Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Brogan,

If you believe that:

Quote:
Instead of 20 yrs of double digit up-markets & amazing real estate gains...remove that from your portfolio....and substitute the meat grinder, low single digit real returns we've seen & might expect for a while....where would you be today?
For pre-retirement folks moving forward, this entire investment / retirement thing is now a different ball game.
I'm amazed there's so much focus here on "how things have worked in the past".
The past is gone, and using it to project the future is very dangerous.
How can you say that:
Quote:
My outlook for MYSELF...secure and already well funded.
What makes your future any more secure than ours?
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #82
Dryer sheet aficionado

I can beleive my future is way more secure than the "other 90%" out there...because I already have accumulated enough $ to fund a comfortable retirement. And continue to add to this fund.
My comments are directed at the folks who are in the process of accumulation. They're the ones who are depending on past results having a bearing on future returns. All these " projected returns". Always positive, pls note.
Me...I'm depending only on the Fed backing up the my bank deposits since I don't have faith in the future market returns.
I think my risk is a little less than most.
brogan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:35 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brogan007 View Post
I can beleive my future is way more secure than the "other 90%" out there...because I already have accumulated enough $ to fund a comfortable retirement. And continue to add to this fund.
My comments are directed at the folks who are in the process of accumulation. They're the ones who are depending on past results having a bearing on future returns. All these " projected returns". Always positive, pls note.
Me...I'm depending only on the Fed backing up the my bank deposits since I don't have faith in the future market returns.
I think my risk is a little less than most.
I see. In my case, low market returns during the accumulation phase are mostly irrelevant because that phase is going to be quite short. How much I save each month has proved far more important so far to reach my goal.

I am more concerned about post-retirement real returns.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #84
Dryer sheet aficionado

"In my case, low market returns during the accumulation phase are mostly irrelevant "

Just to point out the obvious, but....if the market returns are negative, I think you'll find them pretty relevant. Hence my point re. why future projected returns always seem to be positive........?
brogan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brogan007 View Post
"In my case, low market returns during the accumulation phase are mostly irrelevant "

Just to point out the obvious, but....if the market returns are negative, I think you'll find them pretty relevant. Hence my point re. why future projected returns always seem to be positive........?
Well, if they are indeed negative, then I would argue that the retiree is in worse position than the accumulator.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:08 AM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.

I feel that my present is a little precarious but my future is much more secure. If I can just maintain my current situation for another five years I believe I'll be set. Despite the volatility in the stock market I view investments as a more secure source of income than a job. So, as I build up my investment income my security increases.

In five years I'll reach "critical mass". At that point my investment returns will be large enough that I can adequately grow my net worth without needing to divert any of my w-2 income into them. As you all know, when you first start out investing, truly the only important factor is the savings rate.

Another factor, which I have mentioned in another thread, is that I believe the job market will be tremendously better five years from now. There will be a skilled labor shortage in the not too distant future and it will get worse for many years. I think we could be looking at least a decade long skilled labor shortage, starting five years from now.
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote