Do you carry Medical payments coverage on your car insurance?

Good question

No, I do not buy medical auto insurance. No, I do not think auto medical insurance is needed.

No, do you think it is needed?

We do, and obviously we think it is needed since we're paying for it.

Like many places, uninsured and underinsured drivers are prevalent in WV.

We do. It can cover someone’s deductible or minor injuries if not covered.

We do. If a passenger is hurt in an accident I cause - I want the coverage.

Plus - I was able to use it in college when a woman backed out of her driveway into my motorcycle... She, of course had no insurance... (Good thing there was no one on the sidewalk - she came screaming out of her driveway without looking.) At the time, my health insurance did not require repayment if I collected under my *own* auto insurance. So I was covered by my health insurance and got my "pain and suffering" (4 months in a cast and a summer spent doing PT.)

I think my umbrella policy also requires it.

We do, and obviously we think it is needed since we're paying for it.

Like many places, uninsured and underinsured drivers are prevalent in WV.

Medical Payments is a small amount of coverage that pays out regardless of fault. It's not the same as liability coverage and is meant to settle small, simple losses. I'd thought it was bundled in with all auto policies and I just checked- my declarations pages specifically says I have no "Medical" coverage. I do, however, have very high liability limits, Uninsured/Underinsured and an Umbrella policy.

An example of when I offered Med Pay to someone- a friend's stubborn 3-year old, after repeatedly being told NOT to dive off the side of our diving board, did when no one noticed and was dragged bleeding to the ER for a few stitches. They had insurance but I offered to file a Med Pay claim under my Homeowners Insurance to cover any out-of-pocket, They said it wasn't necessary.

We are forced to have $10,000 PIP (Personal Injury Protection?) in FL. We also have Uninsured BI. We don't have Medical.

$10K per person coverage, costs $2.66 per month

My daughter was injured in an accident that was the fault of an uninsured driver. She used her own auto insurance Medical coverage to pay for the treatment of her injuries. But she only had $5,000 of coverage, which was not enough. She and I have since raised our respective limits to $10,000.

Yep and yep. I got my bills paid and the at fault party had to pay me as well. Highly dependent on your state though to know how things work as not all are equal.

It might be worth it, but be aware that your medical insurer has legal rights to be reimbursed from any payout you receive.

From my years working in the actuarial field, specializing in personal auto insurance, I found that states which had mandatory PIP (no-fault) tended to not have Med Pay, and vice versa. In most PIP states, that coverage is mandatory. Med Pay is never mandatory although when it is offered, most people (75%-95%) buy it.

There were a few states which had both PIP and Med Pay. In those states, either PIP was optional, or PIP had such a low maximum limit that many people bought Med Pay simply as another way to buy a higher limit of medical coverage.

We have something described as coordinated medical benefits. I’m not sure the exact framework, but in discussion with my agent, I have the highest insurance level I can have. I don’t care if I’m over insured. If I get in a life changing accident, I want my best chance at getting the best care for me or someone I may have hurt. I have a significant umbrella policy as well.

My daughter was injured in an accident that was the fault of an uninsured driver. She used her own auto insurance Medical coverage to pay for the treatment of her injuries. But she only had $5,000 of coverage, which was not enough. She and I have since raised our respective limits to $10,000.

What are your uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM, often combined) limits?

That coverage would pay for rehabilitation for serious injuries from another driver.

One attorney I read online recommended it be $1 million on your auto policy.

Mine is currently half that, but I'll probably raise it once the last kid graduates college & goes off my policy later this year.

What are your uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM, often combined) limits?

That coverage would pay for rehabilitation for serious injuries from another driver.

One attorney I read online recommended it be $1 million on your auto policy.

Mine is currently half that, but I'll probably raise it once the last kid graduates college & goes off my policy later this year.

But don't most folks have medical insurance, so that would cover a lot of the medical costs, and might just need to meet deductibles out of pocket max for a few years in a row.

I have it. $13 annual premium.

I have $5K in medical payments coverage at somewhat similar cost, $11 every 6 months. It was mandatory in Maryland, at considerably higher cost.

Since I sometimes carry people in my car who I don't know or only know slightly*, for hiking carpools and rides, it might not hurt to increase it.

*in non-COVID times.

Yeah, we have it but not certain of the dollar amount of coverage. Probably don't need it with MC and supplement, but I have not reviewed for a while. Maybe I should. YMMV

Yeah, we have it but not certain of the dollar amount of coverage. Probably don't need it with MC and supplement, but I have not reviewed for a while. Maybe I should. YMMV

Maybe not you but the your passengers.

Back
Top Bottom