Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Mountain View Post

My annual expenses are LESS than this.............thankfully.
I can't tell what "this" is, but I guess it might be the $34K or $37K mentioned later.

You need a realistic budget going forward, including health insurance, car replacement, house maintenance, vacations, etc. I agree with others about tracking expenses. I came up with a budget, then found that many items were "best case", and I really needed to put some buffer in for bad things happening. At some point you're going to need a new/used car, roof, fridge, furnace, etc. You also want to think about whether having another 40+ hours on your hands is going to result in a money-sucking hobby.

In any case you are either there or can see where "there" is, congrats.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Agree with previous posts in that if you have health care covered somehow it would apear that you nestegg would support your lifestyle with little risk of living beyond your money. If not, then you need to consider what health care costs would be.

However, if the finances are to close for comfort for you, perhaps you could consider part-time w*&k doing something you really enjoy.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:17 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Something else to consider in your long term planning - Will you have a pension from your employment ? Any Social Security benefits ?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:19 AM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
I just had my annual portfolio check-up with a Vanguard Flagship Financial Advisor.

Currently, I have roughly 1,032,000.00 million investable assets. (all with Vanguard) (70/30 stocks to bonds)
I say go for it!.... only if you indeed have 1,000 million!

If not, I agree with most that are saying you should probably work for several more years provided your job is not too toxic.

You have time on your side which can be both a friend or enemy. I believe we are entering into a period of high inflation which could erode your $1 million quite quickly if you do not protect it well.
melion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:48 AM   #25

I agree with those who say that you need a realistic budget. As a house owner, factor in future maintenance expenditures such as painting, new roof, etc.

It's difficult, if not impossible, for anyone here to say whether you are ready when we don't know what kind of lifestyle you envisage. I know that I could definitely retire with a million in investments, but I am a renter with low rent, no car, and few needs.

If you can give us an idea of your lifestyle and budget, then our answers can be a little more informed.

How about dipping your toes in the water and drawing some income from your investments, and some from part-time work?
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:24 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I should be around the same number (1 mil) as the OP by 43... the difference being my DW wants to continue working until around 50. So we will have the proceeds from our nest egg + her salary for several more years.

I am so blessed I am not alone in the ER quest... I wouldn't even be thinking about FIRE if I were a single entity.
Sea Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

WOW! Thanks everyone for such quick and insightful replies!

OK, a little more about me:

1. Yes, healthcare costs will be an issue.

2. Eventually, I will sell home and move into a condominium which should reduce expenses/taxes, etc... Yeah, I know association fees will be there, but overall I think I will save a few bucks and have less headaches to deal with.

3. No pension of ANY kind will be there. Not counting on SS, either.

4. I currently have roughly $650,000 in taxable accounts and roughly $350,000 in tax deferred accounts. ($200K is in ROTH & $150K in in Traditional.)

5. My lifestyle is quite simple. I exercise early every morning at my local gym and work after-wards. I enjoy watching sports on tv, not in person, unless it's high school football or basketball. Always loved the high school kids during playoff time!!! VERY EXCITING! Matter of fact, just last night, saw the #1 & #2 hoop teams in the country battle it out for the #1 ranking in America. Game was played at Rutger's University. (The RAC)

6. Here's a potential money issue, I LOVE my 2 nephews and 3 nieces. Naturally, if there ever were a money problem, I would POSSIBLY help out. (depending on the circumstances) I'm not a sucker...........I think. Don't worry, college costs are on them. Heck, they were on me!

7. As far as work goes, I REALLY would like to try something new, if possible. I am tired of the white collar scene. Have been in sales my entire career and am sick of kissing butt to folks who sometimes I can't stand!!!

8. Not a big vacationer as I traveled much during my working years on someone else's dime.........

9. I live in Southern NJ............TAXES! I KNOW!

10. Finally, My TOTAL expenses for last year were 28K.

Just wanna say, I still find it heartwarming that folks are willing to offer their sincere opinions/advice to total strangers such as me on a forum like this. It means more than you know.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Space Mountain
Space Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:36 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Hello Space Mountain,
I'm curious about what assumptions you made about social security. Social security sends little statements once a year that give you an estimate of how much money you can get from them if you retire when you are 62, 66, 70, etc. However, these estimates assume that you will continue to work until those ages. If you want a realistic estimate of social security for quitting now, you can go to the The United States Social Security Administration website and find their estimator there. Change your salary to $1 and then see what the numbers are at those ages. They will be a lot lower than what you may be assuming.
OrcasIslandBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #29

Spacemountain: I would second Koolau post. Do you dislike your job? If so give retirement a try. It doesn't sound like you have a well developed plan as to how you will occupy the next 40-50 years of your life. Does your current job pay well? Are you sure you couldn't put to good use a few more bucks? Congrats on what you have accomplished so far. Way ahead of where I was.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:10 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Spacemountain: I would second Koolau post. Do you dislike your job? If so give retirement a try. It doesn't sound like you have a well developed plan as to how you will occupy the next 40-50 years of your life. Does your current job pay well? Are you sure you couldn't put to good use a few more bucks? Congrats on what you have accomplished so far. Way ahead of where I was.

Danmar- I recently started donating some extra time to my church in terms of assisting senior citizens with rides to doctors, etc... Also, looking into more church endeavors. Thanks.
Space Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #31

Quote:
Danmar- I recently started donating some extra time to my church in terms of assisting senior citizens with rides to doctors, etc... Also, looking into more church endeavors. Thanks.
Good luck on whatever you do.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwitte View Post
Hello Space Mountain,
I'm curious about what assumptions you made about social security. Social security sends little statements once a year that give you an estimate of how much money you can get from them if you retire when you are 62, 66, 70, etc. However, these estimates assume that you will continue to work until those ages. If you want a realistic estimate of social security for quitting now, you can go to the The United States Social Security Administration website and find their estimator there. Change your salary to $1 and then see what the numbers are at those ages. They will be a lot lower than what you may be assuming.
Why put in $1 on the SS estimator? Just put in zeros.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi,

Just a thought that I don't think has been mentioned and would make a huge difference to your drawdowns... Have a great, long vacation and come back to a part-time job that is satisfying: build stuff, help people, coach kids sports team, tutor, wotever floats your boat. There are plenty of jobs that don't require kissing butt.... especially if you don't NEED the job :-)

I have always enjoyed my work and semi-retirement has given me huge amounts of time flexibility as a bonus!
SVHoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHoper View Post
Hi,

Just a thought that I don't think has been mentioned and would make a huge difference to your drawdowns... Have a great, long vacation and come back to a part-time job that is satisfying: build stuff, help people, coach kids sports team, tutor, wotever floats your boat. There are plenty of jobs that don't require kissing butt.... especially if you don't NEED the job :-)

I have always enjoyed my work and semi-retirement has given me huge amounts of time flexibility as a bonus!
I think the whole idea of not having to work full-time and maximize your income is great - actually being able to look for something you like, with little or no regard to how much it pays (and not having to do it 8 hours a day, 5 days a week).

Major Tom - who is looking at beginning ESR in the next couple of months.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:30 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

$ 1.5 Mil under 50 plus get rid of house and get out of N.J.
I guess that would mean work a few more years and get 1.3 mil invested and sale house.
Remember you will have to pay taxes on gains/dividends which will require drawing out of taxable account. You really don't want to start any draw down until at least 55 if not 60...... Think about it. You most likely will not have gains every year for next 12 years. 3 or 4 steps forward and one back.
wcv56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:58 AM   #36
Confused about dryer sheets

My advice regarding healthcare, don't depend on the Government providing this. Obamacare is not something that this country can afford in its current form, so plan on less and NOT more help especially at your young age. I recommend to my pre-retirees that they actually do a 1-2 year trial period with their projected living expenses BEFORE they actually quit their jobs and retire. Better safe than sorry. I'd say half of these folks find that they've underestimated the cost of their retirement lifestyle.

Best of Luck!
RetirewithPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetirewithPhil View Post
My advice regarding healthcare, don't depend on the Government providing this. Obamacare is not something that this country can afford in its current form, so plan on less and NOT more help especially at your young age. I recommend to my pre-retirees that they actually do a 1-2 year trial period with their projected living expenses BEFORE they actually quit their jobs and retire. Better safe than sorry. I'd say half of these folks find that they've underestimated the cost of their retirement lifestyle.

Best of Luck!

Troll Alert!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #38

Hi there.

I'm in the exact shape as you actually, i felt like i was reading my own situation in reading thru where you are. I've done this by Living below my means and working hard (multiple jobs etc..).. I do live in PA, not NJ myself (so taxes aren't so bad). I've about $1M and the same amounts as you in 401k/iras and taxable investments (400/600). I'm also about 43. I do have a pension as well of $20k/yr at 65, but not adjusted for cost of living.. I've nephews/neices as well, i've already paid for their Bachelors degrees thru buying tuition in advance, as my siblings were unable to save for them and i want the best for them.. no kids of my own, but if i ever got married/had children and was retired i'd revisit the thoughts of returning to work.

I've been having the same thoughts as you about retireing, but have decided to hold off until i've 1.5M or so, and each year i work the pension will be more (if my company is still paying it.)...I figure i can get to there in the next 2-4 years. I'm a bit worried about my portfolio distribution though. As i think i'm to much in stocks and not enough into bonds, i need to research this some.. You might also look at SS and see if you have worked the minimum of time to qualify (there is a minimum amount of time you need to work to qualify).

The reason i'm working longer is due to the medical cost worries in retirement, a $500k buffer above $1M will take care of that it i hope. My grandparents lived until they were in their late 80's so i need to plan for living long... Also, i've decided that $37k/yr isn't what i'd like to retire on and i'd want $60k/yr or so, because i'd like to travel and see the world some before i settle down in a place somewhere in the world that i have yet to discover.
Readysoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:56 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readysoon View Post
Hi there.

I'm in the exact shape as you actually, i felt like i was reading my own situation in reading thru where you are. I've done this by Living below my means and working hard (multiple jobs etc..).. I do live in PA, not NJ myself (so taxes aren't so bad). I've about $1M and the same amounts as you in 401k/iras and taxable investments (400/600). I'm also about 43. I do have a pension as well of $20k/yr at 65, but not adjusted for cost of living.. I've nephews/neices as well, i've already paid for their Bachelors degrees thru buying tuition in advance, as my siblings were unable to save for them and i want the best for them.. no kids of my own, but if i ever got married/had children and was retired i'd revisit the thoughts of returning to work.

I've been having the same thoughts as you about retireing, but have decided to hold off until i've 1.5M or so, and each year i work the pension will be more (if my company is still paying it.)...I figure i can get to there in the next 2-4 years. I'm a bit worried about my portfolio distribution though. As i think i'm to much in stocks and not enough into bonds, i need to research this some.. You might also look at SS and see if you have worked the minimum of time to qualify (there is a minimum amount of time you need to work to qualify).

The reason i'm working longer is due to the medical cost worries in retirement, a $500k buffer above $1M will take care of that it i hope. My grandparents lived until they were in their late 80's so i need to plan for living long... Also, i've decided that $37k/yr isn't what i'd like to retire on and i'd want $60k/yr or so, because i'd like to travel and see the world some before i settle down in a place somewhere in the world that i have yet to discover.
>>> Generating income during your retirement years is likely to get more challenging in the years ahead. I suggest you AVOID purchasing bond funds in favor of buying high quality bonds outright and plan on holding these until maturity. You can more predictibly plan on achieving your goals by relying on Yield to Maturity (YTM) calculations for each of your bond investments. If interest rates trend higher in the future, bond funds and individual bonds will decline in value, but if you hold the individual bonds to maturity, you can reasonably assume/plan you will receive the face value of the bond at the date of maturity. Bond funds do not have this advantage. Lastly, when purchasing individual bonds you should scale into positions and build a bond ladder (bonds with different maturity dates), so that as bonds mature you can reinvest in bonds with higher and higher coupon (and resulting YTM), assuming interest rates trend higher in future years.

>>> Your assumption of only tapping into 4% of your investible assets is spot-on! Keep on saving and investing, you're on the road toward achieving your goal!
RetirewithPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #40

If it was me I would move some of it out of vanguard, putting all my moneys into one place would scare me no matter how big and safe they may seem.

I went into semi-retirement younger and with less money, but I probably have a more frugal lifestyle than most people. So my answer is yes, you have enough.

It doesn't have to be a permanent decision, you can always go back to work if you're bored or need money.
niknah is offline   Reply With Quote