Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Do/Did you receive a bonus?
Old 05-16-2007, 04:14 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

my yearly bonus is i get to keep my job.
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2007, 07:13 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

DW got a small bonus each December; mostly in company stock...big whop!

I got a bonus each March that ranged from 5% to 10% depending on how crappy well the company did in the last year along with how well I did on my incentive goals (which were handed down to me for the most part).

The bonuses were mostly used for a nice trip somewhere and what was left over went into Vanguard or the bank.

My prior employer had a 5% bonus...not exactly a FIRE tool but it did help pay from Christmas.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:00 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Last year 20k. I joined the company in the middle of the year. After tax 11k, all sent to IRS directly.
semtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:27 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I typically get a cash bonus equal to 1-2% of salary. Also get a profit sharing contribution and 401k match equal to 25% of base salary. Yes - the 401k match (4-6%) and profit share match (~20%) definitely boost the annual savings rate by a lot and reduce time to FIRE.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:19 AM   #25

Quote:
Come on Wildcat, is there another reason people work in finance?
I was thinking the same thing about operations. Hit 'X' numbers and you will receive 'X' in return. If you don't come through it is "no soup for you!"

Old 05-16-2007, 11:55 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

My bonus this year, in lieu of a raise, will be $1,000, less than $700 after taxes. Not effect on FIRE that's for sure

I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Last year was the first I'd gotten a "real" bonus in my working years. I got 7% of my salary, which was a nice sum. I put it straight into the portfolio. However, I left the company several months ago, and my new company has no bonus. However, there will probably a profit sharing plan put into place sometime next year which might equate to a modest bonus.
NinjaPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:23 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51
That never stopped many of my former colleagues. They borrowed the anticipated bonus throughout the year. :
Yes, that is the norm.

My old boss retired at 45 and people who made more than he did over a longer period of time were stunned. "How can he afford to do that?!??"

"Well, for starter he doesn't have a boat, two houses and three ex-wives."
Old 05-18-2007, 10:52 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

um...sorta?

We get this lump sum at the end of the year, which is a percentage of our pay, 2-3%, I think. BUT, it gets deposited into our retirement accounts (if we don't actively manage, then it goes into a money market).

The total CRAP thing about it is that the thing doesn't start to vest until you've been with the company for 2 years (and that just changed, before this year, it took 3 years to start to vest). @ 2 years, you get 20%, 3 years: 40%, 4 years: 60% & so on. I think it's somewhat idiotic myself. I'd like to know what they do with all the money that people don't end up getting (most people move on after 2-4 years).

part of what irritates me is how they totally talk it up, like it's this amazing thing. it's a way for them to get out of GIVING us a real year-end bonus (the way almost all companies in my industry do), & to get get a lot of the money back that they supposedly "give" because of job turnaround.
Celany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:37 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Bonus??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:24 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

"I got a rock."

A gold star to anyone who remembers where this quote came from.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:56 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Charlie Brown, when trick or treating.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:10 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

You win!

(love that quote)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg gold_star.jpg (3.3 KB, 115 views)
Old 05-23-2007, 10:21 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Profit sharing usually runs about 20% of overall comp, and bonuses in the form of stock options have doubled annual income for a few years now.

Yes, a huge factor in FIRE (although I haven't yet)...
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:08 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
We get this lump sum at the end of the year, which is a percentage of our pay, 2-3%, I think. BUT, it gets deposited into our retirement accounts (if we don't actively manage, then it goes into a money market).

The total CRAP thing about it is that the thing doesn't start to vest until you've been with the company for 2 years (and that just changed, before this year, it took 3 years to start to vest). @ 2 years, you get 20%, 3 years: 40%, 4 years: 60% & so on. I think it's somewhat idiotic myself. I'd like to know what they do with all the money that people don't end up getting (most people move on after 2-4 years).

part of what irritates me is how they totally talk it up, like it's this amazing thing. it's a way for them to get out of GIVING us a real year-end bonus (the way almost all companies in my industry do), & to get get a lot of the money back that they supposedly "give" because of job turnaround.
Wow. The way people feel about their bonuses is really sobering for an employer like me. For instance, the bonus above was probably thoughfully structured in an attempt to retain good employees, but in this instance it looks like it just made Celany mad instead.

Actually, it doesn't look like many of the bonuses described are retaining anyone very well, as everyone seems to be looking to quit ASAP or change jobs.

My company offers a matching 401K (100% of the first 3% and vested over a period of years), and I have found that it has done very little to help retain people. We also do a small year end bonus, but it's more of Christmas bonus (fairly small).

The best retention tool I have found is just pay them a good wage, and probably almost as important, frequently talk and pay attention to them so they don't feel used/abused.
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:16 PM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

Yes, I recieve one and that is the reason I am still here. Last year we went to Italy, next month we go to Eastern Europe. If I can make it to next year, Ireland. Why else would anyone work? Oh, yeah, food, forgot about that.

Charlie
Zenfolio | Travels with Charlie
Charlie_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:02 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
Wow. The way people feel about their bonuses is really sobering for an employer like me. For instance, the bonus above was probably thoughfully structured in an attempt to retain good employees, but in this instance it looks like it just made Celany mad instead.

Actually, it doesn't look like many of the bonuses described are retaining anyone very well, as everyone seems to be looking to quit ASAP or change jobs.

My company offers a matching 401K (100% of the first 3% and vested over a period of years), and I have found that it has done very little to help retain people. We also do a small year end bonus, but it's more of Christmas bonus (fairly small).

The best retention tool I have found is just pay them a good wage, and probably almost as important, frequently talk and pay attention to them so they don't feel used/abused.

Well, first off is that if you get a 'bonus' and then they hang onto it to 'keep you there'... then it is NOT a bonus, but deferred pay.. now, if they gave you stock and it actually rose some (options also), then you do have a chance to make some money... but if you get so small of an amount like we got a few year back (75 shares option)... then it is to small to matter..

As for your 401(k), 3 percent is puny... there is nobody I know of who would stay just for that... heck I get 5% and I think that is small...

But you are right... pay a good wage and treat them well (and give them something productive to do!!!)... you got them..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:33 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
Wow. The way people feel about their bonuses is really sobering for an employer like me.
You forget, many of us are very cynical and jaded towards our employers nowadays. Many people here seem to be in the IT industry where we have dealt with outsourcing, rolling layoffs, assinine bosses with crazy deadlines, etc.

This is not the 50s anymore, where you were employed for life and then retired with a comfortable pension. We find it very hard to trust our employers from past experiences. Generally, it is a race to the bottom and your only way to beat the curve is to job-hop.
Olav23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:37 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
As for your 401(k), 3 percent is puny... there is nobody I know of who would stay just for that... heck I get 5% and I think that is small...

I'd kill to get a 3% match in my 401(k)
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:53 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
I'd kill to get a 3% match in my 401(k)
You are making me feel very happy with my 5% match in my TSP (401K)!

Federal employment may not always produce the highest of all possible salaries, but we do have great benefits.

What keeps me at my job? A good working environment, liveable wage, and rock solid and realistic retirement plan. My cash award was not huge, but I feel more appreciated due to it and that adds to the good working environment. It wouldn't matter at all if my working environment was bad to begin with, but it's not.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote