Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-17-2009, 05:16 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave5 View Post
Seems there's more people writing blogs than reading blogs.
And that's not necessarily a bad thing! Writing is a skill that benefits from practice and work.

Yes, I have a blog, and no, I am not giving out the link. As far as I know, the only people who have ever seen it are Frank and my daughter, and both have probably forgotten about it.

The purpose of my blog is to work on my writing skills and thought processes, and to express my most intense, unedited opinions in ways that are not meant for the general public. It is for myself, only. I only post in it in spurts, when I feel like it.

I don't see why anybody who is interested in blogs doesn't start his or her own. If you look, you can find blogging sites online that are free or very nearly so. Then if you start a blog and decide you don't like it, so what. It will just be yet another abandoned blog.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2009, 10:53 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

No, I read some blogs though. I think I would enjoy it but as I'm w*rking I don't think I could commit the time to do a good one. As others have mentioned, you would have to update it regularly...so maybe post-retirement it would be something I would do. Of course, by then blogging would probably be obsolete...
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:56 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I also use my blog for satisfying my need for writing. We call it our "travelogue" and that is pretty much what it is - travel journalism. We also only give out the link to family and close friends. Since we both do a lot of photography and I enjoy researching the areas we visit so it dovetails with that type of writing very well.

But I'm over two years behind!!!! I've got loads of material that I haven't posted yet.

And besides I'm busy working on my book - a nice big coffee-table type book! The photos for the book are already a year old.

Whatever......

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
No, I don't. I have heard of "blogging" but have never been quite sure what it was. I Googled it to answer this question, and I definitely do not. I am not a techie. The most I do is read stuff online(WSJ, NYT, London Times), access my investment accounts, book airline tickets, research things that interest me and e-mail. I am not even quite sure what Twitter is except that it sounds stupid. Who care about every little thing you do? Also do not know how to text message or take photos on my phone or post photos or links to other stuff on the computer. I am one of those who is still confused about "quotes" on this forum. I have to quote the whole thing, not take portions of it. We keep a subcontracted IT guy at work full-time to help us with little things. He will never leave or be in jeopardy of losing his job. There! I have come clean!
May I join you in that sad list of IT challenged?
Old 06-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've got 2 blogs. One is a small martial arts blog, the other is a personal blog. I don't update either as frequently as I probably should.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:14 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I got a pretty simple blog. Did it for myself really. Just what I like.

tommy lueby's spot
cashflo2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #27
Gone but not forgotten

Cashflo2u2, Great blog ! The pictures were top notch ! I loved it !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

I am a coauthor of blog that has six other writers. Works nice to keep things active and moving along. And you can take extended breaks if you tire of things. But this works as it is a special topic blogs in contrast to personal life blogs.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #29

I think of writing a blog about my ER experience so far, my planning for it etc., but I don't know if I can keep up the posts regularly. As others have said, without regular posts, they just die. I could use some of my posts here as entries.

I also wonder why anyone would want to read it if they already knew about this great forum!

Thanks all for the feedback & thanks for the links.

Here's a photo blog I had started a while ago... and haven't updated for ages
http://walkinwood.blogspot.com/
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
But this works as it is a special topic blogs in contrast to personal life blogs.
Yeah, not many folks want to read a blog on "the care and feeding of the titan arum plant"...
Old 06-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I think of writing a blog about my ER experience so far, my planning for it etc., but I don't know if I can keep up the posts regularly. As others have said, without regular posts, they just die. I could use some of my posts here as entries.

I also wonder why anyone would want to read it if they already knew about this great forum!

Thanks all for the feedback & thanks for the links.

walkinwood
Nice pictures. I am a totally useless photographer. Maybe combining ER topics with pics thrown in would be a nice blog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yeah, not many folks want to read a blog on "the care and feeding of the titan arum plant"...

But they smell so purdy.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:09 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post
I got a pretty simple blog. Did it for myself really. Just what I like.

tommy lueby's spot
Loved the photography! I'd really like to know the story behind the white horse. Would you care to tell us?
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:35 AM   #33
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post

walkinwood

Great Photos ! You are really talented !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote