Do ER Member Have all their "Eggs" in One Basket?

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Do you consolidate all you Nest Egg in fidelity, Vanguard, TD, Schwab or wherever or do you split it up all over the place?

My taxable accounts are at Vanguard.

But my TSP is not; it is still at the TSP.

Then I also have income streams from SS and from a mini-pension.

Edited to add: Good catch, REWahoo. Yes, those other threads will provide some useful information to the OP.

I am, unfortunately, all over the place: Ameritrade, Metlife, Edward jones, BofA, Goldman Sachs, Health Equity (HSAs). I keep track of everything using Morningstar's Portfolio.
Fortunately, I am not drawing any of it down (yet). My pension and my wife's salary pay the bills (so far).

Last edited:
I have 2 banks and 3 brokers.

More than 20 accounts, not including banking, at 10 different institutions. His/her, IRAs, 401k, Roth, brokerage, HSA. It multiplies up.

I use Quicken to download and provide a summary.

Last edited:
About half my portfolio is with Vanguard and half at my 401(k), with a few bits and bobs at the bank/credit union, HSA, DW's 401(k) and Treasury Direct. The bits and bobs add up to <5% of my portfolio.

I worked in the financial industry, much of what I did was DR, not exercise, but when the stuff hit the fan. Been in a few, of the few data centers, that do those processes.

I use two different companies(two of the big three) in geographically different data centers. If you go wide, like many funds with different sounding locations. It's very possible to buy from 100 different fund companies, only to find their system of record is in the same data center.

20 or so different accounts at maybe a dozen or so different banks/Vanguard/KMS. Ten different loans or sales contracts being paid on through two different escrow companies. Five different rental buildings with 37 different tenants paying rent.

Before I ERed nearly 10 years ago, I had just under half my money with my employer's 401k administrator, just under half with Fido, and small amounts with Dreyfus and my local bank. When I ERed, the 401k money all went to Fido via a new Rollover IRA, so they have about 97% of my holdings now.

IRA & taxable at one place,
Another IRA at another,
and have an annuity, a single issue stock, and a checking acct.

More than 20 accounts, not including banking, at 10 different institutions. His/her, IRAs, 401k, Roth, brokerage, HSA. It multiplies up.

Do you need 20? Good to consolidate same types of accounts for investing scale and administrative ease.

We have tIRAs, roths, rollover IRA and taxable at Etrade. 6 accounts.

Plus co 401k at Schwab. Cash at Capital one. HSA at HSA Bank. One brick and mortar bank for checking.

All investments (including 401k) at Vanguard.

Two online banks for savings accounts.

Different back for checking.

Currently have 80% at Vanguard, 15% at Merrill Lynch(trust dept) and 5% at my local bank. I may open a Fidelity Account when the trust pays out in 2019 since I like their website and they have low cost index funds.

We have ours in 5 different institutions which that includes one bank.

Roughly even split between VG, Fido, TDA, and Etrade. I'll be moving ETrade to Fido soon to consolidate. Also local banking with one of the big national firms. Don't need it with Fido, but DW likes the local access.

Please consider consolidating. While we expect and hope you will be around for a long, long time, this many accounts can be a real exercise for your loved ones. It seems every bank, every institution has its own requirements when it comes to settling an estate, and they make you jump through their hoops. My FIL had accounts at numerous banks, and DW and I spent a lot of time getting everything settled.

Two or three, plus maybe a local place for banking should be plenty.

-ERD50

All investment accounts (3 IRAs) are at Vanguard. We have CDs with Penfed, a local bank and an online savings account. Also 2 HSA's.

I've set it up at Vanguard so that I can see the whole picture there. I have to update the non-Vanguard stuff on the Vanguard page but it's easy and I just do it monthly.

80% held at Fido & VG. The rest is split between Ally Bank, local BM bank, HSA ,RMSA , 529's etc.

Other than reducing the number of online banks to one, I haven't considered any further consolidation.

I have 3/4 at Fidelity, and the rest at my 401K.

90% at Fidelity. The rest spread out over various high yield savings and credit union CD accounts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom