Do I take the job?

nhcycling

Recycles dryer sheets
Am looking to retire in 3-4 years time. The job market in the Boston area for technology professionals is HOT. Do I stay at my present non profit company where I’m well respected but are tired of continually moving from assignment to assignment once I get the work headed in the right direction, and aren’t too crazy about recent top down organization changes OR do I jump to another MegaCorp for 20-30% more pay and bank it all?

Am looking to retire in 3-4 years time. The job market in the Boston area for technology professionals is HOT. Do I stay at my present non profit company where I’m well respected but are tired of continually moving from assignment to assignment once I get the work headed in the right direction, and aren’t too crazy about recent top down organization changes OR do I jump to another MegaCorp for 20-30% more pay and bank it all?

Jump!

Find the right fit and jump! Unless you are giving up a big pension. Yeah, right...

Is 20% to 30 % going to make a big difference for 3-4 years?

You gotta make the call, but that green grass over there is some times an illusion. More hassle, more travel, more BS.

There are probably 50 variables that go into such an analysis, which is more complexity than Internet strangers can help with reliably. Quality of my supervisor is enormous for me, commute hassle, whether taking the job gives me more options than the current one, what is best for my marriage, budget problems at the current org or there, resources to do the work expected, normal work day or 24/7 tethered and on call, etc, etc, etc. Salary is somewhere on that complicated list but not tops for me. I once turned down a chance to double my salary, because my wife didn’t want me on the road all the time. She was right and an inner voice told me that shiny object would have turned to lead in no time.

I'll go with CardsFan - stay put.

You have seniority where you are. You're respected and don't have to prove anything to anyone. You know your job and responsibilities. If you jump, you will be starting at square one, bottom of the totem pole, and during the honeymoon period, you'll be going above and beyond to prove yourself. You're going to be working harder and likely putting in more hours. That's what your first 6 to 12 months is going to be like.

Only you can decide, but don't just look at it as 20% to 30% more money (maybe really 15% to 25% after taxes), there are other aspects to it.

Sounds like the current job is not as "fun" anymore with assignments or management. If a new job provides new fun, new technology, and new personal challenge, I would go with switching. The +20 - 30% is nice, but you probably don't need it, but they probably have deeper pockets to reward a job well done. It can fund a crazy purchase or extra annual trip.

Yes Jump.
After all, in 2 years you may find another company offering another 30% jump.
While the market is hot, the risk is lower that you will jump and then they suddenly lay everyone off.
It will be harder, but doing new things is exciting, besides won't you be disappointed if you stay and your non-profit management decides to lay you off.

However, as someone mentioned, don't jump if it kills your pension (if any).

There will be some risks in changing, but you do not have a lot of time to go anyway.

Do you have the energy ‘in the bank’ to make such a change at this point, knowing what your ultimate next step is going to be?

...tired of continually moving from assignment to assignment once I get the work headed in the right direction, and aren’t too crazy about recent top down organization changes

The above highlighted two points happen everywhere, no matter what the hiring manager tells you, and will happen again everywhere over 3-4 years.

my present non profit company where I’m well respected

Now that point? That doesn't happen everywhere, and chances are you won't get that feeling again being at a new place with only 3-4 years. Leaving that for 20-30%, into a potentially sluggish economy, assuming you're already over 40 and it's in IT?...nope I'd stay put and find ways to not let the org stuff get to you.

ETA: You wrote this 3 weeks ago:
I did it 10 years ago, gave up that high paying demanding, stressful job. I enjoy what I do now but I love being home in the evening, not working weekends, not traveling. Best decision yet.
You are not going to have evenings and weekends free in a new hot IT role, and you very likely will have travel.

Last edited:
Investigate all aspects of the job being offered, including the work environment.

If the market is hot, you can look around for a job with higher pay, that suits your preferences.

At this stage of your career, only you will know whether it's worth while to jump.

I am 4 years away from finishing my engineering work, and I am not looking to change even if some other co offers to double my compensation. I still get unsolicited calls and mails from recruiters though I haven't got any active resume since 10 years ago. And I was a jumpy person as I worked for 9 company during the past 22 years.

Since you don't have an offer, I'd say it sounds like a good time to test your skills toolbox on the market. Your experience may be a good fit with one of the hot companies.

The above highlighted two points happen everywhere, no matter what the hiring manager tells you, and will happen again everywhere over 3-4 years.

