Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-30-2017, 06:51 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
That's a rather silly concern. Anybody who has ever written a check has given someone their routing and account number, and an example of their signature for that matter. And probably their home address and phone number.

I've been autopaying some bills for over 15 years, and have never had a problem. I pay everything electronically except a few bills that don't allow it. I could probably use the bank bill pay for them, but it's just as easy to write a check for the very few (lawn guy, mostly).

I do it in your 1, 3, then 2 order. I basically autopay everything that is the same (or pretty close) each month, and personally e-pay everything else. Again, I've been doing this for both my personal and business bills for a long time, and have never had a problem (knocking on wood as I type this). If I had a problem I might be a little more paranoid about it, but so far so good.
Yep. Mailing a check has the same effect.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2017, 06:59 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
A bit ignorant... it isn't at their whim... it is based on my instructions as to what to pay when and I can withdraw or amend those instructions at any time of my chosing.

If they do not follow those instructions then they do so at their own legal peril.
Surprised that you are into name calling! I always valued your insight and contributions in the past.

"Whim" was meant as an exaggeration. While most vendors are honest, I have been bitten several times and have found my negotiating position in settling disputes is much better if I have the money and not trying to recover from someone else. And I authorize electronic payments at the same time I also monitor this forum, or my favorite tax forum, so I gain a comfortable degree of control with very little time expended.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:24 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

To be clear... I was characterizing the statement that a vendor could transfer money at their whim as a bit ignorant... there was nothing personal about it... I would have thought that would be clear from the wording that followed but perhaps is wasn't.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:25 PM   #64

All my monthly bills are autopay to a cash back credit card. No fees and does not allow access to my checking account. I would use the cc for taxes however the surcharge exceeds the cash back. I have found the cc company easier to deal with than a bank when problems or disputes occur.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:22 PM   #65

Clark's take on it:

Old 11-30-2017, 09:22 PM   #66

Just about everything is autopay. Most using a CC, but my utilities charge a fee for CC, so they pull from my checking. We've been doing this for well over 20 years and I can't recall a single event where the wrong amount was taken from my account.

I had to write a check for my property taxes the other day since they don't take CC without a fee. I almost forgot how to do it. Had to find one of those stamp things too.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:27 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

I'm curious. Can those of you who have had bad experiences with autopay or pulling from an account give more details? Were these major companies like a phone or CC company? Were they mistakes, or malicious? I've never known anyone personally to have any problems like this, and would like to get an idea about the situations where they occurred. Basically, is it common enough to really worry about, or just a statistically insignificant chance? I would think if it happened regularly I'd hear a lot more about it, especially as I keep up with electronic security and risks issues.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:55 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm curious. Can those of you who have had bad experiences with autopay or pulling from an account give more details? Were these major companies like a phone or CC company? Were they mistakes, or malicious? I've never known anyone personally to have any problems like this, and would like to get an idea about the situations where they occurred. Basically, is it common enough to really worry about, or just a statistically insignificant chance? I would think if it happened regularly I'd hear a lot more about it, especially as I keep up with electronic security and risks issues.
Earlier this year Florida Blue erroneously drafted customer accounts multiple times. This affected 9500 customers! That's the only case I've ever heard of:

Florida Blue payment glitch: What you need to know - Orlando Sentinel

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business...502-story.html
Old 11-30-2017, 11:02 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Looks like they had ~731,000 ACA policies in 2016... so a little over 1% were affected one time.... it would suck to be one of those impacted though.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:27 PM   #70

Quote:
some details in post#23 in this thread. Major companies/likely mistakes.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:58 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

I do use ACH from my bank account to pay my monthly health insurance premiums, but I don't have it on autopay because I have changed insurance companies several times in the last few years and I don't want to have to deal with stopping one and starting another, worrying about if the outgoing IC will stop drawing my money. By doing it manually every month with a simply point-and-click in their website, I maintain some control over each withdrawal.

I began using autopay back around 1993 for my mortgage. I was glad to do it because I had a tough time with that lender after doing a refi in 1992 and knew they probably wouldn't but me any breaks if a check arrived late in the mail. Using ACH autopay eliminated that possibility and put the burden on them to take the money. I had no problems with the lender.

