Join Early Retirement Today

Do I consolidate????
Old 02-02-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Do I consolidate????

I have some of our $$ in Fidelity Freedom 2020, 2025 and 2030 funds. All together it adds up to about 13% of our total investments. They all seem to be performing about the same. Should I consolidate them over time into one fund?

I am 18 months, approx, from pulling the plug. Overall AA is 65/30/5 on our investments.

Tom
tominboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Do I consolidate????
Old 02-02-2019, 04:17 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do I consolidate????

I don’t see the point in having three different target retirement date funds. Assuming they are all tax-deferred, why not roll two into the fund that most closely matches your desired AA?
Old 02-02-2019, 04:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
I don’t see the point in having three different target retirement date funds. Assuming they are all tax-deferred, why not roll two into the fund that most closely matches your desired AA?

2030 has an expense ratio of 0.7%. 2020 is 0.61%. These are both quite high for a target date fund. Why not buy several index funds with lower ERs and save yourself some fees while being able to create your own AA? I sold my target date funds when I realized I could recreate them with VG fund with ERs of 0.01 to 0.05%.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:57 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would not consider Fidelity for managed funds of any kind. I used to think fairly highly of the company, but then I read this: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-funds-fidelity-retirement-special-rep/special-report-fidelity-puts-6-million-savers-on-risky-path-to-retirement-idUSKBN1GH1SI "Fidelity puts 6 million savers on risky path to retirement"
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:50 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

It makes sense to consolidate into one target date fund. The Fidelity Freedom Index 2025 Fund may be a good choice, with an expense ratio of 0.18% with the symbol FQIFX

Al18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominboise View Post
I have some of our $$ in Fidelity Freedom 2020, 2025 and 2030 funds. All together it adds up to about 13% of our total investments. They all seem to be performing about the same. Should I consolidate them over time into one fund?

I am 18 months, approx, from pulling the plug. Overall AA is 65/30/5 on our investments.
I'll bite. Why do you have target date funds. The whole idea of a target date fund is that you let it run and it will shift your allocation to more bonds as you age. But you have most of the allocation controlled by the size of the rest of the portfolio.

Figure out what asset allocation you want over all. Sell the target dates and just deploy the money in the rest of your portfolio. You're wasting the fees on the target date funds as you aren't using them appropriately.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:52 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

All good advice. The targeted year funds were chosen at the time because it was easy to do. So I am taking the steps to consolidate and move these funds into index funds with lower costs and in line with my AA.

Thanks to all who replied.

Tom
tominboise is offline   Reply With Quote