Now that point? That doesn't happen everywhere, and chances are you won't get that feeling again being at a new place with only 3-4 years. Leaving that for 20-30%, into a potentially sluggish economy, assuming you're already over 40 and it's in IT?...nope I'd stay put and find ways to not let the org stuff get to you.

ETA: You wrote this 3 weeks ago:

You are not going to have evenings and weekends free in a new hot IT role, and you very likely will have travel.

Yes, true. I think I’m just bored now after years in the slow lane. What this non profit considers high pressure and challenging isn’t really, and they give me their so called high visibility assignments.

I’m thinking I need something fresh and new. I don’t know. Maybe I need to find a non work passion for 3-4 more years?

Is 20% to 30 % going to make a big difference for 3-4 years?

You gotta make the call, but that green grass over there is some times an illusion. More hassle, more travel, more BS.

20-30% doesn’t make a difference in the big scheme. It may be that one big splurge though.

There are probably 50 variables that go into such an analysis, which is more complexity than Internet strangers can help with reliably. Quality of my supervisor is enormous for me, commute hassle, whether taking the job gives me more options than the current one, what is best for my marriage, budget problems at the current org or there, resources to do the work expected, normal work day or 24/7 tethered and on call, etc, etc, etc. Salary is somewhere on that complicated list but not tops for me. I once turned down a chance to double my salary, because my wife didn’t want me on the road all the time. She was right and an inner voice told me that shiny object would have turned to lead in no time.

I loved what I did for 9 years before they reorganized. I had a great management team, cool technology. This past year they reorganized to central groups, it’s meh. There’s not enough skilled staff that do what I do so they keep moving me from one ‘rescue’ assignment to another. It takes tremendous energy to learn and get up to speed quickly. Just when the tough part is done and the project is over that hump, off I go to the next thing instead of staying with it for a half year or longer to completion.

Just when the tough part is done and the project is over that hump, off I go to the next thing instead of staying with it for a half year or longer to completion.

Your boss has recognized that you are a good firefighter, and he's gonna keep tossing you into fires until/unless you say something. Have you had that chat?

I am in the same spot as you, although I am semi-retired. I applied for a job on a lark and now have an interview on Tuesday. Taking it would entail moving overseas and learning a newish system, however, if the job description is truly what I would be doing, it would be fairly challenging and interesting. I would not have applied if it had not seemed interesting and a very good fit to my experience and desires for intellectual stimulation. I did not care about the compensation.

I then cursorily calculated the financial and other benefits and realized it would be a no-brainer to take the job if offered. It is a three year assignment and I can leave the job after that - I would essentially be stockpiling quite a bit of money for three years. All while having weekends and some free time to travel while overseas.

Downsides: house management while overseas, back to daily grind and minimal vacation time (starting over), unknown fellow colleagues, etc.

But what is great is I could just quit if I didn't like it - I would lose a little bit, but not much and it gives me another interesting experience in my life.

The key for me though, is I will be happy either way - I have some great plans and have enough financial cushion and my own consulting company that I will always be able to do what I want.

The above scenario to me is why I LYBM'd for so long and invested. To have the options and opportunities that I do - to be able to say yes or no because I want to and not because I have to.

You are in the same spot - if you know your predilections and know it is temporary and can handle the risks, then go for it assuming you have home support. Even if you don't, what a great position to be in - I am so thankful for the opportunities and experiences I have had good and bad!!!

I can't say what you should do, let me say what I did. Maybe there's something in it?

I transferred internally when I had 2 years left on my plan. I was well respected but hated the new organization after the last reorg.

I knew the group I was going to , frequently worked with them, thought they were pretty good people to work around. My new VP was known to me, I had a lot of respect for him. He was a former marine and I had worked with many, one a mentor.

Well my new peers became two screaming childlike idiots who cried over any perceived injustice. My VP, who was an officer in the Corp, had the leadership skills of a PO'ed drill sergeant. I left a year short of my goal.

You never know.

What did you decide?

Since 2004, I've called myself a mercenary with regards to work. Go for the highest salary, take on more responsibility, move locations as needed, and earn more, so that I can retire earlier. I've been lucky in that I've been able to do all this without working more than 40 hours a week, on average. So, what does 20 to 30% more for four years get you? A new Corvette? A year of travel? A safety margin? What does it cost you? As others here said, without more info, speculation as to your right answer is only that.

Back
Top Bottom