Throughout the 1990s, the local utilities added autopay. They included the electric, phone, and cable TV. Internet went to my CC back then. Co-op maintenance payment still went via mailed personal check.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:06 AM   #72

I never considered credit card auto pay, but I might as well do that and earn some points.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:47 AM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.

No autopay on property taxes.

Autopay on many bills, but not all.

If something goes wrong even once on even one bill, I will have to revisit the auto-pay method. Whether for that one vendor or all vendors depends on the damage.
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:36 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

In an earlier post I mentioned how I got my dad to start with autopay following an unexpected injury which left him in a hospital and rehab center for just over 3 weeks. I had a similar event 2 years ago when a trip to the ER became a 12-day hospital stay. I had bills due in those 12 days but because I had autopay for both the inflows and outflows, nothing was paid late and all the money was there to pay for them. My experience made for a good selling point to get my dad on board with autopay. I want to get him on board with online banking in case he is unable to get to the bank or mail a check, but convincing my 86-year-old dad who can barely use a PC to do that is a much tougher lift. Hey, I take the wins I can get, right?
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:53 AM   #75

Just counted and I autopay 14 accounts monthly. Always pay full amount due.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:17 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

We autopay via credit card everything we can, both for the home accounts and for the rentals. Fidelity 2% cash back card except when a card bonus requires a certain spend amount. For instance CB&T has an AmaZing $1000 bonus card that requires a $7500 spend - pretty fierce amount, but we pay over $1000/month for water & sewer on our Oregon home and some rentals, so I'll change from the Fidelity to the AmaZing card for a few months. California wants 2.3% as a "convenience fee" if we pay property taxes with a card, so I'm trying to avoid that. We pay property taxes once/year to take advantage of the Oregon early payment discount, so no autopay there, but monthly bills we certainly schedule for automatic.Used to use autopays from the checking account, and still do for the few places that won't pull from the card accounts, but that 2% minimum discount has seduced me. We stay right on top of all bills and track in Quicken; with two people and seven addresses with monthly bills we appreciate automation - can't remember a time in the last decade or more there has been an error I didn't cause.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:46 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

I have three credit cards I use constantly since each excels in giving me cash back for certain types of purchases. In order to make sure I don't get hit with a late payment charge, I use my bank's bill paying feature to send each card the minimum payment each month. And the notification email serves as a reminder that I better check the entire bill and pay all that is owed before I get hit with more interest charges.

I did this after being away on vacation for a few weeks and missing (for the first time in many, many years) a payment. The interest was less than $5, but the late fee was about $20. Now they always get the minimum payment.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:02 AM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

I pay most bills on auto-pay except the utilities - here in Austin TX there has been numerous water bill errors in amounts over $1k and it takes months to resolve and
even when they do admit error they pay you back in installments.
dirt_dobber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:09 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

I'll admit that you all got me curious.

Autopay to credit card: cable TV, internet, auto tolls, cellphones
Autopay pulled by vendor: credit card payments, internet, electric bills, car payments, life insurance premium, health insurance
Push to vendor (automatic recurring bank bill pays): mortgage, HOA fees

Big dollar items are credit card, mortgage, HOA fees, car payment and health insurance

Only ones that I could easily change if I was paranoid about something bad happening would be the car payment and health insurance.

At this point I like it the way it is, have never had a problem but would reconsider if I ever did have a problem.

Our property taxes are once annually for each property so while I pay them through the bank bill pay I view them as the same as writing a check... but simpler and with no need for postage.

I signed up
Old 12-01-2017, 01:45 PM   #80

I signed up

Quote:
Payment for APN/Account Number ××××××÷÷÷÷ in the amount of $1546.38 is due on or before 12/11/2017. If you have already scheduled or made this payment, please disregard this message. It is recommended that you schedule your first payment transaction at least seven (7) business days prior to the delinquent date. In the event that a transaction is unsuccessful, there will be sufficient time to re-submit payment before delinquent penalties apply.

Please confirm that your Payment Account information (Credit/Debit Card, Checking/Savings) is correct and current. Update this information by logging in to the payment scheduler at https://-------------.aspx if it has changed.

Contra Costa County Tax Collector's office
I actually think I'll like this option if it works. Based upon the terminology here, I use "push to pay" as all bills (ex property taxes) are sent to bank, scheduled to be paid in full on due date
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote