Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-06-2024, 05:39 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I echo many here - have been a USAA member since 1981. They used to be a great one-stop shop - not so much anymore. I use their insurance products and keep a notional amount of cash in my checking account to cover the auto-pay to my credit card for the insurance premiums. I have had several painful phone calls with them when moving to/from overseas the last few times and it was baffling as they used to be so easy to deal with as military personnel tended to move a lot. Things change, I guess. For now, I will stay with them for insurance only.

For FL residents, I've heard that USAA will cover your house, although it is quite expensive. My father, who has lived in mid FL for 30+ years now was not as happy as he used to be, however, he said that is his only option for now.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2024, 06:19 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by teej1985 View Post
That's not necessary You can auto pay your USAA homeowners and auto insurance with any Visa or Mastercard credit card, for no fee.

FLSUnFIRE was also unaware of this though it's been the case since at least 2010 when I opened my first policies.
That info paid for the cost of my E-R subscription! Now when my 2% WF card dings that my USAA bill hit I get another hit of feel good hormones. I did confirm that the cost did not change with the first charge vice debit.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:20 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I created a CMA account with Fidelity, which I didn't technically have to do since the brokerage account can have checking nad debit card. But it will allow for easier management.

The management tool will not remove cash automatically if hitting the max level but there is an overdraft protection drawing from the brokerage account.

Will they have a problem if I set the overdraft protection and leave the account empty at all times?
perinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 10:38 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don’t know.

But since the CMA is actually a full brokerage account with a cash management wrapper (really I think that’s mostly a FDIC insured bank core, plus maybe more debit card perks), you can buy any other security in there. You should also be able to transfer securities in kind from another Fidelity brokerage to fund it.

I expect the overdraft protection can only be filled by MM Funds in the linked brokerage account anyway. So just keep sufficient MM funds in the CMA directly. And as I mentioned above, Fidelity will automatically draw from MM funds when the core is depleted. I use that convenient feature all the time.
Old 02-11-2024, 04:19 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Simplify Vanguard into Fidelity

still on the same 'simplification' subject, it looks like it is possible to hold Vanguard funds in a Fidelity account.
There is no fee to sell them, but I think some fee to buy.

Anyone has done this?
perinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 07:32 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, the fee to buy is quite steep ($75). No fee for selling or reinvesting distributions.

However buying and selling the Vanguard ETFs is commission free at Fidelity, so that would seem to be the most cost efficient way to do it unless you are interested in a mutual fund that doesn’t have an equivalent ETF.
Old 02-11-2024, 07:51 PM   #27

I remember the "Old USAA" fondly - but it was for their low price insurance - if I recall they insured only officers/families in the military services?

Then they decided they needed to be big and do everything - and, the one thing I liked about them was gone forever.

Even their insurance rates are rarely competitive - and, I have several friends who have had issues following car accidents - and home damage. This never happened with the "Old USAA."

Now - I would never use them as a financial institution - they are not competitive in any way that I am able to discern.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote