Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-25-2021, 06:59 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just tell the guy the next time he talks to you we're done, I'm closing my accounts here. Can you assist me with a cashiers check?
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2021, 07:39 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Ignore the guy, as changing banks is a pain.

Interestingly, I'm not surprised we don't have more complaints about bankers selling stuff. Last year, I was looking for an transition job to retirement, and thought the traditional Teller job would be just right. Inside, sitting, helping people, nice environment, etc. When I applied online for several of these positions, I had to take a "questionnaire" which basically assessed my sales acumen. I wanted to help people, not sell people stuff. I apparently failed the test, as I never got an interview. ...So sadly, I think they expect everyone to sell these days, even the tellers!

So, again, ignore that bonehead.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:48 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyfrizzell1963 View Post
Interestingly, I'm not surprised we don't have more complaints about bankers selling stuff. Last year, I was looking for an transition job to retirement, and thought the traditional Teller job would be just right. Inside, sitting, helping people, nice environment, etc. When I applied online for several of these positions, I had to take a "questionnaire" which basically assessed my sales acumen. I wanted to help people, not sell people stuff. I apparently failed the test, as I never got an interview. ...So sadly, I think they expect everyone to sell these days, even the tellers!
This is absolutely true. I had a patient who quit her teller job because of this. Not only are they expected to sell but they are under tremendous pressure to meet their quotas.

Just another reason to do your banking online and avoid dealing with humans as much as possible.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:04 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I’ve been trying to convince my 82 yr old cousin to use a Mobil phone app to deposit paper checks she receives from time to time. No luck. It’s a hundred miles to drive her to the credit union instead. Last time we went she told me about driving her favorite aunt ( my DGM) to the bank many many years ago. She pulled into the drive up teller but DGM put up a fuss. “NO! I have to go into the bank. I need to see where my money is going!” DGM was a young adult during the Great Depression and probably still didn’t trust banks anyway.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:36 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
This is absolutely true. I had a patient who quit her teller job because of this. Not only are they expected to sell but they are under tremendous pressure to meet their quotas.
Sigh, this seems to be the reality of a lot of perceived "easy", low stress jobs. That's why it's better to not rely on a part-time gig post retirement.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:04 AM   #26

I would be likely to talk to the manager, he/she would get important information/feedback that the employee is trying, I don't want the pitch and maybe corporate will get the feedback. Worst case, move the account but I would probably not do that, so many corporate policies I don't like all over the place.
Do I need to switch banks?
Old 03-26-2021, 06:03 AM   #27

Do I need to switch banks?

The worst place for investment vehicle advising are banks. Considering the pressure and insult, yes I would definitely pull all my funds from the bank. It’s a matter of principle. And let another bank employee know why. It’s not as much trouble as some say.
Old 03-26-2021, 06:56 AM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

I’d switch banks. It’s not my job to tell the manager how to manage their staff, and I don’t need a disgruntled branch employee with access to my financial information.

I’d move, and let them know while closing my account that the sales staff was overly aggressive and made me uncomfortable banking at their institution.
idledancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 07:21 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

No reason to ever go in a bank branch. Banks like Schwab Bank give you no minimum balance and no fees, free atm withdrawals anywhere, no currency conversion cost, free checks and free online bill pay. Deposit checks via mobile app or deposit to your brokerage account at a branch. Oh and no pushy annuity sales either.
Ncc1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:10 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Moving banks is a real pain in the @$$. So unless you have a compelling reason do so outside of having to deal with this one human being, don’t. You have two options IMO: a) disengage and ignore the guy or if he won’t leave you alone make it very clear he NEEDS to leave you alone b) quit going to the bank. The only reason I ever go to my bank is to get a cashiers check for home purchases.
ATXFIRE2034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:27 AM   #31

I think there's different takes on how much work it is to switch banks.

For our one bank, EVERYTHING is tied to the checking account (tax returns/stimulus, mortgage payment, automatic utility and tax payments, various credit card payments, etc.).

It would be a big PITA. Plus, having to buy new checks.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:29 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

People still write checks
ATXFIRE2034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:48 AM   #33

I wrote one check last year for nostalgia sake. Paper checks are the new stagecoaches.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:50 AM   #34

Changing banks is a pain. I actually switched banks during my divorce then switched again a few years later. The second switch only lasted 3 months as the new bank bounced one of my checks to DD school team despite having thousands more than the check in the account. No one on the team told me or mentioned it I figured it out when reviewing my account. I was beyond embarrassed. When I asked the team treasurer why she didn’t let me know she just replied it happens and they would never force a parent to pay what they couldn’t afford.

I wasn’t very nice at the bank that day. So I switched back to my current bank and other than this one incident I have been pretty happy.

I guess trying to be nice and allowing them a second chance is my fault. I really was focused on my upcoming CD’s only ,not giving them all my money.

I did convince DH to start paying our bills on line but he so far refuses to download the app on his phone. Mr Security as I call him isn’t interested in apps or even the atm although he has used the atm.

We have been pretty glued at the hip since our retirement in November I’ll just decline or wait in the car the next time he wants to go.
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:51 AM   #35

Could someone please enlighten me on why it would be such a big PIA to change banks ?

Full disclosure, I haven't been inside a brick and mortar bank for years as everything is basically done on line.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:52 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXFIRE2034 View Post
No but their banks do when they pay an individual via online banking!
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:21 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Could someone please enlighten me on why it would be such a big PIA to change banks ?

Full disclosure, I haven't been inside a brick and mortar bank for years as everything is basically done on line.
I haven't personally written a check in a couple of years. I have everything set up automatically withdrawn from my bank. I also don't receive bills in the mail, unless I'm late or there's another issue. The last time I changed banks I thought I had everything changed over, then I get a late notice from this location, then the next location, and then I have to go and make the change, and it really was a giant pain that lasted a few months until everything got straightened out. In the grand scheme of things, I guess it's not a giant deal, but I sure do hate changing banks. And I came dangerously close to having a 30 day late notice on one particular bill that emailed me rather than mailed me the late notice, and I completely missed it. Fortunately I did get it squared away before it impacted my credit, but still...
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:27 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I write a check to pay my property tax. Otherwise, I have to fork over an extra fee. I don't mind Blowing the Dough, but I do mind wasting money. I refuse to give anybody the right to go into my bank account and take money out of it purely on their word that I owe it to them.

I also received several checks from my auto insurance company to compensate for all the driving risk I was not taking thanks to Covid. And, my so-called stimulus payment will be a check that will me mailed to me. Why not deposit it into my account like the previous ones? I have no idea.

So, yes, there are times when I can truly say "The check is in the mail."

Note: I use the bank app's deposit feature to deposit the checks I receive.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:30 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXFIRE2034 View Post
Yes, I refuse to pay a 3 percent convenience fee to use a credit card. That's for the quarterly condo fee, tax payments, son's monthly apartment payment, etc.

Until recently, our DMV didn't accept credit cards. Check or cash only.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:38 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAt55.5 View Post
Yes, I refuse to pay a 3 percent convenience fee to use a credit card. That's for the quarterly condo fee, tax payments, son's monthly apartment payment, etc.

Until recently, our DMV didn't accept credit cards. Check or cash only.
And sometimes we have to write out a check for one of son's who think they don't need to have checks (until they do).