Do you auto-pay your CC accounts?

I only have 4 CC all at BOA. I pay them off each month end through the online transfer process.

I prefer not to autopay- I do it only for the mortgage (because it's important) and for other business that insist on "pulling" from my account, such as Planet Fitness. Don't like it but I have no choice. I don't get paper cc bills- I review them on line and all 3 (soon to be two) are set up with the same billing date so I do them all at once. For smaller bills (sewer, water, some other utilities) I set them up to be paid as soon as I get the statement.

I prefer the flexibility of paying my own bills- it also means that if I change checking accounts it's less hassle to stop all the auto-pays on the old account.

I pay many bills on auto pay, as many as possible on CC, then have my CC bill scheduled on autopay... the CC provider pulls the full payment from my ck account on the scheduled date... been doing this for many years and have never had a problem.

I get all my bills online, not paper. And I do not have a "pull" for any payment from my account. For the bills that are the same each month, I set up automatic payment and then I just schedule the rest of the payments (online check pay) after I get the bill. I usually have all my payments arrive several days before the due date just to be on the safe side.

I’ve done autopay on everything I could for about 40 years. Credit cards were the first ones I signed up for. We are heavy users and pay off in full monthly. Once, many years ago, my ATT card changed the due date, but not the pull date and I got hit with a finance charge. One phone call, finance charge was reversed, and account fixed. I wasn’t the only customer it happened to.

The other time it was my mortgage. Bank error. Someone pulled the wrong magtape, and posted the 15ths transactions again on the 21st. Lots of apologies, and fee reversals.

2 mistakes in over 40 years? I’ll take it.

I believe I have every CC on autopay, either the full balance or minimum amount due, but I usually pay them off before they are due. Autopay is just there to ensure that we don't accidentally miss a payment or can't make an online payment.

cathy, can you perhaps elaborate on the bolded part? A check, I understand; it's printed at the bottom. But on an electronic bill-pay??... Are you suggesting that I provide my bank's routing#/account# to the vendor every time I pay them using electronic bill-pay?

I meant that you provide that info if you pay at the vendor's website and let them pull an ACH debit from your account. If you pay by using your bank's bill pay feature, and the money is transferred electronically, then your bank account number should not be sent.

I have autopay for my CC. It is easy to handle. My closing date is the 28 th, my due date is the 25th of the next month. All I do is to make sure there is nought $ in the account to cover the payment.

I quit having Ms.G call when she is on the way back home, I just tell to put gas in the truck.

:LOL:

I know when my wife is about to leave her hairdresser because I get a credit card alert and a family calendar notification.

I frequently get an alert in restaurants before the server gets back to my table with my card. This can be helpful when the lights are too dim to read the charge slip (cataracts).

But it IS annoying to get an alert when autopay charges are processed in the middle of the night.

Back on topic: I have everything that I possibly can on autopay. Under the right circumstances I could be dead (and much richer) for years before anybody noticed.

nope, but we pay off the balance every month and have since about 1972. all of our other monthly bills are auto paid. why not the CC's...i like to think it's becuz i want to retain control but it's also about being able to delay payment until 72-hrs before the bill is due.

nope, but we pay off the balance every month and have since about 1972. all of our other monthly bills are auto paid. why not the CC's...i like to think it's becuz i want to retain control but it's also about being able to delay payment until 72-hrs before the bill is due.

We have autopay pay the day due or 1 day before so we get max delay. Only on the Costco VISA have I needed to pay 2-3 days ahead.

I basically use two credit cards. One is set up with all my autopay bills, utilities, Netflix, newspaper, gym membership, toll pass, etc. The amounts are close to the same every month and a quick monthly scan confirms no hanky-panky. The CC is set to autopay. My second card I use for everything else and is set to autopay. I collect points on both. I have one utility that is pulled from my checking account.

This is effecient and easy to scan for fraud. I used to own more real estate and changing the utilities to auto pay was a great time saver.

I have had fraud occur on my general CC, which the bank caught and sent me a new card. With all of my ebills on a different card I don't have to go through the work of changing the ebills to a new autopay CC.

My CC is with the same bank as my checking account. It takes me less than a minute by phone to transfer funds from my checking to pay my CC.

My CC is with the same bank as my checking account. It takes me less than a minute by phone to transfer funds from my checking to pay my CC.

Exactly my situation.

Never.

We get an on line statement and then we pay it.

I have all my regular bills on autopay. For my ccs I go on and review all the charges on line and then schedule the full payment on line.

I auto pay everything I can. I bill as much as possible to CCs and let the CCs pull from checking. I have never had a serious problem although some of the charges that go to CCs were late when the CCs expired. I don't want to incur interest on the CCs so I don't rely on manual payments which could get screwed up during travel. I have never encountered a problem with insufficient funds but I have a $20K overdraft line of credit associated with checking so I would not bounce a check if something went wrong.

Both of our primary CC accounts are paid automatically, pulled from the CC companies.

I keep a close eye on all charges, so there aren't any surprises.

I play the rewards game so always have a lot of cards. I charge everything unless there is a fee (my water bill for example). The only way to manage it all is auto pay, otherwise something would fall through the cracks. All transactions get downloaded to quicken which I review daily. Quicken also lets me see at a glance how much outstanding balance I have on all cards and what my checking account balance is so I know if I need to transfer any money to cover the current balances when they autopay. Works wonderfully!

But it IS annoying to get an alert when autopay charges are processed in the middle of the night.
I have those alerts come via email, and I don't have a notification for incoming emails. The only one that forces me to get a text is AT&T mobile. I tried to turn it off but it never worked, even after I opened a case. Finally I just blacklisted the number those autopay messages come from.

Back
Top Bottom