-workers, friends & family. I also did 2 gift bags today for a friend Nov bday & Thanksgiving hostess gift (I WILL also be making a side dish). CVS PAID me to buy the bags. I filled both w/items I have gotten for FREE via CVS ECB, WAG RR/rebaes or online samples. ONLY DD2 has a clue how CHEAP I do this.

T Al.. I have to say those mallets are awesome looking!

It's so much better (and more fun) to personalize some photo, print it on the lower half of card stock paper, and cut it with a good trimmer so that you get a full bleed.
Full bleed must be jargon - sounds like something I've accidentally done to myself with a razor! But then I don't have a good trimmer....

For the last 20 years we have created a family calendar. We now produce 16 copies each Christmas. We collect pictures of all the family members, around 40 folks, and use them in the calendar. The calendar has all the birthdays and anniversaries for all 40 folks. It is a 13 month calendar, as we don't always get it out by the end of the year, and the last two pages have names, address, phone numbers, and emails for all in the family. These go to all extended family members. Our Kids and Grand kids still get other stuff.

Do any of you use any arts and crafts ideas to save money for Christmas gifts?

I have made cranberry muffins, chocolate chip cookies, pumpkin pies, banana bread, and granola for Christmas gifts for relatives in the U.S. One year, I gave some families small boxes of organic clementines--they liked them. I have not given any crafty home-made items because I equate doo-dads, figurines, ornaments, etc. with clutter (and waste).

However, I have learned to knit in the past year, so I am making scarves and hats for relatives and friends--and some of the kids will get books along with their hats.

Re: what ladelfina said, I also find that my richer relatives are not so appreciative of home-made (baked) gifts. Fortunately, I have just a few of them, so I just don't give them gifts anymore. They are rich so they won't miss them although it did seem disrespectful at first. I just send them a Christmas card.

For my family members abroad, I just send them $'s. This year, I am visiting Manila for Christmas, and $'s will be my gift to them. It's a lot less hassle than thinking and thinking and buying something that's not the right color, size, or not even the right thing.

It bugs me, too, when I get no thanks. It should be enough to have done my part--to reach out and think of relatives and give them tokens of my thinking of them--but I know who thanks me and who doesn't, although I am getting used to not getting thanks. However, I still want to know that the stuff came through for those few gifts that I mail out, so I wait a week or so and ask them if they got a package from me.

You can't get a Mom's home made nutbread for all of the money in the world.

Is it too early for a Merry Christmas?

Free to Canoe

I gota creative niece who is going to paint/make/graphic design all the gifts she will give this "holiday season". This kind of gift means much more to me than any of the store-bought kind.

Oh the HELL with it. "Holiday season" here is just PC for Christmas.

There, I've said it. Christmas, CHRISTMAS, C H R I S T M A S.

If that offends anyone, I have an expurgated word, in another post, that is what you are.

Parenthetically, I'm not even a tiny bit religious, so that part of the offensive Christmas means nothing to me.

If you're still offended, go ask the mods for some of the words extracted from posts. Consider them my gifts to you.

"And so, as Tiny Tim observed, God Bless Us, Every One!

Last edited by a moderator:
I started painting again this year and my friends liked my work. Some of them even requested them for their birthday/holiday gift, so I just might do it.

Here are a couple of pieces I did earlier this fall. Both done from photographs (one from my trip, one from a friend).

Attachments

• Painting-Yunnan.jpg
    Painting-Yunnan.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Painting-Antigua1-200.jpg
    Painting-Antigua1-200.jpg
    916.8 KB · Views: 2
tacky and cheap

I just assumed he was talking about himself. ;)

For years our extended family has been exchanging home made food and items. I especially like consumables since we already have too much [-]junk[/-] [-]crap[/-] stuff. But my SIL is an excellent knitter, so the sweaters and hats have been appreciated. I'm working on some chip carved coasters based on the pic below, but they won't be ready for this Christmas. I'm a slow carver, always having to pause for bandaids. :eek:

ccc1.jpg

Personally, I am far more appreciative of a home made gift than some cutesy-gifty junk from the mall. And I'd rather pick out my electronics myself. My DD has DGD (age 2.5) sticking cloves into oranges, and I'm going to be totally surprised and thrilled to receive it. Really. I love the way those things smell. I keep it in my car, and it quiets the road rage tendencies. They are fairly poor, and expecting them to give me (rich old dude) something I can't buy myself is the height of selfishness, IMHO. It truly is the thought that counts.

I especially like consumables since we already have too much [-]junk[/-] [-]crap[/-] stuff...

Personally, I am far more appreciative of a home made gift than some cutesy-gifty junk from the mall... It truly is the thought that counts.

I feel the same way but I think my relatives find it easier to go to the mall due to time constraints and habit.

Your carvings are beautiful, as are the paintings by GoodSense, and the mallets by T_Al.

It's been great looking at this thread and the Hobbies thread and find out how talented the folks in the ER Forum are.

Stunning items, making my Christmas cookies seem commonplace! I did make candles one year, in a fit of whimsy, and I've made grapevine wreathes as well. It has been 6 years since we last put up a Christmas tree in our house, just seems easier not to do it since we are often traveling during that time.
I would love to be able to carve, paint, or knit!

I "Holiday season" here is just PC for Christmas.

Well, not really. Don't forget Hanukkah. And depending on the year, Islamic holidays may fall in the same season, like the breaking of the fast at the end of Ramadan. And of course, do not forget that it is the time of the winter solstice. And Kwanzaa.

And as my birthday sometimes falls on the Winter Solstice, I would ask that it be celebrated widely and with lots of beer!

I started painting again this year and my friends liked my work. Some of them even requested them for their birthday/holiday gift, so I just might do it.

Here are a couple of pieces I did earlier this fall. Both done from photographs (one from my trip, one from a friend).

Great paintings ! I'd love to get something like that as a present.

Another simple gift I enjoy making and folks seem to appreciate is cheese balls. Not very frugal but not too costly, but oh so good. I can make a lot of them in a short amount of time and then pair them with good crackers (and some get a nice bottle of wine) in a tin or basket throw a bow on top and voila! A nice and tasty non-sweet treat from the kitchen.

If we ever have an E-R.org fundraiser, I will buy lots of raffle tickets for the items pictured in this thread. Or, how can I get on T-Al's Christmas list? Or at least your birthday card list?

I have a ton of yarn (it is just so beautiful in bundles on shelves in the yarn stores) and this year I am knitting scarves for the girls in the family (it's "pretty" yarn or I would knit them for the boys too). Since I already have the yarn I guess these would be "free" but on the other hand, it wasn't cheap to buy.

I would be happy to get all hand-made gifts (please send cheese ball, Connie, no tin required :) ), but if I were a youngster and thinking new iPod, I would be quite disappointed to receive a scarf from auntie bestwifeever instead of an iTunes gift card :)

Hmmm, I am thinking we need a Christmas food recipe addition to the Early Retirement cookbook. I need some of these recipes!

T-Al, are you busy right now? :)

In the past I have made home made soaps and also done stained glass for presents. Done right these haven't been especially cheap and have a learning curve, but I think have been appreciated more than some junky item from the mall.

Sarah, I think we need a Christmas food STORE here on ER.org!!! And overnight delivery :)

Hmmm, I am thinking we need a Christmas food recipe addition to the Early Retirement cookbook. I need some of these recipes!

T-Al, are you busy right now? :)

Speaking of which, I was reading that old thread a little while ago and tried to download the cookbook and it wasn't there! Is there a broken link? Or was it a limited time offer?

I've started a thread for Christmas Present Food Recipes, but I hope someone else will do the compiling (if that's necessary).

I reuploaded the ER Forum Cookbook. Where is the link that you were using, Harley?

In any case, this link will take you there.

Fruitcake recipe:

1lb dried fruit
1 bag cement
water to make a slurry

Bake until impervious...

I think H.F.W.R. if I eat that.

Back
Top Bottom