Join Early Retirement Today

Do credit unions cancel credit cards because of inactivity?
Old 12-21-2008, 08:22 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #2

Actually, yes, sort of. A small CU in Florida at which I have several CD's and a very active checking account (mostly electronic ACH type payments made into and out of it - very few "paper" checks), "failed to renew" one. The sent me a letter and said since I had not used the VISA card for a "long time" they would not be renewing it. If I needed it in the future I could reapply. It was about 2 years ago that they did it, so it was not connected to the current financial situation.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #3

How long had it been since you used it?
Old 12-21-2008, 01:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
How long had it been since you used it?
Probably 18 to 24 months!
Old 12-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes,

There are a number of reasons. Usually they will just not reissue. Why would they if you're not using it.

Also, there is a lot of fraud going around right now. If there is a dormant card, it's better to close it.
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:27 PM   #6

does it hurt credit scores to close'm?

i've two i never use & just one i use all the time. of the two i don't use, one is my old credit union and one i originally got through my local bank but then that card somehow went from a generic carrier to a bank i don't use so that i could no longer electronically pay the balance each month from my own checking account.

thus the third card from my bank which i use frequently for points but pay the balance to zero each month. there's not a lot of credit on the other two, i think $15k/each. should i just cancel them? or should i use them every so often to keep them active?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I just ran across this article on closing CC accounts and credit scores:

“My credit card was canceled!” - Money Helps
Old 12-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #8

thanx rew, sounds like i should use them. what a pain. does this mean i have to buy stamps and write checks? (just, um, checked: i've written all of 16 checks since 2005.)

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:49 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
does this mean i have to buy stamps and write checks? (just, um, checked: i've written all of 16 checks since 2005.)
No, if you have e-bill paying through your bank, you can pay your CC bills online like the rest of us techies...
Old 12-21-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

All the articles say closing an account can hurt your score but nobody says it will hurt your score or by how much. For example is a 5-point drop even worth worrying about? If you have good scores to begin with, the effect is probably minimal. I closed my oldest card, which everybody else says is a no-no, but I still had good scores after that. Most of the rate decisions are done in brackets. As long as your score is above a cutoff score for the best rate, say 700, you don't get any better rate if your score is 790 versus 730. Google "oldest credit card" if you are interested in my experience.
thefinancebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
Probably 18 to 24 months!
Thanks, I think alot of them close at 24 months from what I have heard about banks. I guess it is the same for credit unions.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:21 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
thanx rew, sounds like i should use them. what a pain. does this mean i have to buy stamps and write checks? (just, um, checked: i've written all of 16 checks since 2005.)
I have two accounts at small CU's that I hardly ever use anymore. They both offer free billpay, option to xfer payment from a CU savings account automatically or by phone for free. You can also call and authorize payment from another institution checking account, but the started charging $3 for that service. I have them setup on BofA Online Banking.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote